main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Slash isn't allowed on the JC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by citizen-tom, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Anything allowed between a male and a female should be allowed between two males or two females.

2. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Here's my whole take on the issue.

I find it a little offensive that slash, at least G rated slash, isn't allowed here. By not allowing it it's almost as though TFN has taken a stance on a very touchy subject: that of homosexuality. TFN should have no right to ban a kind of fan fiction simply because it deals with homosexuality.

I admit that I may be generalizing in TFN's reasons of disallowing slash, but I think it all boils down to the perception of this disallowing. As Liz said earlier, there are many forms of slash, some G rated other NC-17 rated. I can understand why TFN would definitively take a stance on the NC-17 side of slash, but G? I hate to tell you, but some slash is actually very good reading.

But what does it boil down to? It's simple. By disallowing slash TFN is perceived as saying "homosexuality is wrong, therefore we won't allow fan fiction involving it". Fan fiction is fan fiction, is it not? Whether it involves homosexuality or not, its still a fictitious work by, perhaps, a very talented person. To deny that person the very right of posting a story or giving a link to a story is basically putting a foot in waters that you don't want to be in.

Like I said, I find it mildly absurd that TFN wouldn't allow G rated slash. It's fine to say that the board is "family friendly", but if we're prohibiting the discussion of homosexuality, be it in fan fiction or in good, ordered discussion, is basically saying that the JC is homophobic. Think about it...we're always saying this is a "family" forum...well, if that's the case, then our "family" will be generalized as homophobes if we disallow even G rated slash. I even recall one poll in the census about sexual orientation. If that was allowed, then why wouldn't G-rated slash be allowed, other than the fact that it is a little more in depth?

3. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Well, it's one of those issue that whichever way you go, you're taking a stand on the issue. There's not really a "neutral" on this particular topic.

4. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    So long as its kept low level (as heterosexual fanfics are), I dont see how anyone can deny the same rights to homosexual based fanfics.

And I really think the guidelines DA outlined earlier are about right. Its what works with heterosexual fics, so it'll only be fair to have it with homosexual fics

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    JG: I don't read fanfic. Is that neutral enough for ya? ;)

I would like to see slash allowed, as long as it's at the same levels as hetero stuff. The bottom line is, there's no reason why slash at a G or PG level shouldn't be allowed unless the owners of the site have a problem with allowing homosexual content on their site (heaven forbid).

6. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    JG: I don't read fanfic. Is that neutral enough for ya?

I mean on the subject of homosexuality, not fanfic. ;)

Like I said, this isn't really a mod call. It's a site-wide policy. I'm checking on the G-PG stuff to see if it falls under the same umbrella ruling. I don't have a particular opinion--neither decision would deeply offend me. (I'm individually neutral on the subject, but that doesn't translate into a policy; it's either yay or nay on the subject, and either call will bother someone.) The answer I got to the first part of the question is that slash per se is against the rules. I've asked the second (G/PG homosexual romance). I'll let you know when I hear.

7. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I think that seeing as how the JCC frequently contains 'homosexual innuendo', we need to either say that G/PG-rated slash is allowable within a certain reason, or that farraday needs to stop flirting with me. I once suggested a relationship between the esteemed Mr. Neck and myself...was that wrong? If people can make jokes about it, why can't they write about it? You don't have to be politically correct on this issue, you just have to be consistent. :)

Oh, and just the following is meant for farraday's eyes only ;) :eek:

these fragile bodies of touch and taste
    this vibrant skin, this hair like lace
    spirits open to the thrust of grace
    never a breath you can afford to waste

when you're lovers in a dangerous time
    sometimes you're made to feel as if you're love's a crime
    but nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight
    got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight

when you're lovers in a dangerous time
    lovers in a dangerous time
    and we're lovers in a dangerous time
    lovers in a dangerous time
    [face_love]

8. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    "But what does it boil down to? It's simple. By disallowing slash TFN is perceived as saying "homosexuality is wrong, therefore we won't allow fan fiction involving it". "

I don't think that is what TF.N and it's owner/s are saying at all.

It's a highly controversial topic and there are a large number of parents out there who do not want their children to be exposed to anything that depicts homosexual lifestyles. There is a reason that 'Will and Grace' is aired at 9pm in the US, because they believe most children will already be in bed and not still watching television. And the show is still the target of protests and boycotts.

And with all of that, all they do is TALK about being gay. They don't makeout and there aren't any bedroom scenes. For the majority of the series, 'Will' has been single and while 'Jack' jokes about being promiscuous, he is rarely, if ever, seen with another man.

Yet it still angers some parents and powerful political groups. So instead of opening themselves up to hate mail, criticism, and boycotts of their own, the TF.N staff/owners has decided to make a call that avoids all that. They have no obligation to break down any walls of prejudice against slash fiction OR help reduce bias against homosexuals. SW doesn't depict any homosexual relationships, but no one is accusing GL of declaring homosexuality wrong by that omission. They have every right to dictate what they will allow on their site and message boards. They aren't stating their opinion about gays and lesbians with this policy, they are avoiding conflict.

9. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    If anyone wants to know what I think, simply read Gay-LenKenobi's post directly above this one.

I simply could not say it better myself.

Josh

10. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    "SW doesn't depict any homosexual relationships"

Oh come on, it was so obvious Obi-Wan and Jango were in love... [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.