main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars: Detours (SW Comedy show title announced by Lucas)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by MakingStarWars, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What's so evil about making billions through movies, TV-series and books? It's not as if he leads an oil-corporation or anything. Could you explain? I dislike some of the moral stands he took, but at the same time he gives some sensible statements. So it's mixed feelings for me.

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Could you please stop this pointless discussion about Lucas?- I don't know what he has done to Imnotafanboy but you should leave the franchise if you hate him so -
    he is a businessman- but so are most eu-artists as well - it's not like they are innocent slaves of Lucas that's total **** this "SW is great without Lucas" is a lie- don't buy it- if he sucks so hard no eu would've been made ever- he must have done something right with his basic ideas since eu-artists wouldn't have used his universe in the first place - if their universes would've been "better"....

No one has to like Lucas but you can stop bashing him- since he has also fans- such pointless warmongering is just ruining the forums.... and this topic is not even about his money....

so return to topic please.....

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Swash, if you don't like it, then don't read it. No-one's forcing you to get involved.

Being a cynic does not mean I see everyone as 'evil'. I just question supposed 'philanthropic' acts and find it difficult to believe that the people who made these billions for themselves are truly charitable at heart, because being truly generous, with no vested interests and based solely on philanthropic reasons, is not a good way of doing well in business. One can use charitable donations to one's advantage through the boosts to public opinion of you - generally when given a choice between retailers that are equal in price and product quality, many people in this day and age will choose the one that has a better ethical or moral stance and principles. The amount he's giving away is so substantial that people will think he's a saint among men and will flock to buy his products. As much as people refuse to accept of believe it, that's the simple truth about business in the modern world; ethics are a huge factor in marketing and can make or break many a company. Believe me, I got an A* in A-Level Business Studies, I know what I'm talking about.

I don't see Lucas as a Samaritan or anything because at the end of the day he's not really giving up anything. He has nothing to lose from stuff like this, only loads to gain. Same with any celebrity, they're not compromising or sacrificing their extravagant lifestyles, they're not exactly making themselves out to be the Devil's advocate either but they're showing they still care about the money. And they will revel in the good PR and the extra revenue it provides. If he was to give away all his possessions and live out the rest of his life in poverty helping the poor, then maybe I'd think different of him. But at the end of the day, rich people do these things 1) because they can afford to, and 2) because they can use it to their advantage in business.

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Everything you said could well be true, but as long as charity gets that money, I don't care if Lucas gets even more money back. What we know, he could give those into charity too, or at least invest them to something we'll enjoy.

But back on topic, someone said that if this is like Robot Chicken or Family Guy specials, it will get old pretty soon. I agree with that. Those specials were about making comedy of Star Wars. Hopefully this series will be about making comedy in Star Wars universe.

Take a comedy show like Friends. Now it's set on Coruscant, one of them is a Snivvian, another a Duros, and their workplaces are on a diner, an office and the Death Star. That could work, as long as the jokes are good.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    How often you do follow this advice yourself? Anyway Lucas could've kept all money by himself no one told him to give anything away - those were his money- besides his trick didn't work if no one thinks he is samaritan or are you somehow more clever then and you cannot be fooled by such a cheap trick (actually damn expensive)?
    Lucas is rich but he happened to have good ideas once- or he wouldn't be so rich- considering the fact that even you like stuff- his work or stuff his work has very heavily inspired- he is not all evil-

whatever you have against him- i really find you bit hypocrite when you bash him now- in any case giving money to charity is good thing even if he did it for selfish reasons- he could've done worse stuff with them-

It's easy to bash rich people but many times it's just jealously- i respect the way Lucas managed to create such a empire- he is just normal guy with flaws but not every boy manages to create something that is this big as Star Wars- so there is something he have done right even if he is selfish or greedy he is at least clever businessman....

I think Lucas didn't do it only as PR-trick (maybe partially) but he naturally feels pretty guilty of having such a fortune- that deed doesn't make him saint but it didn't hurt anyone either so where is the problem?

Anyway this still has nothing to do with topic....

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I really don't know what else to expect from Seth Green and the assumption I've heard on the Force Cast is the comedy will be animated, perhaps like'Titan Maximum' which is a funny show, I can see potential for an SW comedy similar to it. But I've never heard whether Matthew Senreich is also involved. 'Titan Maximum' was really his show. Not to mention he's the other creative half behind Robot Chicken.

I think Adam Reed would have been a better choice to consult for an SW animated comedy. I think an SW Comedy with a style similar to 'Frisky Dingo' or better yet 'Archer' would work great.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But you don't know what his primary motivation was, right? Rich people aren't that different from us, they can be compassionate at times. I don't see any evidence that points to Lucas making a publicity stunt. At the same time there's no evidence for the opposite, so I'm still undecided on the matter. Maybe he wanted to do both: Help some people and get something out of it at the same time.
    But anyway, even if it was a pure publicity stunt ... bottom line is: Poor people get some help, and I'm fine with that result.

So only giving "everything" is good enough in your book? That's a hell of a high standard. Not everyone is capable of becoming Mother Theresa. Lucas certainly likes his life style but that doesn't mean he can't do something good now and then. You seem pretty jaded about rich people. I don't think they are all the selfish moneygrabbing bastards you make them out to be.

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I hope this new series isn?t like Robot Chicken of the Family Guy specials. Spoofs, basically. I hope its, yes, a comedy, but also something that?s in continuity with the films.

Anyone agree or disagree?

9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I can live with Looney Tunes meets Star Wars, if it's done right. There is a lot of room to mess up here.

10. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I only know that, as of late, Star Wars and comedy haven't gotten along well. If Lucas hands over authority to Seth it might turn out well, but if he takes a direct approach like in TCW this whole project might be a big mess. [face_worried]

11. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Maybe this talk of a comedy show is just cover up for a rogue squadron show[face_praying]

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Maybe comedy meets rogue squad...

I take it no body has ever seen 'Titan Maximum'?

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I have totally lost my interest towards this comedy- there is enough tragicomical turns in development of the live-action show or TCW's writing :p

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I agree. As much as I love the Robot Chicken stuff there's enough of that kind already. I hope the show is at least somewhat serious, like Scrubs.

15. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Agreed. Media is already overflowing with Star Wars comedy, not to mention the three SW-exclusive episodes we've gotten from Family Guy and Robot Chicken. Frankly, I would rather get a show telling serious stories in the SWU instead of getting another Family Guy/Robot Chicken.

Unless Lucas has a really good plan for this project, I just can't see myself getting that into it.

16. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    There haven't been any hints that this will be a variety show like Robot Chicken. I'm hoping for a Tag and Bink kind of show.

17. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I think you're the cynical one!! Jeez, you accuse a man you've never met of everything short of eating babies for breakfast. Can you read his mind or something? How do you know what motivates him? Giving to charity doesn't equal profits, little kids wanting SW toys know nothing about his charity donations. He can afford to give it away, so he does - that's pretty generous. Many rich people can afford to do so and don't.

18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    OMG you're so right I'm a monster I should go kill myself now before I'm given the chance to unleash terror murder mayhem chaos and destruction upon the world :rolleyes:

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    What really irks me is the direction that were going with this. I wanted something....different. I'm happy with the Robot Chicken and Family Guy stuff, but, that should be the extent of it. One thing that bother me, is why does star wars have to have the clone wars as the only real era to get covered in animation? There are other areas that are begging for some awesome 2-d or 3-d animation. Which ever your pleasure.

20. SinisterSamurai

SinisterSamurai Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2011
    I haven't exactly had the chance to look at his books, but charitable donations provide a number of fiscal benefits. One is good PR. The other is tax related. Some companies manage to make more money by donating, some trickery with the tax brackets or some such. I can't say with any certainty that George Lucas donated simply for those reasons, but I can't say that he didn't, either.

21. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Preety much all of this (especially the latter).

22. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004

Exactly.

Also, despite the obvious decline in quality with the franchise as a result of the Prequels, I just don't consider Lucas to be one of these Smug and Superior A-holes who thinks his poodoo doesn't stink (at least not to an extreme as almost everyone can be like this from time to time) unlike a certain showrunner on The Simpsons by the name of Alfred Earnest Jean (Someone who i'm sure is quite a cheap spender and wouldn't even think of donating a single penny to charity). And with the prequels, I doubt Lucas intentionally decided to make them bad or was being lazy for the hell of it (hell, I don't even find the prequels as horrid as people make them out to be).

23. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    I totally agree with this.

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's a Trap was quite weak, the opening crawl says it all.

I thought the second Robot Chicken Star Wars special was solid, but the third didn't offer me much entertainment.

The second and third Robot Chicken episodes just aren't worth watching more than once.

25. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    LOL. And the guys at Wookieepedia are driven mad.[face_skull]