main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He donated all the sale money to something or other, didn't he?

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    An unspecified education foundation, speculated to be the one he's coincidentally chairman of.

3. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    It's called Edutopia, it's been around for a very long time and he's done a lot of good work through it. Towards the end he was meeting with the Clone Wars team once a month & with Edutopia and educators three times a week. I think that shows how important education is to him. He earned the 4 billion by working his butt off for over 40 years and he reinvested a large portion of that into his passion project, an educational foundation. That's nowhere near as awesome as what most posters here do with their lives but hey, the guy had modest ambitions, cut him a break.

4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, no one wants to hit the man over the head with the Essential Atlas more than I do, but "Lucas is greedy" is far and away the most clueless fan meme.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The constant mind-changing and retconning his own work while claiming it wasn't a retcon "from a certain point of view" made me want to beat the **** out of something (hey, my Essential Atlas is soft cover, he wouldn't feel it). But I'll love the man forever for the work he's done on his educational foundation.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I love that cover! The Bobaesque helmet design went on to be the basis for the comic book version of the Death Watch.

AquaVitae, Starkeiller and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    Totally agree. For every mis-step and the generally unmitigated slide in the quality of George's output for the past 15+ years, there's the realization that, indeed, things could be much worse. For the fans and for the EU and even for the prequels, which could've ended up being much worse.

If people thought Lucas is greedy, wait until they get a taste of Disney!

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If anything, Lucas was controlling, not greedy. To the point I strongly suspect that Lucas' outlines for the ST were probably a major reason for what is happening the EU.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I strongly suspect they threw out Lucas' outlines.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Random Comments and CooperTFN like this.
  11. SabineFett

SabineFett Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 17, 2014
    Here's hoping this leads to some badass female imperial officers.

12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    They threw out the massive EU because no movie producer wants to be constrained by that content. And the majority of the audience would be lost.

Exomnius likes this.
  13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    You are telling me they couldn't come up with an excellent film that worked with the EU, even if they just got rid of the post-NJO or at worst the NJO? This decision just strikes me as laziness of the highest order.

Abadacus likes this.
  14. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

It's not laziness, but business. It's more marketable to sell new stuff than reprints as well as having a blank slate for new visual material. They're gonna make TV series, spinoff movies, more cartoons, etc I presume.

From the creative standpoint, following the EU would be just a constraint I'm afraid, with a lot of the "premium" slots for new material already filled in. As heartbreaking as it is, it's the logical step in the business strategy.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  16. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I ended up preordering the Kindle edition of this, hoping the price will drop before the release date, so I can get the lower price. Otherwise, might stick with the library until the paperback is released.

17. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    As always, i'll wait for the paperback, same as with HotJ and Tarkin.

Riv_Shiel and Gorefiend like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Keep an eye out then for the US editions, you can sometimes snap then up for between £4.50-5 when the UK version will have an RRP of £8.99!

19. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Yeah, I just found that today when I went to replace the hardbacks I own with paperbacks (I'm terrible at keeping the covers on them, and find them too big). Thankfully there are always plenty of sellers offering the older books for 1p and postage. Got around 18 paperbacks for just over £50. One or two I had to pay near full price for though, so annoyingly raised the overall expense.

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I don't know, I feel like they probably used them in some capacity. There's probably a lot of room for using the basic outlines but still doing things their own way. The Arndt script rewrites don't necessarily mean what one may think on that count.

Yeah, it's a pretty weird criticism to be like, "Yeah, screw that guy for...uh...having his own damn charity organization."

21. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Just 'cause the Empire has a few token aliens doesn't mean it was all rosy :p

22. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I'm a little confused, is this a children's book? Rebels is a kid show after all...

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_sigh]

No, this is an adult novel, and Rebels is no more a "kid show" than TCW was.

24. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007

Not so. I've watched all the episodes of The Clone Wars and around half of them are absolutely terrible. 25% are good, and the other quarter are ''meh'' Regardless, TCW was a kids show, although it was unsure of who it was pandering to in places. A bit like episode 1 really, Half slapstick kids fluff, half political adult fare. Definitely an identity crisis.

Rebels is clearly skewing even further down the kids road from everything I've seen and read.

A tip for you: try to see the world how it really is and not how you want it to be. I would LOVE a truly adult or even family friendly live action or animation show, but for me, TCW was just too young and shallow.

WMIRTUTSF and spicer like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Regardless how you feel about it, that's not the case. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a kid show or childish or anything like that. Did you see Umbara? How about the Order 66 arc? The Yoda arc? Season 3 had a lot of politics stuff yeah, and there were a few "kiddy" episodes, but overall the show caters to a far broader audience than you give it credit for.

Rebels may seem to be "skewed" down the kids road to you, but you haven't even seen a whole episode. So as for your "tip"...how about watching an episode of it first before you make a judgment, and keep your opinions as opinions, don't state them as fact, m'kay? [face_peace]