main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] Gone Too Soon (Vignette, songfic) 6.20.2016

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by JediMaster_Jen, Jun 20, 2016.

1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Title: Gone Too Soon

Summary: The crew of the USS Enterprise say goodbye to one of their own.

Disclaimer: I don’t own Star Trek.

Russia, Earth
    June 18, 2265

Jim and Bones stood stoically side by side. Sulu and Scotty stood to their left, slight behind. Spock had his arm around the crying Nyota. The sun was shining and they could all hear the birds chirping. It was a beautiful day on the Chekov property.

The fresh grave before them was a stark reminder of the fact that dangers didn’t just lie in deep space, but also close to home. Their five-year mission had ended nearly one year before and they’d all been reassigned to other duties while the Enterprise underwent a major overhaul.

“So…senseless,” Bones muttered as he stared at the headstone.

Pavel Andreievich Chekov

2241-2265
    Beloved Son and Friend
    Gone Too Soon

“This shouldn’t have happened,” Jim said as he knelt down.

“I just…we were going to meet tomorrow for drinks,” Sulu whispered to himself.

Chekov and Sulu were working with the crew upgrading the navigation controls when an accident occurred.

“It happened…so fast,” Sulu went on. “I…he was trying to help.”

Jim felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up into the blue eyes of Andrei Chekov, Pavel’s father. He stood and shook the man’s hand.

“Pavel loved the Enterprise, and he loved all of you,” he said in his thick accent. “You had all become his family, as much as his mother and I.”

Nyota wiped her tears and stepped in front of everyone. She cleared her throat and began to sing.

Like a comet
    Blazing ‘cross the evening sky
    Gone too soon
    Like a rainbow
    Fading in the twinkling of an eye
    Gone too soon

Bones gently reached out and touched the headstone with the tips of his fingers. He took a deep breath and spoke softly, Nyota’s voice carrying over his.

“Gonna miss ya, kid. Godspeed.”

Shiny and sparkly
    And splendidly bright
    Here one day
    Gone one night
    Like the loss of sunlight
    On a cloudy afternoon
    Gone too soon

Sulu reached into his pocket and pulled out a worn Starfleet patch. He placed it gently on the top of the headstone.

“I’ll see you in the beyond, my friend,” he whispered, then turned and began walking away slowly.

Like a castle
    Built upon a sandy beach
    Gone too soon
    Like a perfect flower
    That is just beyond you reach
    Gone too soon
    Born to amuse, to inspire, to delight
    Here one day
    Gone one night

Jim gave Andrei a gentle hug before turning to face the grave. Next to the Starfleet patch, Jim placed a gold ribbon.

“We’ll meet again, someday, Lt. Chekov,” he said quietly, acknowledging the posthumous promotion of the exemplary young officer.

Jim gave one last nod to Andrei and headed back to the Chekov farm house.

Like a sunset
    Dying with the rising of the moon
    Gone too soon

Nyota’s words echoed through the clearing as the sun dipped below the horizon.

Scotty knelt down and placed two things against the headstone; a bottle of Jameson Irish whiskey and an Eagle’s Knot talisman.

“I know ya prefer that Russian stuff, but…” he trailed off. “The talisman is for protection, wisdom and spirit. I’ll miss ya forever, laddie.”

Gone too soon.

Scotty walked away, leaving only Nyota and Spock. He pulled her into his arms again as she began to cry softly. The tears dripped unabashed down her cheeks.

“Shh, Nyota, I am here,” Spock said gently.

“I’m so…I can’t even describe it,” she said brokenly. “I’m just devastated. He should still be here!”

“Yes, he should,” Spock agreed. “We will never be the same without him.”

The two stood together for a few more moments as darkness began to fall and the moon rose above, lending an otherworldly glow to the pasture where Pavel Chekov would spend eternity.

Nyota pulled away and headed off in the direction of their crewmates, leaving Spock alone.

The tall Vulcan knelt down and brushed a finger over the name. “Dos vedanya, Pavel.”

He stood then and followed Nyota. The future beckoned, but he knew; they all knew it wasn’t as bright as it had been just days before. They’d lost one of their own, and they would carry the hurt and pain with them wherever they went.

**In memory of the very bright and gifted Anton Yelchin. I was so very sad to hear of his tragic passing at such a young age. He will be missed.

**Song lyrics by Michael Jackson

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    JediMaster_Jen - This is a gorgeous tribute to Anton. @};- @};- This was exquisite and heart-touching!! to all who have lost a dear one ... it is always too soon. I have no words to express how blessed I am to have read this. Thank you. Very much.

:* :* [:D] ^:)^

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This tribute was beautifully fitting and poignant, I loved how each crewmate left their respects in their own way. This was a very heartwarming read after the blow of Anton's passing. :(

=D=

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW this is stunning and a beautiful tribute to Anton

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  5. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Whoa. This is...whoa. Hard to find words. First time I've cried over the kid. And he was a kid. Close to my age (26), I think. Das vedanya, Anton.