main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I finally caught up with series 3. It actually took me a while, because I wasn't totally hooked after Sign of Three, sure it was a great character episode, but the plot wasn't too exciting. I also felt that Sherlock was way too emotional in the first two episodes. When I finally watched HLV I was floored though. I loved the plot and the twists, up until the ending. I really hope Moriarty isn't alive for real, I never liked the character and felt that he was just too powerful and too smart to be really interesting. Since most of my friends are Moriarty/any male character-shippers I thought I was the only one who felt like that, but I'm happy to see that people in here also hope he's not back for real.

One thing is clear though, this season has made Mycroft one of my absolute favorites in the show, too bad that we didn't see enough of Lestrade though.

Rew likes this.
  2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Or Molly

3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I don't understand how being too art makes a character uninteresting...

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Wasn't the room they used in Scandal as Buckingham Palace?

As a prize I think it only fair and appropriate that you send over a naked Lara Pulver.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes, and once I've finished with her :p

[​IMG]

Woohoo!

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Oh my. That was fast.

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    The extras are brilliant. Watched one about the cast and creators talking about the premise of the show and the fans. Fantastic. And the second about the effects, mainly talking about the shooting scene in Episode 3. Really really good. Next one is called "The Fall".

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    There is a fabulous Sherlock segment in QI (uncut version, at least) this week (season 11, Ep 17). Referencing Doyle's books, not the BBC series.

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Is this the ejaculate thing? That's episode 1 of series 10 (Jargon). S11E07 is a compilation show of the K series

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yes. And oh, rightho.

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  13. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    I've only starting watching Sherlock in the last few weeks; caught the last episode last night. I'm rather glad I didn't have to wait a year for the season 1 and 2 cliffhangers to be resolved, but golly that was an interesting ending to this season. (Series?) When does the next one start? Please don't say 2015...

I'm among the crowd that I hope Moriarty isn't back for good. I don't want the show to become as crazy and convoluted as Doctor Who has become at times. I think the wedding episode (Sign of Three, I think) is my favorite episode so far, and initially while watching the finale I was annoyed because it seemed to ruin that episode for me. But I think they resolved it for me - Mary is not evil, just has a bad past and wanted it left there. (Although I'd been hoping for an evil twin after she shot him).

My initially thought was as the plane was taking off that it would explode, heh. Then when the Moriarty clip came on my first thought was that it was Sherlock's doing. But I don't like that idea, either. Or Mary and John being behind it. Maybe Mycroft, but if it is just a ruse then eventually that'll be found out and what would happen to Sherlock then? I do think Adler would be a good choice for being behind it, but again how would they be able to have Sherlock stay in London after? (Does the public know that he shot someone?)

Maybe Molly was behind everything. Her real name is ... Molliarty. Or Mrs. Hudson. She seems so innocent, doesn't she? She's secretly a ninja and threw the one bad guy out the window once more when Sherlock wasn't looking.

I think they throw the word 'sociopath' around a bit too much, though. Sherlock has his faults but he does seem to have a conscience (as do John and Mary).

14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Seeing as this aired 2014, series two was 2012, and one was 2010, quite possibly 2016.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    There were rumors that they might actually shoot earlier than usual and that they didn't want as much of a break between series. I think the huge hiatus was really bad because it just gave people far too long to get a concrete idea of what they thought happened.

16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I think the long delay was also due to Freeman's and Cumberbatch's commitments to the Hobbit and Star Trek, wasn't it?

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Certainly the Hobbit had a lot to do with it. I think also a program Moffat was showrunning celebrating it's 50th anniversary called Doctor Who also took a chunk of time out of the schedule leading to the delay.

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, that, too.

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  20. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    A rather good article (IMO) on the problematic way that Sherlcok solves the Magnusson problem.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I just to point out that in the bonfire, much of the debris was camphor wood.

halibut likes this.
  22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000

Though conveniently forgetting that Watson shot the cabbie in the first episode. Both the cabbie and Magnusson posed real threats.

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  24. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003

I personally didn't have a problem with the ending. I thought they set it up pretty clearly how dangerous Magnusson was. (Doesn't Mary say something like, "People like me exist to take out people like him.") And I think for Sherlock it was no longer about winning the game or outsmarting someone smart. It had become personal, and a very real threat (and I think he took his vow to his friends seriously). I think he knew he was going to have to kill him the moment he knew the vault was empty but he was wavering. (I figured Magnusson was gonna die, but not sure who was going to kill him).

The Great No One likes this.
  25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I have no issue with it at all. What I have issue with is the fact that Mycroft comes out with this "Oh he's done it now" nonsense and the awful "Oh he has to be exiled" crap, when it's quite clear that Mycroft has the power to cover anything up. That whole set-up was just non-sensical in the Sherlock world. Mycroft should and would be glad that the threat was nullified and finished, with nothing to trace it back.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.