main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STAR WARS Debate thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by DarthLucanas, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I don't think Chewie would ever go to the dark side. He's far too honorable to do such a thing. There are times I'm sure where he'd be tempted, just like any other Jedi with emotional attachments, but he would overcome it. His brute strength and light side force abilities would be more than enough to put him on top of almost any situation.

2. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    Question

Why does a lightsaber deflect a laser bolt instead of absorbing it?

For example Dooku's force lightning was absorbed by Obi-Wan's lightsaber. Why not laser bolts?

3. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I imagine that Obi-Wan could have deflected the force lightning back at Dooku if he had wanted to, just like Yoda could have thrown it back at Dooku instead of "catching" it and making it disappear somehow. But force lightning is a dark side fighting tactic, so it wouldn't be their style. You also have to consider that Dooku was once a respected comrade of theirs that they're encountering for the first time in ages. Not that it's ever a Jedi's style to launch an all-out offense against his/her opponent, but in this situation I just think it makes that kind of action less likely. So Obi-Wan and Yoda deal with the lightning in a purely defensive manner.

EDIT: I guess I should also say that laser bolts are different then because they're not a product of the dark side, so a lightsaber can be willingly used to deflect the bolts to help Jedi in combat.

4. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    Are you saying Rose that Jedi can choose what the lightsaber deflects and absorbs? Or something differe. I wouldn't think they had a choose.

As far as Yoda throwing the lightning back. I don't think it would been as easy as just him throwing it back. I think he would have had to utilize the dark side to do so.

5. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I'm not saying they always have a choice, but I think there is a choice when it comes to force lightning. Since this is all fiction and hopefully no one ever considers this issue so important that they need to write a book to explain exactly what a lightsaber can and cannot deflect, I'm just making an educated guess here.

Like you said - to throw back the lightning, Yoda would've needed to be in contact with the dark side somehow. That's a choice, and he chose not to. I believe it was the same for Obi-Wan in that situation. Presumably Yoda was able to "absorb" the lightning without touching the dark side, and I think Obi-Wan did the exact same thing, except using the lightsaber and not his bare hand. Makes sense, since he's less masterful with the force than Yoda at this point, that he'd need something besides himself to "absorb" the force lightning.

I think force lightning could be deflected with a weapon such as a lightsaber that is controlled by someone using the force, but only with the dark side. The light side can affect force lightning but only in a manner that contains it, not in a manner that controls it otherwise. Does that make more sense?

6. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Who knows, maybe this issue will come up again in Episode III, and we'll have more to think about. ;)

7. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    From the EU/RPG side of things, both are skills that Jedi can develop through the Force.
    Your average Jedi can probably deflect blaster bolts. It's the skilled ones that can redirect them.
    As for the lightning, Jedi can learn to dissapate/absorb/deflect energy directed at them (Vader v Han). Obi used his saber as a lightning rod with a little help from the Force, dissapating the energy. Yoda being as powerful as he is can absorb the lightning. My impression (from the look on his face) is that he had to purge the energy from himself quickly. (lest he forget, walk across the Jedi Temple carpet and zap someone)
    In the past couple of books I've read, Yoda makes no secret of the fact that he has studied the Dark Side during his long life.
    But to get to the original question, I think it's more of a physical/meta-physical thing. Since lightning is created by the Force, the Force can be used to effect it.

Or the real answer is....it just looks cool ;)

8. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    That's very interesting Dex. I'm curious, what's your source (or sources)? I'm not very familiar with the RPG. More familiar with the EU in general but there are still a lot of gaps in my knowledge. :)

9. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Over the years (1987-Present) there have been a few RPG source books dealing with Jedi and their abilities. Basically, anything you see in the films, they had to translate into the game somehow, skill wise.

10. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Or the real answer is....it just looks cool
    That would be the true answer to that question ;)

I've always thought the the Force lightning could be obsorded because it was pure energy (think: water) adn the reason that the blaster bolts would be deflected on lightsaber was because they were physical (think: water balloon). The lightsaber is like a river and it came absorb the water (Force Lightning) but since blaster bolts are contained (water balloon) they would just bounce off.
    Of course, this doesn't explain how Vader absorbs Han's bolts...

11. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    If I recall, he actually deflects them. Wait, what kind of SW geek am I?!? (*runs out to the living room, pops in ESB dvd*)
    Yes he does. You kinda have to watch slow-mo but he deflects them. The second bolt is clearest. You can see on the left side of frame the ricochet impacts the doorway where the heroes are standing ;)
    Also, as another source, in Knights of the Old Republic II you can pick up a blaster bolt deflection skill to use without a lightsaber.

12. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    That's very interesting Dex, I feel like a failure as a Star Wars fan for not knowing that. :p It's obscene how long it's been since I've sat down and really watched the movies.

13. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Don't feel bad, evryone has things they know that others don't. ;) The new Trivial Pursuit DVD game looks like it will be a bit more challenging than the last one.
    The only reason I know that is b/c it came up in an RPG discussion a long time ago as to whether or not he was absorbing or deflecting the bolts.

14. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    I've seen a few people comment on this. In the cartoon network's Clone Wars we see the Jedi kicking butt. BUT! Some people think they kicked too much butt.

Were the Jedi depicted to powerful? Or maybe we just aren't used to seeing Jedi's in their prime.

Personally I don't think its much of a stretch. Before now our examples of jedi were Old Ben and dying Yoda. Look at what Luke was able to do with the force and he didn't even have the proper training.

Yoda tossing battle ships? Mace dismantling a droid armor? Piece of cake.

15. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Some of it is exaggerated due to the medium, IMO. Some of it is a bit much. If we saw it in film it'd be over the top.
    What I'm more curious about is how LFL could have boshed continuity between the toons and Labyrinth of Evil. I thought they'd be on top of that by now. :)

16. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    I was curious what was going to happen about that once I heard the time frame of the cartoon. It seems like they just ignored each other completely.

17. DarthAnakin30

DarthAnakin30 Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    And I thought I knew all about Star Wars...now I read this and wow...I just might have to watch the movies more now..lol

This is all great though...I always thought it was a skill learned by a jedi to be able to deflect a lightning bolt with his hand or saber. Something along the lines where the more you learned the more you could do, as in the case as Obi-wan using his saber and Yoda absorbing it with his hand.

18. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Here's something I've been pondering...

Does Obi-Wan know at the end of Ep3 that Ani/Vader lives?

If you were charged with hiding one of his kids from him, wouldn't you at least change his freakin last name?!?
    Why wasn't he Luke Lars...ok it sounds stupid that's why. LOL

But really, how many Skywalkers can there be in the galaxy?

19. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    Well considering that Luke was on the planet that Anakin/Vader hated worst of all next to Mustafar I think that Obi-Wan figures that's the last place Anakin would ever return would be Tatooine.
    Too many bad memories there.

And Tatooine isn't a planet that the Empire would really care about, to really have a huge presence there.

And maybe it is in honor of Shmi since she was a mother to Owen and they did care for her very much.

I don't know just some thoughts. :)

20. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    This is what I'm loving about the prequels. When you watch the OT, you start thinking of the connections with everything.
    Like, what was going thru Vader's mind when they were over Tatooine in ANH?
    Was he told who the Lars' were and said kill them anyway?

21. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Like, what was going thru Vader's mind when they were over Tatooine in ANH?

And I quote:

"Oh, great! Tatooine. Raise your hand if you want to be here! (Obsene gestures ensue) Stupid Rebels! Of all the places they could run to, they choose here. Maybe I should let them escape so they can find out what a crappy place this is. I better not have to go down there! If so, maybe Watto's still alive for me to torture or something. That stupid Hutt is probably running things down there. Well, he can have all the sun and sand. I can't wait till I get these plans and return to the Death Star. Maybe my Master will allow me to pilot that hunk of metal and test its weapons on this oversized sandlot. Or maybe I'll just convince Tarkin its in his best interest to pay this hell hole a visit."

Imperial Captain: "Lord Vader, We have captured the Rebel ship and are preparing to board"

Vader: "Good, I will assist with the boarding party. Inform command we have secured the plans and prepare the troops for heavy resistance."

Imperial Captain: "Yes my Lord!"

Vader, waiting to board the Rebel Ship: "I hate The Rebels. I hate the Senate! Theyre going to complain once we board. I wish they would just disappear. Theyre always sticking their nose into matters that dont concern them. Well, at least we'll be detaining that litlle Princess from Aalderan. She's at least something to look at, though too full of herself to ever find a suitor. Not that it matters now. She is a Rebel spy and traitor. Time is agaisnt her now. She will meet her destiny. Such a shame, she may have had potential. Here we go!"

The door to the Rebel Ship blows open and the battle ensue. Vader strides through shortly later and the rest you know.

22. OldjediMasterYoda

OldjediMasterYoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005

Yeah i agree with Darth Lucanas plus Obi Wan knew he could watch over him

23. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah, the new young adult series "The Last Jedi" is about Obi in exile. I think it's a year or two after Ep3.

24. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    in response to the blaster deflect question.

IMO a blaster is a man made weapon discharge which carries less force/power and is easily deflected. lightning is a STRONG sith power and can ONLY be obsorbed by a saber due to the force of that attack. As far as yoda being able to catch lightning and throwing it back that is something I believe ONLY a master the Caliber of yoda can do it shows how truly powerful he really is!!!

Side note: in jedi power battles the video game you can deflect blaster bolts back but the tuskens shot bullets of some type and they just hit the saber and asbord into the blade.

25. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Size matters not. As far as the force is concerned, is this true?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.