main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Concert

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo-07, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Mods: I know this isn't directly related to Episode 7 but if you'll indulge me for a day since no one goes to any other forums . . .
    ---

So thanks to TF.N I learned about a concert being held in my great state of Maine

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/The_Portland_Symphony_Orchestra_To_Explore_Star_Wars_154318.asp

[​IMG]

I bought tickets to take my niece and we got ours just in time - the concert understandably SOLD OUT!!!

We got there early to see 501st Legionaires dressed up to take pictures with, which we of course did. Two Stormtroopers, a Tie Fighter Pilot, a Biker Scout, Two Rebel X-wing pilots and an Endor Trooper all looked good in their uniforms.

As we waited for the doors to open they handed out SW themed programs with a picture of Vader and Yoda on the cover that kids could color. My niece got one but I took one for me as well. :p

Then we went upstairs to the balcony seats, middle, so we could oversee the entire orchestra. Many kids of all ages wore Star Wars costumes or tee shirts and there were a lot of lightsabers. My niece asked if we'd see Chewie and we did! While the orchestra was warming up at one point a man in a Chewie costume sat in the orchestra and Princess Leia came out and scolded him until he left. It was cute and surprising.

Before the concert started we heard Vader's breathing over the PS system. Vader instructed us as to where the exits were etc... It was freaking cool.

Then Norman Huynh, the conductor, came out in a Jedi robe and began the concert with the theme from 2001 a Space Odyssey. He then talked to the audience about the concert and gave facts about George Lucas, like when he was writing SW he listened to Strauss' "Planets." Then they played Mars, which I actually have in my music collection, which is my favorite of the Planets symphonies. It also shows the inspiration for a lot of the music, which Norman talked about.

Then the SW portion of the concert began with the opening them/closing theme from A New Hope -- spine tingling.

After the opening we had a surprise guest -- R2-D2 rolled out and Norman talked to him. Then, as if that weren't cool enough, C3-P0 came out. He told the saga starting with young Anakin Skywalker. The orchestra then played Anakin's theme from Episode I and while they were playing a young boy (about 6) dressed like Ani came out and patted R2. It was cute.

Then they played Duel of the Fates which is just awesome to hear live. They didn't have choral accompaniment but it was powerful nonetheless. DotF is Epic! While Fates was playing the 501st guys came out on the stage and did this funny skit where they kept capturing each other.

After that they played Battle of the Heroes from ROTS, really awesome! I literally had chills and envisioned that epic duel the whole time.

Next, they calmed things down a bit by playing Princess Leia's theme from ANH. While the theme played Princess Leia in costume came out and recorded her message to Obi-Wan with R2-D2.

Then they played the Imperial March from TESB! Powerful! Norman conducted the orchestra with a red lightsaber and the lighting over the orchestra turned red. While it was playing the 501st Stormtroopers and Vader marched around the bottom floor and made their way to the stage. Incredible!

They relaxed it abit with a reprise of Han and Leia from TESB and then to work in all the highest points of the saga C3-PO mentioned Yoda -- then in Yoda's voice recounted the rest of the story through to the end where the orchestra played the ending Medal Ceremony music from ANH.

Unfortunately that was almost the end of the concert. After a standing ovation they played the finale which was the closing credits from ANH. Another standing ovation.

Just a fantastic experience which I'm excited to be a part of. My niece was surprised because we didn't tell her what we were doing. Every other week it seems she asks me when we're going to Episode 7 so I was pleased that we were able to kick-off the new era of Star Wars with this amazing concert. And if there's anyone from the PSO that comes here that concert was sublime and truly amazing! My only criticism is that it was too short -- I could easily have listened for another hour. And if your orchestra near you does something like this you HAVE to go. It's simply and incredible experience to feel the music you love live.

2. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I'm glad you had a great time. :)

3. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Thank you! It was great!

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It sounds like it was awesome Echo-07 and I'm glad you and your niece had a great time. I once took my kids to see The Lion King musical but I'd love to be able to take them to a Star Wars event. Never been to a SW themed concert but it's now definitely on my bucket list.

5. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Thank you!

Yes, I have TF.N to thank for posting the article and link. I wouldn't have known otherwise. And, yes, definitely do it if given the chance. Perhaps those interested in something like this could recommend it to your nearest Symphony.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.