main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST: Saga Finale? or other?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    There still doesn't seem be any official confirmation on whether or not, storywise, Episodes 7-9 are meant to conclude a set of 3 trilogies or consist of/begin a new storyline. I imagine trying to structure it as a conclusion to the previous six (which ended with a great sense of finality already) to be one of the toughest writing assignments in history and could explain the turmoil in recent months over the Arndt draft.

Using information and rumors gathered over the past year, what is your current guess on the story position of the ST? Final part of one 1-9 story or new storyline altogether?

WatTamborWoo and Dra--- like this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    IMO (as well as what I hope for) the ST 7-9 are meant to bridge to the new generation as George Lucas stated, "Pass the torch." This would in effect be a "reboot" in that it would now branch off from the main Skywalker Saga and open the galaxy up in whole new ways. But It would still continue with the Episodes which is the vision Lucas had -- a modern day serial like Flash Gordon that continues into perpetuity.

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    No way Disney will end it at nine episodes... they'll just continue it with 3 more with the new cast a few years later then more after that, then even more... Disney's goal is Star Wars for decades.

4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I wouldn't think, even in my wildest imagination, that Disney would ever stop making Star Wars movies. The question is more about the narrative. Disney could easily begin a fresh new saga post-episode 9, or they could start it freshly with Episode 7. Even if the Ep.7 characters are related to the 1-6 characters, it doesn't mean it'll be part of the same storyline.

5. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Given the tendency of milking franchises, I'm sure if there's a profit in it we could have X - XII before 2025

6. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I don't know ... Studios are usually hesitant to number films beyond 5 or so, because it makes them seem increasingly stagnant. Can you imagine regular people talking excitedly about seeing Star Wars: Episode XXXIX? I can't.

Instead, it looks like they're going to make the fabled Sequel Trilogy (which has enough mystique and promise built up around it to make it nice and enticing to fans), and then move on to spin-offs, which will allow them to just focus on whatever characters/elements are popular with the focus groups at the time.

Of course, there could come a point where people get bored of the spin-offs, and Disney announce Episodes X-XII just to get people's attention again. But if they've made Episode IX feel like a definitive conclusion, that'll be tricky to pull off.

At the moment, I see it as being like the X-Men film franchise. They had their main series (X-Men, X2 and The Last Stand), and now they're focusing on spin-offs, both for characters (X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine) and for fleshing out the backstory (First Class). There's also the upcoming Days of Future Past, which is a sequel to the main series in a way, but more a comic book-style crossover event for the "modern" X-Men of the original films and the "retro" X-Men from First Class.

Translated into Star Wars: I expect character films (Han, Boba, Vader etc) and backstory films (eg an Old Republic movie, an "origins of the Rebellion" movie) during/immediately after the ST. Of course, once the sequels have their own set of fans, they will probably be followed up by individual movies (eg the further adventures of Han and Leia's daughter).

7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I think 7-9 is the end of the Skywalker stuff. I'm not quite sure if they continue the numerical films after that. I think the approach after that is to make Star Wars films with their own self contained characters and stories...

Personally, I think going on and on and on about Skywalkers is recipe for stagnation. That aspect of Star Wars needs an ending. Then you move on...

Not to mention, the Star Wars live action television show could start to influence the path of the theatrical films...

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really hope they get creative with this thing. I don't want the Skywalker Saga to continue in perpetuity and I'd prefer that the ST brings an end to their story. We see the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire, we see the fall of the Empire, and finally we see the rise of a New Republic and the return of freedom all through their eyes. It's the perfect beginning, middle and end to this particular story. Now I'd like to see a new series with an all new set of characters and objectives. I'd like to see them start over with the Episode numbers and have this new series be a Saga II with it's own three trilogy arc. They could then make new Saga's to their hearts content and we'd have one of the most unique franchises out there (not that we don't already have that.)

9. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    I don't think we'll ever have new Episode numbers. I mean, "Star Wars: Episode I" doesn't exactly have the best reputation. :p

Plus, it ties Disney/Lucasfilm into making more of that particular storyline (since "Episode I" implies the beginning of a larger story"). I think it's more likely that after the ST they'll hedge their bets. Say, make one Old Republic film, and then do a sequel to that if it's successful.

10. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

The only thing I can say that would be an exception is if they decided to remake the Star Wars prequels which is a possibility down the road. Vader will always be one of the most iconic characters and it gives Disney more access and flexibility to shape that character.

But, yeah, other than that, I don't see numerical films coming to play. I mean we will probably see opening crawls and stuff. Just no numerical element attached to them. Kinda like the original release of Star Wars...

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I can see them possibly doing X - XII (the SST?) at some point, but more likely I think is that they'd finish the numerical Episodes with VII - IX (the ST) and then only focus on standalone and spin-off movies after that (with of course the first couple spin-offs apparently coming out in between the ST releases).

12. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    People keep talking about them remaking the prequels, but I don't see it happening unless they reboot the whole Saga. Mainly for two reasons:

1. Studios reboot the most popular films. The whole point of a remake (from a production point of view) is to cash in on the popularity of the original.

2. It's dumb. The prequels suffered greatly from being made so long after the originals that there was a big disconnect between the two trilogies. Making them again, after an even longer time has passed, and without the original creator at the helm, will just create an even bigger disconnect.

Fans see it as "I hated these movies so much, a new version could only be better". But most people would see it as "I didn't care about these characters the first time around, why should I care about them now?".

Vader is iconic. Anakin is significantly less so. Capitalising on Vader is much more likely to take the form of individual spin-offs and Rebellion era movies.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It'll only be over if some Sith lord causes the universe to explode.

Dra--- and SkywalkerSquadron like this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I just think since the series is inspired by the old serials and those serials usually had twelve episodes (here it'd be nine) before starting over with another twelve episode story that that's the structure the Star Wars Saga could follow. At some point in the future there could be numerous saga's all telling their own tale and put together they would be the "History of the Galaxy Far, Far Away..." or the "Journal of the Whills". :p It's ambition and probably not the way Disney will go with it but I can dream... or become a billionaire and buy Disney.

15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    First off you misunderstood me. By continue I meant the time period, not nessisarilly the Skywalkers/Solos (or if they do only a select few).

Also Revenge of the Sith was the 6th film and people went nuts over it, now they're going nuts over the 7th, 8th, and 9th... plus at least 2 spinoffs. Star Wars isn't like most other francishes. Yeah, so what that episode I sucked... people still went to II and III in force, III selling way more than II which is usually uncalled for... then again so are darker plots where the badguys win. As long as Star Wars is willing to have the bad guys win a few movies along the way the later movie curse can be at least delayed by not stagnating the status que but instad by shaking it up.

Next off I was thinking more along the line of decade between new episode trilogies. Should have specified...

As to Star Wars spinoff, I see them more breaking into not only character origin stories but when they start doing so they'll make those into different genre Star Wars stories. So we let's say get a Boba Fett film which will lead to bounty hunter films, which will eventually lead to smuggler films, then crime lord stories. While at the other end of the specturm we could get a jedi spin off, which could lead to a fighter pilot film, etc... and once the franchise starts to branch every which way then we get the killer news Episode X-XII, and everyone will flipout about them getting back together.

I think we're talking about the same thing, mostly, just disagreeing on when X-XII will fit into it. I just think they're already debating it now, vs you who thinks they'll do it out of desperation later. I just think that LFL/Disney is smart enough to see this problem coming years down the road and is already drawing up ideas of how to keep people interested. My bet is it will become like Disney Princesses, to some degree, Disney plans on making this generational. So years later after fan A has grown out of Star Wars they have kids and fan A chooses to watch new Star Wars stuff with their kid, who decades later will watch it with their kids. So like The Clone Wars parents will turn it on for their kids since they loved Star Wars as kids and now its nostalgic too so they can put up with it and maybe even enjoy it.

16. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I see it as extremely likely that they'll continue the Episodes past the ST, at least until Episode XII. I doubt Disney plans to stop continuing the saga with just three new episodes. And of course I'm betting there will be several non-episode spin-offs too (more than two).

Ryus likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    ROTJ did that.

Darth_Articulate and Ryus like this.
  18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    What if this Sith Lord makes the force explode instead? 8-}

19. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    But then...Waru comes in!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Yup. I think that X-XII could easily happen, but I don't think it will be for a while. I think that they'll do the ST, and then spinoffs. I have a feeling that there will be a period of calmness and relative inactivity, much like there was after the OT and after the PT. The SST would happen after a few years of this to once again reignite the interest of the masses. Just my thoughts, but I ain't no fortune teller.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Saga finale/next generation intro. Although long-term I see an OT reboot happening rather than the new generation introduced in Episode VII sticking around in an ever-expanding single continuity.

22. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I can see them reboot the pt at some stage

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    FT? (Final trilogy.)

Personally, I'd love to see it.

Force Smuggler and WatTamborWoo like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I personally do expect to see ep. 10-12 eventually, I just hope Disney will at least wait 5 years after Ep. 9. Maybe expand the spin-off movie universe for a bit. Try an Old Republic / Sith origins style trilogy era. But give it some time after Ep. 9 cuz if Ep. 10 is out 2 years later it would lose it's special nature.

25. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I cannot wait for Episode XXII where Anakin's great great grandson is redeemed after he turned to dark side in Episode XX as the Empire is building the 5th Deathstar, along Han's grandson shooting first on every character essentially ending the saga as the only character left in the galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.