main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Seek Out a Star Chapters 1 -4 (updated 12-29)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by FinalKnight, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FinalKnight

FinalKnight Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2005
    Title: Seek Out a Star
    Author(s): Danny Chadwick
    Timeframe: 3,000 after Star Wars
    Characters: Jack and Hal Jarel
    Genre: Final Knights
    Keywords:
    Summary: Jack and Hal find an ancient artifact
    Notes: This is Jack and Hal Jarel's next adventure after we met them in The RampThe use of the song lyrics is intentional. It is my Homage to 'The Land Before Time'

Jack looked around him. He was alone. It had been a long time since he was alone. His twin brother Hal
    was almost always within the sound of his voice these past two years. Jack leaned his back on one of the
    hundred of fat towering trees that surrounded him. These trees were as ancient as they were tall. The forest
    was particularly thick where Jack found himself. He wondered if he could even get a clear com signal through
    the wooded area.

?Hal?? Jack said into his com-link as he raised it to his mouth. Jack waited while a few moments past with no
    answer.

?Hal?? Jack repeated, but he was only answered with static.

Damn it, Jack thought. Hal was supposed have returned to the rendezvous point three hours ago.
    Something must be wrong. Hal was never this late. But there was nothing Jack could do about it but wait it
    out. There was very little chance anyone else was out this far in the forest. Still he looked around him again.
    He was still alone. It was just him here in the clearing. Well him and his and Hal?s tent. Jack had become
    uneasy these past few weeks. The last time Jack and Hal had become separated on a mission Hal had
    brought back an Umquanti with him.

Jack figured there was no point in worrying about where Hal was. Jack rummaged around in their tent for
    his data-pad. Once he found it he sat on a downed tree and started reading. Jack found that studying history
    helped pass time. Sometimes being a Jedi Knight could be very boring. This was one of those times. More
    time passed. It became twilight. Now Jack really started to become worried. He tried hailing his brother on
    the com-link again.

?Hal?? Jack said almost franticly into the device.

?I?m right here? A voice yelled from the dark trail leading away from the far side of the clearing.

The voice startled Jack. He immediately jumped off the downed tree, dropped his com-link. With his
    other hand he clenched his lightsaber. Jack nearly broke his belt as he ripped his weapon from its clip. Igniting
    the bright blue blade Jack spun around toward the voice.

Raising his saber in a high guard, Jack looked toward the source of the voice that had frightened him. He saw
    his brother moving toward him. Hal had armed his tiger-orange lightsaber in response. Mirroring Jack?s
    actions Hal had his saber held above his head in a high guard. Hal and Jack now faced each other across the
    clearing.

?What the hell are you doing?? Hal yelled at Jack, obviously very put out by the fact that Jack would take such
    aggressive moves toward him.

?Drop your weapon? Jack yelled back at his brother. Jack was still operating in a state of fear due to Hal?s
    sudden approach.

?Fine? Hal said exasperated. Hal deactivated his weapon and tossed it on the ground in the general direction
    of his twin. ?Stop being stupid!?

Jack looked down at the dirt at Hal?s saber. He finally snapped out of whatever it was that had come over
    him. He switched off his own blade and looked at Hal still standing at the other end of the clearing. Calming
    himself down Jack walked toward Hal, picking his saber up as he approached him. Embarrassed he looked
    at the ground when he returned his brother?s weapon to him.

?Sorry? Jack muttered abashed.

?Are you okay?? Hal asked Jack, his tone had gone from angry to concerned.

?Yeah, I?m fine.? Jack?s eyes didn?t leave the ground. ?You just startled me that?s all?

Hal decided to let this conversation die. He knew well that Jack had been on edge ever since their
    encounter with the

2. jdavidchadwick

jdavidchadwick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    We all love the land before time, but i think it's time to move on to something a little more recent... like the brave little toaster or something.

3. FinalKnight

Dec 2, 2005
    Maybe I'll use 'time flys by in the city of light' in chapter two

thanks for the idea brother

4. FinalKnight

Dec 2, 2005
    Chapter Two

?This thing smells funny.? Hal said as he mounted whatever riding animal it was Jack was paying for.

Jack looked up at his brother atop the Keezup. They were ugly creatures, and Hal was correct they did smell funny. Standing upright, the animals were about a meter higher than Jack?s head. He finished paying the deposit on the retched animals. The owner of the animals; a short humanoid sputtered something Jack couldn?t really comprehend.

?Yeah, Three days. We?ll be back by then.? Jack replied back hoping that was the correct response.

The merchant rode off into the distance, back toward civilization. Jack mounted his own Keezup. He looked off in the opposite direction, toward their destination. The landscape was arid and desolate. Why did almost all the assignments they were handed down from the council involve venturing into territory void of intelligent life? Jack wondered to himself as he belted himself into his saddle.

?My animal smells like your quarters.? Hal said as Jack brought his Keezup to the ride position.

?What my quarters smell like is my own business.? Jack joked back ?But speaking of my quarters. Where is our ship??

?What do you mean?? Hal tried to avoid the question. The Keezups jostled into motion. Jack and Hal started their trek into the quasi-desert toward the Jayin ruins.

?I mean you showed up on this planet without our ship? Jack bantered back at his twin ?How the hell did you even get here anyway??

?You ask too many questions Jack? Hal said factitiously ?Our ship is probably on Dytex now.?

?Dytex? Jack?s mind rushed to a vision of their home planet where they were raised by Jedi Master Rock Jarel and his wife Tandi. ?Why is it there??

?I had Abdi drop me off and take it back for repairs.? Hal explained to Jack. He had let their little sister try out her piloting skills solo for a change.

That?s fair. Jack thought as he let the subject pass. Jack was a little uneasy with the thought of their thirteen year old sister navigating through hyper space all by her lonesome. But their ship did need to be repaired. The boarding ramp had never worked properly since Jack carved a gaping hole in it.

The ride drew quite, not much to say. Their missions were often like this. Boring. Hal?s mind wandered to when they were assigned this particular mission. The council had dubbed it as a ?Fact Finding Mission?. Hal had come to call it ?We don?t know what to do with you so here is some busy work? mission. Apparently a smuggler found an ancient Jedi relic and sold it to the merchant that Hal had bought it from. Somehow word had reached the Jedi council about it. Jack and Hal just happened to have nothing to do that day.

Their mission was to ?locate the relic? and ?follow events to their natural conclusion?. This to Hal meant, ?Go see what this is all about and let us know if you find anything interesting?. So far actually finding the Jedi Artifact had been the highlight of this mission. Jack seemed to be particularly pleased by it.

A few hours passed, Hal finally broke the silence.

?You must really be bored? Hal joked.

?Yeah? Jack said ?What are you doing??

?The same thing you are.? Hal replied.

?Well, that?s not very exciting?

?Nope? Hal paused ?So, we have five more hours until we reach the Ruins?

?Uh-huh? Jack cocked his head toward Hal ?Do you want to make some cookies??

?No, I want to talk to you about our mission.? Hal had a strange seriousness about his voice now.

?What about it?? Jack leaned over trying to rest his body against the Keezup

?I want to know what you think about it.? Hal strange seriousness just got stranger to Jack.

?Do you really want to know what I think about it?? Jack knew his twin brother too well ?Or, do you want to tell me what you think about it??

?Just tell me what your honest feelings are about it.? Hal insisted.

?My honest feeling about our mission is that two third-year Padawans could accomplish this mission before their nap time.? Jack retorted.

?So w

5. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    As you already know I've read chapter 1 and loved it (how could I not?). I promise I'll read chapter 2 tomorrow! I don't have enough time to read it tonight. :D

6. FinalKnight

Dec 2, 2005
    Its okay this isn't homework ;) But I expect a report about all the typos in this story on my desk my monday JK

7. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005

Okay, let's start with that one. [face_laugh] Anyway, loved the update!

Jack quickly dropped his hand down from pointing at the clouds to the Umquanti. And by his command a massive lighting([face_laugh] speaking of typos, I just noticed this one) bolt manifested itself from the sky; striking the Umquanti, not just killing it, utterly decimating it. There was nothing left of Hal?s would- be assassin.

Whoa. Very cool...I don't think a Jedi has ever done anything like that before!

Jack and Hal ran as fast as they could out the back of the building into the Valley.

Run, guys, run! Escape those fiendish Umquanti!!! :p

I especially liked the little discussion between Jack and Hal. It was very realisitic. =D=

Superb update, Dan! I eagerly await more...

8. FinalKnight

Dec 2, 2005
    Well done. And a whole day before your deadline too. You get an A. Ah what the heck you get an A+!

9. jdavidchadwick

jdavidchadwick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    You guys are weird.

10. FinalKnight

Dec 2, 2005
    Chapter 3
    this chapter contains homages to 'The Brave Little Toaster and Cowboy Bebop 'The Ballad of Fallen angels'

Jack and Hal found cover in the dark looming valley between the ancient Jayin city and Mount Dummar. The adrenaline from their second encounter with the Umquanti slowly wore off. Jack and Hal rested out of breath. Both said nothing. Jack clenched his left shoulder; as he had injured it when fleeing his own ambushing by the Dark Demons.

Jack recalled what seemed like hours ago; when in reality it was only a few minutes. His experience had been much like Hal?s initially. He had put his com link away and deactivated his ear-piece to save its power. He then turned to make his trek up the hill to meet up with Hal. To his surprise he was staring down not one but three Umquanti with red light sabers drawn. His hand was still his robes by his belt from putting the com-link away. If it had not been there Jack surely would have perished.

The Umquanti stood there waiting for Jack to draw his own light sword. Out numbering him, they must have wanted to actually fight Jack and not just slaughter him; which they most certainly could have done. Jack simply smiled as he made a move as if to grab his weapon. The Umquanti entente waited for Jack to make his first move. But Jack only moved his hand inches and plucked out a powerful explosive the size of a small pill.

Jack chuckled as he dropped the device between his feet. Knowing he only had seconds before the device killed him and the Umquanti both, Jack only briefly caught a glimpse of the Umquanti staring down curiously at the device that would bring them destruction. Jack called on the Force and sped the opposite direction. Jack had out run the explosion but not its subsequent shock wave. The inertia from the blast threw Jack against the corner of a crumbling wall. He cursed loudly as he felt his left shoulder come out of its socket.

Picking himself up off the ground, Jack knew he was still in danger. The Umquanti presence had finally made itself known. Although he could not see them Jack finally sensed there was at least ten more of the creatures close by. The chase was on. Surrendering himself to the will of the force, Jack resumed his sprint to the top of the hill Hal had reported being on.

And he was there, Jack could feel it. But he was life was in jeopardy. The Umquanti that had found him hadn?t been as generous to Hal as Jack?s had been. He also sensed the remaining Umquanti giving him chase. He didn?t know how many there were or how close they followed. Jack continued to take the explosives out of his belt and drop them as he ran. He didn?t bother drawing his lightsaber yet. He knew it would do him no good facing down that many opponents.

Jack followed the guidance of the Force to Hal?s location. As he approached it he felt that his brother was dying at the hands of the Umquanti. Dark feelings began to fill his soul. Hate and rage erased the grip on the light he had come to rely upon. The angst and furor he felt only made him run faster toward his brother. Jack drew his lightsaber, to its all too familiar sound its blue fire spurt fort from the hilt.

Jack came to a sudden stop in the doorway. He saw Hal hanging helpless in the air, he was dying. The Dark side increased its hold on Jack?s heart. The fire in his eye?s turned to the back side of the Umquanti standing center before them. Without even thinking Jack threw his sword toward his brother?s destroyer.

?Jack? Hal said, interrupting Jack?s recollection. He saw that Jack was reliving the event and all the emotions that came with it. Jack was obviously still in shock.

?Yeah? he answered coming out of the dark trance that tantalized his mind.

?You?re hurt brother? Hal reported.

?Yeah? Jack repeated still dazed. They removed Jack?s outer robe to his extreme discomfort. Once off it revealed Jack?s left shoulder and arm drenched in blood. Funny; Jack thought he hadn?t even noticed the loss of blood.

Hal popped Jack?s

11. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    Hal popped Jack?s shoulder back into place and patched up the wound as best he could with the only med-pack they hadn?t left on the baggage saddle of the Keezups.

UGH! [face_sick] Easier said then done...

The Umquanti weren?t easily startled, and they would soon be back, and in greater numbers.

[face_thinking] hm...that phrase sounds vaigly(sp?) familiar...

The brothers walked in the rain. The rain turned to a down pour. Jack pondered his encounter with the dark side. It made him feel powerful, like some kind of drug. He felt he could do anything under its influence. He was now conflicted was it the strength the Dark Side gave him. Was it this power that enabled him to save his brother? Questions now flooded Jack?s mind.

[face_worried] Uh-oh...this does not look good...DON'T EVEN GO THERE, JACK!!!:mad:

?Time flies by in the city of light
    Time stands still in the country
    There's no time for a fuss and a fight
    As we travel the land
    And I'd be satisfied just to be not denied
    To reside with some pride
    While I ride
    To the city of light!?

[face_laugh] I used to love 'The Brave Little Toaster'! *continues to hum the city of light song to herself*

I loved the update, Danny! Fantastic job!!! =D= =D==D=

:D

12. FinalKnight

Dec 2, 2005
    Chapter 4

Jack and Hal were lying side by side on a grassy hill. Both were a bit confused. It felt as though they had just woken up from a dream. They sat up; still dressed as they were when they stepped through the portal. They both looked about at the pristine landscape. The plains stretched out as far as they could see. They both understood that they had been transported somehow from the mountain top to where they found themselves now.

Hal stood up first. He glanced at Jack who was inspecting his face with his hands. Jack still didn?t fully understand what had just happened to him. And in all likelihood he would never understand it. Hal reached for his com-link to attempt to make contact with anyone who was within its range.

?It won?t work.? Jack stated as he rose.

?What makes you say that?? Hal inquired

?Were? Jack paused as he tried to find the words he wanted ?someplace else?

?Well I figured that much? Hal said sarcastically.

?No, I mean somewhere else? Jack repeated ?The Force is different here; Like we have passed into a different realm completely.?

Hal closed his eyes and attempted to center himself. What Jack said was true. The Force he felt was not the same as he had felt his whole life. Hal had traveled across the galaxy and never felt any sensation like this.

Hal?s meditation was cut short by a sensation of beings approaching Hal and Jack?s location. The Force clearly spoke to Hal that these beings meant no harm to he and his brother. Hal opened his eyes.

?Jayins? Hal muttered

A group of three Jayins climbed the hill. Very little was known of the Jayins in Jack and Hal?s galaxy. They had always been a race of extreme debate and conjecture. Archaeologists would find a settlement here and there on planets across the galaxy. But they were always abandoned and left in ruin. They left very little clue to their origin, their culture, or why they suddenly disappeared from the galaxy. No other race had ever recorded having any direct contact with them. Only what they left behind.

Jack and Hal were the first humans that they knew of to actually see a live Jayin. They looked similar to the drawings anthropologists had created using the remains they found at their abandoned cities. Humanoid, their skin was an olive hue, they were naturally muscular. Where humans had five digits, Jayins had only three, a thumb and two rather fatty fingers. Their eyes were larger and more pronounced than humans. Their hair had the consistency of the silk and the color of wheat; quite pleasant creatures to look at in Jack?s opinion.

Jack stepped forward to greet their welcoming committee as it were. The Jayins were clad in almost the bare minimum to keep their modesty. Animal skin aprons covered their genitals and backsides. They also wore leather sandals and headbands. Their torsos were completely exposed. They held long wooden staffs which to Hal looked to serve both as walking aid and close range weapon.

?Who are you? And why do you trespass on the Prince?s land?? The first Jayin spoke. Jack and Hal were both shocked to see that they spoke the common language of their galaxy.

?My name is Jack Jarel, this is my brother Hal.? Jack started ?We have come here fleeing our enemies. We mean no harm to your Prince of his lands.?

Hal rolled his eyes. He always thought Jack sounded silly when he spoke in an official manner. He could see that the Jayin took Jack?s words with suspicion.

?I am Goman? The lead Jayin identified himself ?Chief custodian of the lands of Prince Tormar. You will be taken into our custody and brought before Prince Tormar. If your intentions are as you say, the prince will do with you as he wishes.?

That was rather short, Jack thought. The brothers offered no resistance. They followed the three burley Jayins back through the vast fields to the Jayin city. As they entered they both noted that it looked very similar to the ruin they had just come from, only this city was bustling and alive.

Technology was not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.