main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Chronicles, Episode IV, V, and VI Vehicles - Amazon.jp

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jethro Bodarth, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Jethro Bodarth

Jethro Bodarth Jedi Padawan

Nov 10, 2014
    It looks like I was the only American naïve enough to buy this book right away. Thanks for your questions, I'll answer as best I can. One thing I didn't mention before is that there is very little Japanese text, so that isn't a big factor when deciding whether or not to buy it. The names of the vehicles are in English and Japanese. One bit of advice for Positive Fan or anyone looking for vehicles so obscure this book doesn't even have it: I think the best chance of finding the TIE Shuttle would be in the SW collectible card game cards (there are thousands), otherwise there's always Google.

There are twelve pages on the Mon Calamari Cruisers (versus two in the first Chronicles book). Six for each type of cruiser, all three orthogonal views plus some nice oblique views. I'm pretty sure some are published for the first time. I'm sorry, but posting pictures is something I probably won't be able to do. It would require my daughter coming over with her cell phone (I don't even own one) and take pictures to upload. All I can say is maybe, but it will take a while if I can do it at all.

The book has a couple of pictures of cockpits of the regular TIE fighter and Vader's TIE, but they both have pilots blocking some of the view. I know that contradicts what I said about cockpit photos. The vast majority of cockpit photos in the book are free of obstructions, the TIE photos are exceptions. Lots of photos of TIE exteriors, including battle damaged.

I'm not sure how the special edition section compares to those in the expanded "Art of" books. The Chronicles book has a very nice two-page spread on the troop carrier shuttle seen in the background in the Tatooine desert with stormtroopers and dewback. It even shows a storyboard of it deploying the flying sensor droids that go through Mos Eisley. Also shown are the landspeeder that scares the Ronto in Mos Eisley, and I believe the Coruscant air taxi and that long ship Doug Chiang designed and was the first concept art released to promote TPM.

Just one more thought. The mention of background vehicles for the book seems to be limited to the Dornean gunship (the book calls it Braha'tok-class Gunship), the Laser Cannon sled, and three landspeeders from ANH seen in Mos Eisley. One of the landspeeders, called the A1, is so obscure that the Chronicles book only shows part of it in the background of a couple of photos/frame grabs.

I'm happy to answer any other questions, but I expect someone else will buy a copy. It's expensive I know, but I hope I haven't been overly discouraging to potential buyers. My collecting budget will suffer for awhile, but I don't regret buying it.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016

So are they just this kind of photo?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    In the Mon Cal cruiser sections, any pictures of the Liberty model without wings? They added the wings after the fact, is live pics of the wingless cruiser.

--Adm. Nick

4. Jethro Bodarth

Jethro Bodarth Jedi Padawan

Nov 10, 2014
    Sorry I've taken so long to answer the last round of questions. Daneira, the two images you posted are the same two that appear in the new Chronicles book. That's disappointing, I know, but the book has unobstructed views of control panels for the Millenium Falcon, X-Wing, parts of the Death Star, and other ships. Even the ROTJ sand skiff (though there isn't much to it). AdmiralNick22, all of the pictures of the Mon Calamari Liberty ship show the wings, which look like fins in the front view. There is a side view where the wings seem to disappear, but that's just a matter of perspective.

Just for fun, I watched ROTJ to see if I could find the obscure Dornean (Braha'tok-class, apparently in Klingon) gunship based on the frame grab shown in the book. I found it, if you want to see the best view of it, it's at 1:40:26 in the Special Edition. If you pause the dvd at that point, the gunship is at the bottom of the screen, partially in front of the Death Star. Enjoy the three or four seconds of it at a distance, I couldn't find it in any other scene.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Thanks for the info on the Liberty-type. I figured that there were no images of the wingless version, as they added the wings to the model during production, but after they used the wingless model for the jump to hyperspace scene (the rear of one of these cruisers is visible on the right of the screen).

Any cool/new angles for the Home One-type?

RE: Braha'tok-class gunship, one is also visible during the scene where the Rebel Fleet jumps to hyperspace. We see a full side profile briefly alongside Home One, see below:

[​IMG]

They also appear in the Rebel Fleet shown in Rogue One. :)

--Adm. Nick

6. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    I just got this book from Amazon.jp, and absolutely love it. It ships in a beautiful binder/dust jacket and is bound beautifully. I almost didn't want to open it.

This is terrific reference for modelers -- there were many, many pictures I'd never seen before. I've only looked at the section on Episode IV so far, but the chapters on the X-wings, Y-wings, and Falcon alone were worth the price of admission for me.

It does kinda suck not being able to read the Japanese text -- the book uses English for the Table of Contents & Chapter Headings, but there's some Kanji mixed in with the pictures that's probably very interesting. Oh well...

7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I wonder what kind of photos there are of the ESB and ROTJ AT-ST models. They're very different, going from what is seen on-screen. I saw the ESB one in a promo picture, was very detailed and a different angle from the Technical Journal image, seen here: https://i.imgur.com/xrqwhtQ.jpgI tried to scale it against the R1 AT-ST, which is based on the ROTJ model.

8. TKnightcrawler

TKnightcrawler Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2017
    Where did you get that list? It does have the Cannon Sled, which should be an indication as to the validity of the list, because I've never seen anything else from the sled except the promo shot of Luke using its cannon. It also shows a background landspeeder and pretty much everything else you said. However... sadly.... there are absolutely no background ships from ESB in the book. I've checked several times. And that's... kind of what I was looking for. :( If this list is from a preview somewhere, maybe the authors decided it wasn't worth including those pages? If so, maybe I can E-Mail them and get copies of those couple files. Because that was mainly what I was after...

Tzizvvt78 likes this.