main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

spinoff movies will confuse casual viewers?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by OldTimeFan, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    To be honest I enjoyed the PT and the OT however I felt that The Force Awakens was aimed at getting a lot of casual movie goers into the cinemas.

Is there not a real danger that new viewers who went to Episode 7 will be totally confused and lost by Rouge One?

2. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    if they are confused about the han solo spinoff being after episode 8 then ill be worried

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had this conversation with my nephews this morning.

"So when does the new movie take place?"

"Between III and IV. Remember at the beginning of IV when Princess Leia was hiding the Death Star plans inside R2? This movie will show how they got those Death Star plans."

*two sets of nods * OOOOHHH.

They're 9 and 7. I think casual fan adults can handle it.

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I have a hard time not face palming when this happens,but I know not everyone
    that much into sw..

DaddlerTheDalek and nightangel like this.
  5. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    when i described the plot to people who had only seen the first trailer they were like 'oh ok' then i added that it was confirmed vader was in it. so lets just say that amped the excitement.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    eat the "casuals" first!!!

[​IMG]

Pro Scoundrel , B99 and GregMcP like this.
  7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Only the dumb ones.

8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I will say most will know the basic details in December, but there will still be a few ones - mostly those who aren't even able to inform themselves via a quick Google search about R1 - who will be confused.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I am curious to know how they'll get the message out. I know they will, but as it stands, it's really not obvious, even though it seems that way from a fan POV.

Edit: Maybe via talk shows and breakfast TV?

nightangel likes this.
  10. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I don't think that Malaysian moviegoers are that clueless to understand that Rogue One acts like an "Episode 3.5" that is set before the events of A New Hope... Which can be explained to the casual viewer that this movie is of a ragtag group of Rebels assisting with the theft of the Death Star plans (pissing off Darth Vader in the process) - resulting in the subsequent successful attack on that battle station and caused its destruction at the end of Episode 4... :deathstar:

Although there are exceptionally "DUH" people around, unfortunately! :p

11. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    imagine the shock when they dont actually blow up the DS at the end of R1. 'oh my god we'll have another death star movie!"

12. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, I've already heard "There's a new Darth Vader?"

corinthia and nightangel like this.
  13. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    And also wondering where Rey, Finn, Kylo, and Poe have all disappeared to... [face_laugh]

14. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015

oh wait till episode 8 comes out. 'wait what happened to the death star and the new vader?

MF888 didnt you hear the news? daisey was fired and replaced, finn was recast with a guy 40 years older then him, and adam driver is now wearing the full vader mask......

15. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    They will make it very clear in Newspapers and of course in the TV Spots. Something like "Before Luke Skywalker joined the Rebellion, there was need for a different kind of Hero's". Or something like this.

16. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    they should just run with the stupidity and say 'we recast rae, changed her name, and made finn age 40 years in a span of weeks in a coma.

17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    It's not so much dumb people as young kids and those that have only a passing knowledge of the movies that will be confused. I've already explained it as a prequel to ANH to my young nephews and nieces in much the same way as anakinfansince1983 mentioned above. Watching the trailer had provoked the usual confusion in them, from "Where's Rey and Finn" to "Vader's back"? In that regard, I don't think the trailer sets it up that well. It needs some sort of obvious indication as to where and how the movie fits in.

18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Something similar to the trailer for ROTS would be good, to set it up kind of as a flashback.

19. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    really i wouldnt be making fun of kids if i thought it was just kids.

20. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    Thankfully my wife, who's a relative Star Wars newbie, didn't ask "Where's Rey?" or "How come SKB has been rebuilt as a metal planet-thingy?" when the teaser trailer for Rogue One came up, before the screening of The Shallows... Because she watched A New Hope a couple of times on cable, when it was shown over HBO, and has now got a better understanding of what I call "Episode 3.5" (i.e. set before the events of ANH)! :p

21. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    if people are still confused on opening night they can always show ANH before or after the movie that would make everything clearer.

22. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yep. You can already see that's the plan. Ew's coverage leading up to the trailer mentioned it in nearly ever, if not every article.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I don't think it's a confusion that lasts long, it's just an initial response that many will have to hearing of the film for the first time. Once explained, people get it. But it's that initial explanation that needs to be given. Often, it's going to be us fans who do the informing, and we've got 4 more months of work ahead of us ("I'm doing my part!"), but at some stage, the marketing itself needs to do it.

DarthCricketer and Artoo-Dion like this.
  24. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Some people are very dumb.
    I love that the movie includes a couple of PT actors but I think this will go over the head of the casual viewers.

25. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    There is a new invention called the internet... :eek:

It has unlimited resources and will be able to give people answers on the chronology of Star Wars films. ^:)^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.