main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Sequels you embarrassingly enjoy more than the original.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Dec 4, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Marcus was presented in the scene in Indy's home in Raiders of the Lost Ark as a "grown-up, retired Indiana Jones." He's not at all put out by Indy having a gun or throwing it casually into his luggage. He says if he were a few years younger, he'd be going with him.

Nothing of what we see in Last Crusade matches THAT Brody except telling Indy to buy two tickets.

I actually don't find Sallah's character to be as badly treated in Last Crusade, even with some small differentials but there was a stylistic change there...

Ender Sai and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I guess I should be embarrassed about liking to watch the ewoks in RotJ more than watching Luke destroy the first Death Star. But I am not.

Also I enjoy Crystal Skull more than Last Crusade.

Firmus Jagdon likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That is actually a point against Last Crusade that is valid, I think. When Marcus says he'd be going with Indy if he was younger, you believe it. Then in Last Crusade, he's actually looking for someone who can speak English. That's absurd.

But Elliott is such a pro that I don't mind. He's damn funny in Last Crusade.

And I stand by my opinion that the hat blowing up out of the canyon and landing next to Indy after Vogel's gone over in the tank is maybe the definitive Indiana Jones moment. That little flourish Williams puts in and the way Ford looks at the hat. God, so perfect. That's a moment that truly captures the myth and magic of Indy.

solojones and Firmus Jagdon like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I like Conan the Destroyer better than Conan the Barbarian said no one ever/lobotomized chimpanzees.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, you can always rely on either Riker or Worf for some awesome badassery, but yeah, Insurrection was not a particularly good Star Trek movie, I'd rate lower even that Star Trek V, which is saying something, because Star Trek V at least gave Kirk, Spock and McCoy a couple of nice character moments. Insurrection didn't even have that.

Firmus Jagdon likes this.
  6. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    The only true terrible Star Trek movie is Insurrection. THE worst so far.. Part 5 at least has some outstanding character moments between Kirk, Bones and Spock. "I lost a brother once. I was lucky to get him back."

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, Brody in LC doesn't quite go with what was hinted at in Raiders, but I just don't care.

That whole story Indy spun, "with any luck he's got the grail already", is just hilarious.

I, too, favor The Last Crusade over Raiders and I'm not embarrassed about it.

Insurrection is really bad, but I'll take it over The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This thread gives me nausea. [face_plain]

EmpireForever and tom like this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, double dumbass on you then. :p

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Nemisis is worse if only for the fact
    They killed off Data.
    And definitely agreed on The Final Frontier. I like those little character moments at the campfire and near the end of the film in the observation lounge between the Big Three.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

OK but in Raiders, Brody himself says that he would've gone after the ark himself had he been 5 years younger. He's very much a competent peer of Indy. In LC, he and Sallah are boobs. Bumbling boobs.

12. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Juliet316, Nemesis is actually my second favorite TNG film. I know, I know - TBH I don't like Data's death either, the chase sequence on Kolarus III is stupid, and there are some huge plot holes, but I still enjoy it more than Generations or Insurrection.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Jeff Buckley

Rogue1-and-a-half and Ender Sai like this.
  14. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I prefer Last Crusade to Raiders too, and I'm not particularly embarrassed about it. But I have a perfectly rational explanation. It was the first Indy movie I saw. If I saw Raiders first, that would probably be my favorite.

Amazing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I can't remember if I saw Raiders or The Last Crusade first, but nonetheless Crusade will always remain my favorite Indy film.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes, they did, but Nemesis was balanced out, at least to an extent by having an interesting concept, some character development for Riker and Troi (their wedding), some character growth for Worf (an actual complement for the Romulans) a well executed starship battle, a well written villain in Shinzon and solid performance from Tom Hardy. That doesn't put Nemesis on the same plane as TWOK or FC, but it is at least watchable.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree with much of what has been said, though I didn't know that so many people vehemently despised The Crystal Skull until I saw the Movie forums.

Riker really does shine in Insurrection, specifically "We're through running from these bastards!"

TX-20 likes this.
  18. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    I'm NOT embarrassed to say I enjoyed Police Academy 5 more than the first 3.

dp4m likes this.
  19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I liked PlayStation 2 better than the original.

DarthMak likes this.
  20. Krusty the Clone

Krusty the Clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2013
    Hot shots part deux

squir1y, MrZAP, Darth Raiden and 3 others like this.
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I'm actually not embarrassed by it at all, either, I just brought it up because I know I'm supposed to be embarrassed and thought it would be good conversation. :p

But yeah, a large part of my argument for it has been that I too saw Last Crusade first (and many, many times from the ages of 3-5) before I saw Raiders then TOD. So to me Denholm Elliot's very funny fish out of water worked, and his comments in Raiders about wishing he could go after the Ark with Indy just wound up seeming like he did not really know what he'd be getting into. Yeah, it doesn't quite jive, I see that. But I just don't care because I love Marcus in LC.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I wish Insurrection had character moments between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy too.

Sarge likes this.
  23. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    New Coke

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, see, that's just genuinely funny.

The thing that I maybe love the most about Indiana Jones is that he is himself a bumbler. He's constantly getting his butt handed to him; he's making this up as he goes along; he's an archaeologist that's afraid of snakes; he's constantly in over his head and, for my money, surviving on pure luck. He's a flawed, often incompetent action hero; he feels real. He's not particularly skilled - he just has no fear and happens to be the luckiest person who ever lived. Boob would be a little strong as he's certainly intelligent, but he's far from a typical action hero, which is why I love him. He feels like a real person dropped into chaos.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

His very first scene is him with local natives he's hired, fending off one of them, tracking others in the area by evaluating poison darts, not being afraid of spiders, dealing with traps (just getting the last one wrong), escaping, running away from an entire tribe that wants him dead and getting away. He's not a bumbler he just goes up against Belloq who is equally skilled and notes Jones just picked the wrong friends...

He may make things up as he goes along and improvise but that's not bumbling...