main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So i finally played "KILLZONE"

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Drew_Atreides, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    As the title suggests, i finally got around to picking up "Killzone" for the PS2..A solid shooter. Darker and more gritty then Halo, which i think is why, overall, i'm enjoying it more. Halo obviously has better gameplay and control (the lack of ability to actually JUMP in Killzone is REALLY frustrating, sometimes), but the bad guys in Halo were always too cute for my taste.

The Helghast of "Killzone" are a much more effective set of bad guys.

I find the challenge level is slightly higher, in KZ, too. In Halo, the "hover like a butterfly, sting like a bee" approach usually got you thru most portions of the game alive.. If you try to do that in Killzone, those Helghast will just chew you up.

Solid game that, while i know it was labelled "the Halo" killer (and isn't really THAT), IS worth checking out..

Incidentally, who was your favourite character to play as? So far, i find i use Rico the most, although the one time i tried Luger, i got a kick out of her, too. (Love the knife-melee kills).

The coolest character, though, is definitely Hakha.

2. JediSteve30

JediSteve30 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Hated this game. Good storyline, underwhelming weapons

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Surely the storyline is more important than the weapons? Even in FPS's.

4. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ...hmm, what do you mean by underwhelming?

If it's "the weapons aren't Strong enough", then i say "hey, at least it's not RED FACTION II" (where you had to empty an entire clip into a guy's face and MAYBE he'd go down.. That's the only game where i actually used the grenade launcher as my primary weapon)

If you mean there isn't enough variety:

Oh i dunno.. i like the subtle differences among the weapons..

You've got:

The Standard ISA Assault Rifle: decent gun which can drop a regular Helghast in about 2-3 shots, though the Recoil makes accuracy a bit of an issue when you just hold that trigger down.

The Standard Helghast Assault Rifle: Weaker then the ISA Rifle, and not nearly as accurate at long range, but AMMO is plentiful.

The Shotgun: Tremendously powerful at short range. You can actually take 2-3 Helghast out in one shot! Worthless at Long Range, though.

The Sniper Rifle: One shot kills, though the setup really does make Sniping into a Skill. I like how they pulled this one off.

Luger's Gun: Makes for a pretty decent alternative to the Sniper Rifle. Easy to score headshots at fairly long range.

Rico's Gun: The one that i would agree seems slightly underpowered. It sounds cool, and feels cool, and the Secondary-fire Rockets are nice, but it feels like you have to pump guys full with too much lead before they go down.

Medium Helghast Gun: No Scope, so no zoom option, but it's easily the steadiest, most accurate gun in the game. 8/10 bullets go where you aim them, at long range.

Grenade Launcher: Took some practise, but once you figure out the firing arc, you can do alot of damage.

Rocket Launcher: I admit, i'm still struggling with this one. I always seem to aim long. When i do score a hit, though, it's pretty effective.

ISA and Helghast Pistols: Like how they're as powerful as the standard ISA Rifle, but the number of bullets in a clip preclude you from being able to use it as anything but a last resort.

Those are the guns i've run into, so far. I've liked the variety, and think it's fair that the Helghast seem to be able to take as much damage as you.

I just ran into my first batch of Helghast Elites, yesterday (and, of course, died). I was using the Standard Helghast Rifle on them, and that didn't really seem to be very effective. I figure i'll just have to figure out what the best gun is against them..

5. Ryozo

Ryozo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 3, 2002
    Medium Helghast Gun: No Scope, so no zoom option, but it's easily the steadiest, most accurate gun in the game. 8/10 bullets go where you aim them, at long range.

If we're on the same page, this is the MG42-lookalike with the hundred-round drums. Those traits you mention make it the best canidate for your elite problems among the readily-found guns (of course, sniper rifles and the alt-fire of Luger's SMG are instant death with a headshot).
    As for general tips...

6. use short, controlled bursts;
  7. be aware of, and utilize, cover;
  8. aim for the head wherever possible; and
  9. whenever you have a breather; reload
  11. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ....all great tips, Ryozo (MAN have i learned the "reload" point and the "use cover" point well)

And yes, that definitely sounds like the gun i'm talking about (and was actually the first one i thought of to try to use, the next time i try that portion of the Dock level. I ran into those Helghast elites right before i had to go to work, and haven't had the chance to head back :p )

Another neat thing about this game is how they incorporated the ability to sprint. Now, i've been in and out of FPS games over the past couple years, so i'm sure i probably missed the one that first gave you the ability to sprint.. Killzone is the first game I've played with the feature, and, in hindsight, i wonder why it hasn't become a standard of all War-based First Person shooters.

Being able to run from cover to cover, managing to avoid most bullets BUT sacrificing the ability to actually fire is a nice little ability..Really seems to add a sense of realism..

It is just tooo bad you can't jump, or at the very least, they didn't handle that 'vaulting' ability better..

12. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    I dont know, I thought the game was really awful. Just bad everything. I couldnt tell you about the story though, because I quit at like stage 2.

13. Ryozo

Ryozo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 3, 2002
    No problem; always glad to be of assistance. That said, here're a couple more.

14. unless it is required as part of a mission objective, there is no need to destroy standard-configuration Helghast APCs; killing the exposed gunner will suffice to nuetralize the threat they pose.
  15. learn to 'cook' grenades - that is, let the timer run down a bit before tossing them. Doing so gives the enemy less time to seek cover.
  16. use your ears. For one, Helghast warn their teammates before tossing grenades... and perhaps more significantly, the hollow pop associated with either form of grenade launcher is something to be ever-alert for.
  17. remember at all times that Luger is the physically weakest of the available characters.

18. And am I the only one wondering why Guerilla did not include a cooperative mode wherein you and your friends - each controlling an available character - tackle the various missions as a team...?

19. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    This souds liek a cool game, I think I'll have to try it when I am able to get my hands on a PS2. I wasn't a big fan of Halo2, infact I disliked it greatly, Im glad I spent my money on San Andreas instead. I heard that you couldn't jump at all which is dwmb, but thats allright, maybe they will include that option into Killzone 2. From what I have seen I thought that the graphics looked really good. Ill see if I can borrow my stepbrothers PS2 since he hardly ever uses it. One of the downsides of living with my dad, he hates vidoe games and will only let him play for a tops of a halfhour.

20. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I played the game a little bit and quite enjoyed it. I love FPS's especially when they got a military and sci-fi flavour to it.

21. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002

Ha, i JUST got to the point where Grenades really become an issue..The other lesson i've learned is that, the minute you hear a) the Pop or b) a verbal warning (either from a Helghast or from one of your teammates (seems like it's normally Luger)), you have to start moving and not stop until you've eliminated the grenadier..

And yeah, a co-op multiplayer mode just seems like it makes TOO much sense for this game, Ryozo.. You'd think that this would have been something they would have incorporated, ESPECIALLY when they're trying to compete with HALO (which does have a pretty fun co-op mode)..

I guess we can just hope that this is an issue that'll be addressed when Killzone 2 finally hits..

Incidentally, i'm finally starting to understand why it is that i can't seem to vault over anything, anymore....It's because i'm spending most of the game playing as Rico, and he lacks the vaulting ability..

I'm gonna have to go back thru and play as Hakha, i think..

22. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    Playing through this one right now. Finished Halo 2 a couple of times already.Agree it's not quite the Halo beater (BUT Halo 2 is the king of FPS's) but I agree this is a solid enough shooter. The spongy controls need to get used too and the lack of a jump button is frustrating the hell outta me! I use Templar the most as all the others seem to have unlimited ammo (Rico) so it is better to let the rest of the team go in and churn the Helghast into mince meat, then follow up to pick of the stragglers.

"We need to find a fast boat to commadeer!"

23. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    I'm at the shuttle guys and it won't let me lower the bridge to the craft even though I have completed the other two tasks - raise the platform and initiate the launch sequence.All the Helghast are dead on this level but it just won't let me lower the bridge to the shuttle. Can any of you guys help me out?

"We need support!"

24. Blood-Rifle

Blood-Rifle Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2005
    um... have you gone to the control tower with Templar or Lugar? Because if you go to the control room in the tower, there's a red button on the control panel that you need to press to do so...if I'm correct. And a way to find out that its there is that when your going up the stairs to the room, there's eliet's and solider helghast. I hope that help's...[face_plain]

25. Blood-Rifle

Blood-Rifle Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2005
    Hey, does anyone have a #1 fav. level?

Multi: Beach Head
    Single player: The first level

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.