main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star wars battlefront 2 vs. Republic commando

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord_of_pies, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_of_pies

Lord_of_pies Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2005
    These games were both the best star wars games ever made but I want to hear your oppinion on which game is better!

2. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    First off when it comes to this generation of Star Wars games from 2000-Present, KOTOR is the best Star Wars game and thats not just my opinion, you'll find that a lot of other people see the same. Better overall game, better review scores, larger unique qualities/concepts, and larger fanbase.

However between Battlefront and Republic Commando, it all depends on which Battlefront you're talking about. If its BF1 then Republic Commando is the better game. If it's BF2 then Battlefront 2 is the better game.1

3. Lord_of_pies

Nov 4, 2005
    It's Star wars Battlefront

4. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    KOTOR is in fact the best SW game ever (IMO also the best game ever).

But from the two choices BF2 just wins. What I hated about RC were the un-SW-like character meshes, animations and locations.

5. Brother_Of_Watto

Brother_Of_Watto Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2005
    Commando had cooler characters and was focused more on a commando it also had better squad commands which were more advanced than battlefront 2's.

Then on the other hand Battlefront 2 is more general with more levels on space and land. BF2 also has more playable characters and vehicles. It also has more modes of gameplay such as hunt, assault,Galactic Conquest, Rise of the Empire, and Instant action. It has better AI and is not over in just a couple of hours it also has great online play.

Commando is a still good game but battlefront 2 is greater becuase it is generaly an over all better game.

6. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Well if you're talking about BF1 and not BF2 then hands down Republic Commando is the better game. BF1 comes up nowhere NEAR close. BF1 one of the poor LucasArts games ever made because it was so rushed. Republic Commando was delayed a few times thus giving it more time to become a quality game and not a rushed product.

7. Lord_of_pies

Nov 4, 2005
    Oh I meant BF2 it says on the title

8. Kish

Kish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2004
    It's hard to judge the two games, because they are not really all that similiar.

Republic Commando is a singleplayer game. While Battlefront 2 is multiplayer.

Still, with that said, RC kicks BF2 out of the water.

Republic Commando was something new for Star Wars. Not only was it the first tactical game in the Star Wars universe, but it gave us a much better insight into life during the Clone Wars, and the thoughts of individual clones.

Battlefront II, is really just a rehash of Battlefront 1, which is really just a poor copy of Battlefield 1942. (And a REALLY REALLY bad copy of Battlefield 2)

It didn't bring anything that we've never done before. And it didn't redo anything better then we had done before.(Hoth Battle...This is like, what? The 23rd reiteration? Space Flight? Xwing Series did it better. Jedi Fighting? Dark Forces did it better.)

9. Brother_Of_Watto

Brother_Of_Watto Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2005
    You are so wrong man

Battlefront was never trying to copy Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield 2 it was completly new bringing all the battles in Star Wars into one game. It was not trying to be better than X-wing or Dark forces and but be a general game that everyone would enjoy. And have you even played Battlefront 2 becuase I own the game. The Rise of the Empire storyline is completly about the the life and battles of a clone and stormtrooper.

10. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Well both games are similar in my opinion, the objectives and things made BF2 feel more like RC than BFI did... I'd have to say Battlefront 2, but it was a unfair contest. When RC came out I was preoocupied so I never got fully into it, now I'm really into this one. And also because I like playing movie battles alot, so that helps BF2's case.

11. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Both are good but I'd vote Battlefront II.

12. Ryozo

Ryozo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 3, 2002
    Kish, I believe, makes a very good point. Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando can't really be compared fairly because they're two different kinds of game. Just like Quake and Deus Ex cannot be readily compared, even though they share a first-person perspective.

13. Lord_of_pies

Nov 4, 2005
    Why would you though the whole point of this topic is debating over which one is better

14. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Republic Commando easily. Battlefront 2 is a clunky, ugly game that is only fun in multiplayer. To play multiplayer you either have to be online or have friends over. After a few days of playing games with friends they decided they would rather be playing Halo. Several were planning to buy the game and then decided not to after playing it. What does that say about the quality of the game?

Republic Commando on the other hand has a rich single player game and storyline. It's short, but sweet.

15. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    I'm going to have to say Ditto with what you said.

BF1 was a sorry game because it was rushed. Battlefront 1 may be the best selling SW game of all time but that doesn't mean its the better one. I did a thread a while back asking everyone here which would they want more....KOTOR 3 or Battlefront 3. I believe like only 2-3 people said BF3 while like 20+ others said KOTOR 3. That shows that KOTOR is in people's hearts, not Battlefront.

Now as for BF2, thats a great game, but don't jump on it's bandwagon like everyone else. I love the game, I own it and play it everyday. However Battlefront 2 is not a revolutionary game as everyone claims it to be. BF2 is what BF1 SHOULD have been. Pandemic is making a big deal about how BF2 has a storyline and such.....well Pandemic said that BF1 was supposed to have a deep storyline but didn't. Space Battles? Great addition and I love it, however Space Battles is something that should have been in space considering that Space Combat is like a staple on Star Wars. I mean I can go on forever about this but long story short, the things that make BF2 so great over BF1 is things that should have been in BF1 in the first place.

Now with Republic Commando. I would say that this is the first great Star Wars FPS but it isn't, Dark Forces and Jedi Outcast is. However Republic Commando had special elements to it. The music was unique and just wasn't generic John Williams tunes. The music in RC was more....battle-like.

Battlefront 2 is a great game, but I cant praise it too much because the things that make it great are things that should have been in BF1. Just like how I say the ability to Swim is great in San Andreas, but don't love it too much because that should have been in Vice City and GTA3. Swimming in SA wasn't revolutionary....it should have been in the series long before SA. Same can be said with BF2 and its supposenly new additions.

16. Vader_Sanders

Vader_Sanders Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    first of all..Republic Commando...no, just no
    it was a good game, but not THAT good, especially for a Star Wars game, it lasted like 30 seconds and then the game was over

kotor and battlefront are the best in my opinion, but kotor leading by far

you cant really put them against each other cause they are completely different types of games

17. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    This topic reminds me....I still need to play RC.

Sorry Draco, old buddy, I really have no input on your topic. :)

18. DroidGeneral

DroidGeneral Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    you cant really compare these games,2 diff types of gameplay.

19. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    I agree with DG, granted I only spent one afternoon playing Republic Commando on my friends Xbox.

20. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Well there is one thing that we can compare with these two....experience.

Battlefront and Battlefront 2 does a good job with the experience factor, but when I play the game, I really don't feel like I'm playing in the Battle of Hoth, but more like a recreated water-downed arcade version of it. I really don't feel like I'm playing in the Battle over Corasunt, but more like a simmer downed shorter version of it.

However with Republic Commando I really got the feeling that I was some Special Ops group of Clones sent behind the lines during the Clone Wars. I really felt as if I was part of the massive Clone Wars that was going on. The story, the music, the characters, and the levels really did a great job with that.

The Rogue Squadron games in my mind does a better job with Battle of Hoth than BF2. Not to take anything away from it, but it just seems to random and spontaneous and not direct.

So in terms of experience, Republic Commando did that for me. However BF2 is still an enjoyable game by far.

21. DroidGeneral

DroidGeneral Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Those games also have linear type gameplay. BF2 is free. You can defend, attack, fly, use a rocket launcher, capture command posts, snipe, engineer, etc. With those other games its the same thing everytime. With Bf2 and Bf1, no battle is ever the same. So they really cannot be compared.

And Dark Forces is better than Republic Commando, even though Commando is damn good.

22. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Ohhhh yes, Dark Forces is a better game than Republic Commando. But this is about RC vs BF2. Like I said before, you can't compare a lot between these two games but you can compare the experience factor.

-- Republic Commando had great and epic music to it whereas in BF2 every other tune you hear is Battle of the Heros.

-- The 501st story in BF2 was great and unique and better than the piece of crap that Modern Combat had with their story. However it doesn't compare to the story of RC, atleast not in my mind.

-- Even those BF2 is considered a battle-game, I got more of a battle/war-like feel from Republic Commando than BF2. Yes in BF2 it can get pretty hectic at times with blaster fire everyone and grenades going off everywhere. However it just seems to random and thrown around. In RC it was more direct and up front. Maybe thats because in BF2 its less linear whereas in RC its more linear.

-- Difficulty Difficulty Difficulty, I can't stress that enough. There is nothing more irking to me than a game that doesn't present a challenge to me. Play BF2 on it's hardest difficulty level and play RC on it's hardest difficulty level and you'll see what I mean. RC is by far a more challenging game than BF2, even though BF2 can be hard at some points. Capturing a command post thats guarding by 4 droids, super battle droids, and droidekas + General Grevious can be hard, but compare that to trying to advance through a corridor with 3 of your men down and trying to fight off a swarm of droidekas, super battledroids, droids, and a clock is counting down as you have a few seconds to get out or else the place will explode. I call that a rush. However this can be altered to because we all have our own ideas of whats hard and not. Some may say BF2 is harder than RC. However on a larger scale, people would say RC on its hardest difficulty is harder than BF2 on its hardest difficulty.

23. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    KOTOR is a very good game, no doubt, but I personally enjoy playing Battlefront and Battlefront 2 better.

"The best game ever" is an opinion and nothing more. There is no absolute answer to the question of what "the best game ever" is. I personally know many people that never really cared for KOTOR but they absolutely love Battlefront and Republic Commando. Me, I like all three games quite a bit but Battlefront 2 is definately the best one of the lot, IMO.

In fact, if I were to rank the top 10 Star Wars games from best to worst, it would be:
    1) All of the X-Wing series. Yeah, they were all THAT good and I count them as one.
    2) Battlefront 2
    3) Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
    4) Battlefront
    5) Dark Forces
    6) Jedi Knight
    7) Republic Commando
    8) Jedi Academy
    9) Jedi Outcast
    10) Rebellion

And yeah, I know that this thread is for Battlefront and Republic Commando but IMO it's better to get a perspective of how much fun these games are in relation to other Star Wars games, not just each other. For example, one of the reasons for me liking Battlefront 2 better than Republic Commando is due to the space combat feature. Since I'm such a huge x-wing fan, my reasons for liking Battlefront 2 are much more obvious.

24. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    True, but there is more people out there that would say that they enjoy KOTOR more and that KOTOR is the better SW game between the two. Add that to the case studies that has been going on here like the Favorite Star Wars Game thread and KOTOR is leading by a huge margin. Then you add that to the thread I created here asking people which would they rather have, KOTOR 3 or BF3 and almost everyone there said KOTOR 3. THEN you add that to the review scores of BF2 compared to KOTOR. I mean you do the math. Am I saying that this means that KOTOR IS the better game than BF2? No, But again....you do the math.

There is no absolute answer to what the best Star Wars game is, but there is absolute answer to which game got the better scores. There is an absolute answer to which game won the more awards. There is an absolute answer to which game is more liked and has the stronger fanbase.

However I don't want this to turn into a KOTOR vs BF2 arguement. Lets just agree to disagree and move on.

25. Lord_of_pies

Nov 4, 2005
    woha this argument has tooken all games into account but it seems more people like KOTOR better than anyother SW game why? ( i haven't played the series )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.