main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SFF Writers' Guild Writing Contest Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by droideka27, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I admit I havn't read all of those, I did skim it though, but if the main arguement is over the title and how its not from the guild then what about just changing the title of this thread to:

SFF Writing Contest Discussion (Guild Extension)?

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Your suggestion is noted. Once anyone interested has made a suggestion, it'll be given due consideration.

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    That would be good. More ideal would be "Guild Sponsored".

4. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    How about 'The Super Fantastic Writing Competition, Conceived, Created and Owned by Coruscant and his Friends!'?

5. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    It is interesting that the word Guild is being bandied around so much. What makes one a member of the guild?

6. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Is Ignant contributing to the thread at all? My, my, he's all for the thread but he degrades it.

EDIT: Posting in it and saying you're a writer. It's not like there's some kind of expected process involved. I'd have thought that would be obvious.

7. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I changed the title because i had a PM request to do so, and i think either way would ahev been fine. but sicne the guild got this started, i am more than happy to put their name in there.

8. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    First of all the "members" of the Guild are really just people who make reguler posts and the like. And thanks for the name-change Tracy. :)

-The Scummy-

9. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "Is Ignant contributing to the thread at all? "

Pointing out how silly you're being? I should say!

"My, my, he's all for the thread but he degrades it. "

No, not the thread. You.

10. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    That's good news, but it's not obvious from any of the posts. And will become less obvious with time I would think.

11. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    Well I feel we need to start to draft a set rules. We have been talking for some time now. We are makeing ground, there are still topics in dedate. Well I first want to set this out to start.

The contest is run by an elected Host. In order to elect a host there will be a 24 hour nomination period. A nomination needs to seconed and thirded. Then after that is a kind of campaneing time of 24 hours. Then after that is voteing day. On voting day the votes will be PMed to a avid user. The elected Host will have a three month reign. At the end of this reign the election process will begin again.

Host: He/She is responsible for comeing up with story ideas. And the guide lines of the story. They will also be an open ear and help anyone with a problem. In addition they will keep the story writing contest in order, making sure it runs smoothly. They are also head judge. Host can not submit stories.

Co-Host: Dose what the host dose in the Hst absence. Also another recomened source of imediate help or claifacation. A Co-Host is selected by the Host at the start of the reign. Co-Host can sumbmit Stories.

Judges: They will meet in a privet fourm. And read over the submited stories. They will judge acording to guidelines set. They will select a winner.

Well that is all I really see as super solid amung us. We can start the election process when ever. I will not run to see as to I am votintering to be the one who runs the election process. I kinda got the idea form the SWC Galatic senate game. It works farily good there. If you would like I could write out a complete election procese rules.

12. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Scummy could request the first post be modified in order to assure that there is no "process" or "requirement" to be a regular in the Guild.

I'm going to go compile the list now.

13. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    I nom Dorkman I suppose, if we do vote though (which I don't recall talking about but I may have missed it) we should just PM the Writers Guild event sock (whose password I will turn over to whoever needs it) Uh here, but we are getting ahead of ourselves?

-The Scummy-

14. Jairen

Sep 1, 2000
    That would work Coruscant.

Malcolm, I can't see in your post whether the Host get's voting rights like the judges or not. I can't remember what was decided regarding that little bit. I know there was some discussion of weighted voting for the Host, but can't see anywhere that is was resolved.

With regards to scoring, I think a simple "out of 10" score works best, with comments regarding specific components of the entry, i.e. prose, grammar, plot. Not too many, perhaps 5 at most. That way the scoring is kept simple and those that submitted their stories will get some basic feedback relating specifically to their piece.

Of course, I know all that is still under discussion though :)

15. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    I think we decided the Host can vote but the co-host can't. (and can therefore make entrees) also the Host doesn't get weighted votes.

-The Scummy-

16. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I first heard of this idea from Drokman scott, for whatever reason, so I think it's be good to include him.

17. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    It was him who initially brought up doing a contest. So he definately deserves to be host.

-The Scummy-

18. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    No arguements here. Can someone repost the list of names we had from the previous thread?

19. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I wouldn't have a problem with DorkmanScott being host, but somebody should probably PM him. I say this because I haven't seen him post in the thread for a few days, so ya know, somebody might want to ask him before we name him our host! Oh ha ha.

If it turns out that he declines for whatever reason, I think the host should be a moderator from this forum.
    I think droideka would probably be a good choice.

20. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I also nominate Dorman Scott.

21. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    Well here are the election process rules.

The Election process in run by a trust worthy induvidual.
    (This time since I am the only one 100% clear on the rules I will run the election process. If you have any questions plese PM me do not post it. I have to go to school tomorrow. I'll check at lunch(if I can get a computre). Now why PM them so I see every question. I'll post the question and answer together so every one can see them at the same time.)
    Day-1. Nomination Day: Nomination Day is a day for nominateing. To nominate some one you simply post I nominte _______. The nominatons have to be second and thirded. (to keep an ease please do nomatnations like this: Scummy-N00bi, me Jim- Your, mine, ours

And so on. Ill do it for you ;) )
    Nomination day is 24 hours long. Every succesful nomine has 24 hours to acnolage there nomination or they are removed from the nominated list and can not be voted for. (Please only nominate someone you trust.)

Day-2 Campaingeing Day(sp?): On this day, you will post question for the canidates. That they wil or will not answer.

Day-3 Voteing Day: You should have made a choice. You will have 24 hours to PM me the vote. Or you could if you can not send your vote to me on election day I will take votes on Day-2. I will post results as soon as possible after the election day. Likely around 1 of 4 pm.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

I can start this anytime you want. I have 45 minutes tonight then you will have to wait for me tomorrow.

22. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Um, shouldn't all the general rules be pinned down before moving onto selecting hosts and whatnot?

Also, I suggest (unless it's already been suggested) that the stories are anonymous, so bias can be eliminated.

23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    When was that decided, malcolm? :confused:

24. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Malcom, I mean no offense, but we should wait a day or so before we start nominating and before we decide who runs the election, if indeed such a position is even needed.

25. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    well only two people know these rules inside and out and the other would be you I belive. I think Im pretty trust worthy or do you think diffrently Bacon?

And I think we need a conrtol figure sooner than later. Kepp the place in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.