main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***Second Official Lightsaber Choreography Competition- Finalized Rules and Entry Guidelines***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MacGyver635, Apr 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    You know, if this is going to happen, we DO need a date set about that far ahead. At least a February deadline... Trust me, IT'S GONNA TAKE THAT LONG...

And Sam, THANKS for that heavy glance buddy... Means a lot...

8-}

Sage H.

2. myself_me

myself_me Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2003
    At least a February deadline... Trust me, IT'S GONNA TAKE THAT LONG...

Might even take longer... How about a few weeks (1-3) that would allow the competers to plan out their duel, but disallow them to start? That WOULD be fair....

I don't get it ^^

[face_plain]

3. MacGyver635

MacGyver635 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2002
    ...aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyways...

February sounds good to me. Everyone think they could be ready?

-Mac

4. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Ready?

Puh-leeze. My entry is more than ready, it's already hosted on this site under the name "Intermezzo Dualis: Reloaded".

I know that forfeits my chance of actually being in the competition but, watch me not care. :)

So what y'all else been up to? Lazy bums :) *giggle*

/Z

5. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Ok people... You have until February 28th to throw at us what you've got... Entries go up on March 1st. NO EXCEPTIONS. You find your own bandwidth for hosting. If you don't have any, find someone who does and make friends with them FAST.

New set of rules guys! Keep it under five minutes. Must be in by the 28th of February. Now, the kicker: No holds barred, everything goes. Do what you want to do, just make sure you have lightsabers in there somewhere. We encourage you to use them primarily, but we won't send Fig to your house if you don't stick to that. Maybe, we won't anyway... You don't HAVE to have your clip roto'ed to enter, but it would certainly help your chances to do so. Any other issues that arrise, Mac and I will deal with in our following posts.

So have fun, go wild, and remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose. It's how much of an effort you put forth in complaining that your fight should've won...

:)

Sage H.

6. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    cool!!! ANYTHING GOES!

7. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I would suggest that you create a new thread as this one is quite long already and it will dissuade newcomers from clicking on it as they will be so far behind.

I say make a new thread with all the "rules" and the deadline spelled out nice and clear. You should attract more entrants that way.

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    So this is no longer a LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY competition so much as a fight film competition?

M. Scott

9. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    I'm not complaining. Actually, yeah, that'd be cool. SOME effect has to be involved, no kung-fu. You don't know it.

10. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    no kung fu IF you dont know it

11. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    Heh, you can count some Planet with No Name scenes in that. I wonder if we can submit different fights separately, since Jedi_Spiff and I had different Directorial/Choreography chores for each one.

12. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    no kung-fu, eh? what about jiu jitsu, muay thai, and kempo?

13. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    This looks to be turning into a best short fanfilm competition. Which is cool and all, but you should specify that it's either that, or that it should be one long fight scene (with a 5 min. time limit). Just some thoughts, that is all.

~DK~

14. Lightsaber_Style8675

Lightsaber_Style8675 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2003
    I'm in. February 28th it is.

15. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Yes, Mike, that's EXACTLY what this is now... A five minute fight scene, which in my opinion is what people really want to see anyway... Just make something cool guys. Have fun with this...

EDIT: A new thread IS forthcoming...

Sage H.

16. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Ok... We're trying to work out the kinks before we post a new thread. The problem we have at the moment is whether to allow fight scenes that have alredy been completed to enter or not... I've already recieved some complaints from people about this, so lets put it to a vote now so we can start rolling on this... What do you guys think?

Sage H.

17. Covax

Apr 30, 2003
    The problem we have at the moment is whether to allow fight scenes that have alredy been completed to enter or not...

I don't know, that'd be kind of hard to control. I mean, for example Planet with No Name hasn't been released yet, so hypotheticaly if I never mentioned it, and we submitted a scene it would be impossible to tell (except for the lack of snow..) that it wasn't made for the competion.

I guess a good cop-out would be to have 2 or 3 fields: existing movies, movies that haven't been released yet and those being created for the competition. The only trick for the latter one is deciding the start date, would is be from back in April when this thread started or Now when the new thread starts?

18. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Different categories could be an option...

Sage H.

19. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    ....erm, no? That'd be a pain. I say all entries are equal, but they go into the competition with a note saying what it was. And we have a 1st place for each.

20. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Thereby creating different categories...

That wasn't a solution Fig...

Sage H.

21. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    lol, sage has beaten captain correct to death with an orange.

I do see the point though, it does seem unfair to pit those who have previously completed their project as they could have taken all kinds of time to make it, whereas people just coming in will be on a more rushed schedule... I would support the idea of having categories provided we had enough entries to do so.

22. Nytro_z

Nytro_z Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2003
    I think it'd only be fair to let past entrys enter. So long as they hadn't been in the first competition. People have been expecting the second one for a while now, i'm sure those people getting ready for this back then would like to submit now. It'd be terrible to do all that work for the competition and then not be able to enter because it was made a few months back.

23. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Personally I don't see how it can be a real contest if you let anything enter.

If you're going to allow already completed fight scenes just because you want more entries, in theory you could find yourself having to judge between Duality, ALD, Brains and Steel, and an entry done by someone who had to organize his time over three months to try and complete the entry before the deadline.

However Nytro has a point. There are those few people who were working on something for the second contest, and did not get to play because of that wild deadline that could not remain stuck to one date. I say you allow those past works, and those ones only, into the new competition. The best way to avoid frauds would be to check the names of the past contestants. There could always be a few cheaters, but you make sure not just anyone can claim they were working on something for the last one.

The rest of entries should be produced between specific dates. As soon as we have an agreement on this issue, you post your new thread, and from there people have until the end of February.

That way it's fair to those who were working on something before the last contest attempt was cancelled, and everyone -xcept those few who have a tiny time and preparation advantage- are judged on even criterias, for they all had the same amount of time.
    My dog says hello.

24. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    So it's between checking out who was working on a fight for the contest before it was delayed and letting them enter and creating different categories for the entries... Which one should it be...?

Sage H.

25. Covax

Apr 30, 2003
    I'd just put a cap on the age of the submissions to stuff made this year, say nothing that was released prior to Jan/Feb 2003.

From there you can make 2 sections:
    Exclusive Fights - Suff made for the contest that hasn't been yet released.
    Nominated Fights - Stuff that has been or will be releaded before the deadline and/or award annoucement date.

And for the record, I've talked to Jedi_Spiff and none of the Plant with No Name fights will be submitted, unless there's a fan demand after it's release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.