main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Should English grammar be discussed at the next meeting?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pikaroth, Mar 21, 2004.

?

Should English grammar be discussed at the next meeting?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. wut? i no hoW too tipe juz fyne. i'm im colge and git str8 As. ttyl l8r!

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
  2. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    discusZ enlish gram,matr at teh next meEting??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I wi7l ahck!!!!!!!!!111~~~~ wh8ver for?!?!??!?!? silly goose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~~~ lololol.... A FEW TyPOSN EVEER HURT ANYONE!!!!!!11~~~~~ we're all smart and acpable dultz hare quit bieng a nitpiX0r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~ WHY CAJ"T W3 ALL JUsT GET ALONG!?!?!? lolololololo AH HA AH HA HA!!!!!!1~~~~~

L8r

3. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    While I was on my way home today, I realized that, and this is no joke, the Chick-Fil-A cows write better than most of the people in these Star Wars forums. Perhaps they should be the guest speakers?

Brandon

4. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Question is, how many people on the boards speak English as their native language?

5. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    good p0int!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~~~ Not everyone woh posrts in ethse forumz r natibe english speakrz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~~ LOLOLOLLOLOO~~ some of tehm are waCky froiegNars!!!!!!!!1~~ ah ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~~ thaTs sO funny!!!!!!111~~ olololoo we should toler8 ouR broth3Rs and sistewrs for/\/\other lands and teach rthem by 3xample~~~~ peace.

L8r

6. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    I hope none of you are refering to my typing skills. I have always had a hard time with keeping my grammar and spelling correct when I do something fast. Im one of those people whose math score was over 200 points better than there english score on the SAT's. So that is all I have to say.

7. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, if your first language is not english then we can usually tell and we let that slip.

Now for someone in COLLEGE, c'mon IA!!! At least correct it before actually submitting it! ;)

8. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    For those people that do speak English as their native language, then there is no excuse to not have at *least* decent grammar skills. No one here is saying every post must be perfect; not even my posts are perfect half the time. However, there should be a certain level of what is accepted. I say this because when a post is so amazingly bad, not only does it make the individual look stupid, but even if he or she has something decent to say, it will make others ignore him or her. The person will not be taken seriously.

On the other hand, for those that do not speak English as their first language, this would be a good chance to instruct them on some skills. From my past teaching experience, it seems that people with English as their second language (ESOL courses), they actually want to learn more than those that are set in their ways, those that believe they know what is right and are in no need of correction.

Again, no one here is claiming posts should be perfect or free from slang. I would ask, though, that everyone look over some posts on here, go as far back as you need, some of them are just embarrassing.

As for pointing at anyone specific, that was not my intention, and I was not doing that. Sometimes, it is true, some people here point out certain posts that are just dreadful, and that is fine. There comes a time, I have learned, where even those I thought did not care even a little end up getting to the point of frustration in how poor some of the skills shown here are.

Every last one of us has standards in regards to everything in life, be it clothing, food, looks, personality, what car we'll drive, what films we like, the music we listen to, etc., and when those are brought up, it is fine. However, when grammar is brought up, people instantly take offense to it and think their skills are just peachy.

And, Stefanie, and anyone else for that matter, how in the hell do you include actual smiley faces in your posts?

Brandon

9. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
  10. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Neat-o.

Brandon

11. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    WELL I GUESS THIS IS MY LAST POSTING THEN. most of my grammar issues are due to dislexia which runs in my family and if you ever feel like thee need to kiss my a$$ I am willing to take the chance up. There is a possible chance that most of my issues are also due to that part of my brain being effected by illness as a child to which I almost died and the multiple hospitalizations and drugs I was on. It was after being extremely sick that my english scores plumited in school and my math skills soared. I can not explain it but I can right papers as long as I take the time to look them over. Buut when I work at the spur of the moment It is a problem area my brain could not grasp. I would rather like to work daily as a normal person and not have to think for an hour before I say or type someone. Ive lived my entire life teased about these issues and if that is going to be the case here I will go somewhere will civilized people post.

12. siul-fer-nando

siul-fer-nando Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2002
    what is this common fellows this is not the way of the force, theres a disturbence a can feel the darkside in this matter.

im naborian a can speak english but sometimes is to hard to me. never understimate the darkside.

13. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't think anyone here meant to offend you, Ia. Please don't go!!!

L8r

14. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Ass kissing, and ass grabbing???? Im all up for that, where do I join?

15. tristan458

Aug 15, 2003
    Ia dont go, I mean come on, theres only like 4 maybe 5 people I like on this board anyways, you being one of them. Dont let them get to you, whoever it might be, dont give in to the darkside. You know the whole hate, anger, fear thing. Just take it in stride and let it go in one ear and out the other. You have a very important job here, and if you leave then we gotta find another person for whatever it is you do. If you do go, then you still better talk to me, or else Ill be very, very upset.

Dale

16. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    Yes I know....this post caught me at a bad time .... i mean I can't help it...I just dont liek it when people start "pole" dancing :p

also I will admit I got into college with my math scores and not my english scores. Although, part of the honors program, I got through my english classes with my story telling ability in my writings and not by my grammar and spelling.

If peopel are going to be high and mighty about their excellent skills where others are lacking then they need to re-examine their purpose in life. I dont mind the occasional teasign over my grammar. Felling like I dont deserve to live or that im an outcast for not having tallents in that area does offend me.

If we all were talented in the same areas then we would never find anythign that was intresting . Instead we would ll look at things and say "I could have done that."

it is for that reason that I refuse to write my fan script in offical script formats. As long as myself, the director understands the format, that is all that matters.

I would never start a post of "should we teach common sense and the laws of physics at the next meeting" If you feel you need to improve in those areas then go to it. If you would rather not...focus on what is important to yourself.

We all come to the baords to find other star wars fans that we have something in common with. This somethign is the enjoyment of everything star wars, If we cant get past all of us being different then we are back to square one.

If we cant get past insulting everyone, we will never make friends.

With all that said.....as your CR I order everyone to get along and accept everyone for who they are and for once get to know someone you have little in common with, or even someone you dont understand. Even better... go canoeing with them :)

:)

Ia

17. tristan458

Aug 15, 2003
    Very well spoken, I mean look at me Im not very smart (I know enough to get by), but Im really good at sex. Was a C average in highschool, and had a 2.9 in College, but I dare some one to call me a dumb ass jock (was a jock by the way, if you couldnt tell). Everyone has their ups and downs, pros and cons. Think I want to be a pimp my whole life? Well ok yes I would, but it gets harder and harder. Pimping isnt easy, but its damn sure fun.

18. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    Ia, you know how I feel. PLEASE stay! This group wouldn't be the same with out you! Obviously this upset you and I'm sure they never really meant to do that. I know these guys would never purposely hurt your feelings or insult you. Everything has been in a joking or sarcastic tone but it can go too far via this medium.
    Melanie

19. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Yikes, man, Dale, that's great. "I'm not the Brain, but I'm no Pinky either. Either way, I mack like Pepe Le Pew."

Ia, well said. And note that I wrote the Star Wars Weekends response prior to reading this thread. I have to admit, spelling and grammar, at least as good as speaking, is something I notice too. I'm interested in being correct enough so that I picked up a book a minute ago to check the spelling of "Le Pew." Regardless, the only time this sort of thing has even bothered me was when I baited in a long-forgotten thread. Your posts, (and I swear it did not occur to me that Brandon might be picking on one person, and I still don't think he was) have not stood out to me as being particularly off. I want you to stick around, and keep posting. You bring a very distinctive face to the group, and I'm in a grand majority when I say we want you to stick around. -Campbell

20. tristan458

Aug 15, 2003
    Just trying to make people laugh a little in these trying times.

Dale

21. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    preach it pimp daddy :) Excersize your talents...that what I tell people...I guess that what I should tell you too, Dale. Cambell, the only reason I took it serious is because I felt as if I posted "are you refering to me" with a "?" and no one out right said no...they just continued...or so I felt. Im sorry I freaked out but Ive been stressed about finding a job after college and so forth....

Ia

22. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Wow. I think Dale's posts are the most phenominal I've ever read. :)

And Ia, I don't know quite how you feel, but I do know what it's like to either be typing or reading really fast and missing something or misplacing a letter or word here or there. It's frustrating to be sure.

23. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    thank you... although its propbably an issue before I hit the keys. When I do thins at normal speed they come out right.... when I do things fast stuff out of my moutn is nonsense...I just said to a friend "when you talk about me with that" when I meant "when you talk about that with me" It took me about ten times to say it right,....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.