main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Small Space Chase CG Test...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ben-Kushaan_Exile, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    I wasn't at all satisfied with the test I did a few days ago, so I created this one. Please note, the ship models are from Scifi3d. Everything else, I did.

Tell me what ya think...

http://65.108.218.55/spacebattle_on2.mov
    http://65.108.218.55/spacebattle_divx.avi

2. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    MOST IMPRESSIVE! :D

Edit: Changed my language.

3. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    VERY NICE!

4. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    much better! i think that the animation of the ships need a little work. Slave 1 should be swinging from side to side like its trying to avoid hitting an astroid. and the jedi starfighter should be spinning over and under them.

5. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Aug 29, 2000
    Yeah I still wasn't pleased with the animation of a lot of it.. but I was more interested in getting this test up before my friend left..

6. spottcat211

spottcat211 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2002
    Very Nice... I agree a little bit more sway... But looks excellent

7. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    they should be going MUCH faster.

8. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Your models, textures, and particle effects all look really good. I have to mirror previous comments about the animation. It is not very natural looking. Star Wars ships tend to fly like airplanes. Try using how a fighter jet flys as a template for your ship animation.

Good luck!

-tm

9. mikearman

mikearman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    You did all that in Blender, right?
    I BOW DOWN BEFORE YOU!

I had Blender for about 2 days before deleting it off my machine out of sheer frustration.

10. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    Did you do that in Blender? I dunno if it supports bump maps but the texture could do some more work, they looks pretty flat now. And the lighting you've given it makes it look too much like a videogame. All the same, great work! :)

Carl

11. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Very Nice!

Yes, I agree with everyone else, the ship paths look very un-natural, adding spinning really won't fix it, you need to make them seem like they are flying more than moving through pea soup as the saying goes.

12. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Aug 29, 2000
    Yes, I did do "most" of the video in Blender... I did the lasers and some touching up in AE. BTW, yes, Blender does support bump-mapping. As I said before, I really didn't like the path movements, I did the animation in a hurry. I also didn't do the textures or ship models. I had to convert them from .3ds files and re-map the textures. Thank you all for the input! I hope to do another version soon....

13. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    try to make them obey the the laws of physics as though they are jet fighters on earth. This will make them seem more realistic.

14. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Just on the lighting end of things, your light source for the scene is the BIG BRIGHT lense flare/sun that we can see the ships passing infront of. But when they are facting the camera with the light source behind them, we can still see a white specular reflection of another light source, specially in the Slave 1 window.

15. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Aug 29, 2000
    Now who said a system has to have one bright star only? HMMMMM!?!?! I thought so.

16. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Hmmmmm... Binary and trinary star systems are more numerous in our galaxy...

-tm

17. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    cool looks alot better...

also i like the fact there was an avi version :p cuz quicktime isnt supported in linux :)

altho they're workin on support :p

18. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    ok, i really liked what you did, but as the others stated, the animation and lighting are a bit off... i did a similar test a couple of months ago, and i thought it might come in handy... first, for the animation, as the others said, they need to move more fluidly... slave 1 should weave more back and forth, watch how the slave one moves in my animation... it's basic, but it might give you a few ideas... second, the lighting seems to almost come straight from the camera, you might consider off centering it a bit, and third, you might want to move your camera a bit, it helps add to the dynamics of the scene... check this out...

.mov, on2 codec, 760kb

starfightertest

this might give you a few ideas to help with your animation...

19. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    buli: i dont really see how you've implemented any of those suggestions in your own test :p

20. buliwif

Mar 28, 2000
    are we lookin at the same vid, pixelito?

21. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    your Jedi starfighter appears to go perfectly straight. the Slave I shifts from side to side, sure it's smooth, but neither ship is really doing anything interesting. your camera "motion" is a simple pan. personally, I like his test better.

22. buliwif

Mar 28, 2000
    yes, the fighter IS moving perfectly straight... i was drawing attention to the slave1... referring to the smooth transition from side to side... and as to liking his better? i didn't say mine WAS better than his... just thought it might give him some ideas...

and even a simple pan can sometimes improve a scene greatly...

the purpose of my original test was for lighting and depth of field in an asteroid field... sure, i could have done ALOT more, in fact, i had planned on adding laser blasts and explosions, but for the purpose of this test, i found it unnecessary..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.