main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Speculation] Is Jyn Rey's Mom?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by TheReal_Rebel, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Considering how the main her is still a woman, and how the other main heroes are a Black man, a Latino, and an Asian guy (and the one White guy is apparently mo-capping a droid so we won't even see HIM, but rather a machine), and the most prominent White human male appears to be the villain, I can forgive them for casting the Academy Award-nominee in the lead role.

KSennia likes this.
  2. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    You mean...

Jyn = Rey
    Whitaker = Finn
    Diego Luna = Poe
    Mendelsohn = Hux

Yeah, I can see the pattern.

3. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    If you look at it in the most superficial way possible, then sure why not.

4. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    In that case:

Anakin = Luke
    Obi-Wan = Han Solo
    Padmé = Leia
    Sidious = Sidious

5. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I would not have expected Ms. Ridley to say anything other than the denial.

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    You know things can just not be true.

7. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I do think that they're being misleading/cryptic deliberately about SOME things. But not all, and I don't think that this is one of them.

8. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

Yeah, I think that's the biggest point. I wouldn't be 'upset' about it, if I had a Weird Science machine and was designing my ideal woman the first steps would be relatively pale and brunette, but it seems like a strange choice for the SW series to be stuck on that. Even if she was still Caucasian, but blonde, red-headed, etc. If she's written from scratch and from anywhere, she could have looked like any possible combination of human traits (with being attractive as a given since it's still a movie star). ...but they didn't do that, they cast another brown-eyed brunette as the female lead, for the fourth time in a row.

Darth Basin and D'an like this.
  9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Can't rely on anything that Daisy (or anyone for that matter) says.

On the surface, it would seem as though Jyn as Rey's mom is ridiculously contrived.

But flip it for a moment. What if the writers, guided by the desires of Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams, wanted a story written about Rey's mom and how she was involved in the rebellion long ago? What if making the lead of R1 Rey's mom was always the original intention anyway?

D'an likes this.
  10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yeah, but it isn't a point. Maybe, they picked the best actor for the job and didn't just stop at the headshot.
    Huh? What am I flipping? Daisy knows who the parents are, Pablo knows who the parents are. If the writers of R1 had made jyn the mom, they'd know.

11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

No, that's not what I meant. It would seem contrived if they made Jyn her mother later. If they planned Jyn to be Rey's mom from the start, it's not contrived. Instead it was written as a story about her mom.

And since it appears as though the inner circle know who Rey's parents are, nothing's contrived. Daisy has said a few times she knows who Rey's parents are. Seems the reveal may have been planned for TFA but was taken back in the final re-write so as not to have too many reveals.

Therefore, it would make sense that Rey is either Luke or (longshot at this point) Leia's.

How interesting would it be if Rey's dad (Luke) brought down the death star after Rey's mom was the one who stole the plans. Then they meet later and MAYBE Jyn actually has some Force sensitivity and somehow becomes Luke's first student.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I'm still not getting you. No one "in the know" has said it would be contrived, they just said it isn't the case.

13. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I don't like the idea of Jyn being Rey's mom. Doesn't sit well.

But for whatever reason I think it would have been cool if Jyn was Poe's mother. But then I'd have wanted her to be Jyn Dameron and the connection divulged immediately. I'm not really interested in another big parentage reveal, except for Rey. I mean, not everything has to be a secret to make it interesting.

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    We already know Poe's parents.

Rodie likes this.
  15. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Right, but as I said I think it would have been cool of Jyn was his mother. Not really interested in getting a whole movie backstory on Rey's mom who turns out to be this bada$$ who started the whole OT...

16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd be interested in her backstory, if she were a different character and she probably wasn't already dead by the time of TFA anyway.

KSennia likes this.
  17. zero_point_zero

zero_point_zero Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    I just really don't see the necessity of connecting EVERY single new character to the Skywalkers or Solos. This ain't 'Dynasty '. I know it's been said ad nauseum, but the SW universe really needs to expand in scope. Plus Jyn and Rey don't really look all that alike other than being brunette and attractive.

18. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It's been unequivocally stated that Jyn ISN'T Rey's mom, so maybe this thread ought to be locked.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I second the notion that this thread should be locked. We've had two strong denials so far. Daisy Ridley denied it. Pablo Hidalgo denied it. That's good enough for me.

20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

This guy denied something as well - and he had been president [face_thinking]

Darth Basin, D'an and PymParticles like this.
  21. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Really?

"You get nothing. You lose. Good day, Sir."

22. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

What else are they going to say?? The setup has been carefully calculated; they'll deny it either way until the reveal finally happens. I don't think we can dismiss this theory until Rey's lineage has actually been finalized.

23. weezer

May 16, 2001
    They could say nothing. They could punt it. They could answer with a coy non-answer like they do all of the other questions about Rey's parentage.

Lying about something like that never works out well. Go look at some of the interviews with Abrams and Lindelof after the second Star Trek was released. They both said it was a mistake to try and pretend that Kahn wasn't Kahn, they had good intentions about doing it, it just blew up in their face.

Sometimes there isn't a conspiracy, just a fact.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Rey: Father?
    Luke: No, I am your mother.

KSennia likes this.
  25. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Denial is clearly not just a river in Egypt with you.