main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Episode VII novelization

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Nov 21, 2014.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    He's good at description and world-building. For example, he describes Vader and Tarkin as "as different in appearance as they were united in objective."

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 26X Wacky Wednesday/23x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    Tarkin is also:

"a thin, hatchet-faced man with hair and form borrowed from an old broom and the expression of a quiescent piranha."

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

This is about as much a Disney film as The Insider.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

LOL...this novelization is going to be fun.

Thanks for posting that...

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Episode VII? Are we still talking about Star Wars or did I miss something?

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

Yeah, TFA. Disney, by all appearances are just acting the parent company. There's been none of their branding on the trailers or posters.

Walt Disney Studios has been producing/releasing an extremely broad range of films for a long time though. After all, they released Pulp Fiction. It's a bit unfair to suggest there will be tangible signs that Disney have imposed their supposed "mark" on the product, especially to the degree that someone like Stover would be vetoed.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I mean, c'mon people, let Alan Dean Foster have the gig to at least get his name on the cover of at least ONE Star Wars novelization. He's written two of 'em!

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm not sure if I get what you mean -- Disney's name's all over the place on this. Every news item or announcement has mentioned Disney this-and-that, and the Disney channel's advertising Star Wars all over the place.

Unrelated, I agree with you that Stover will have a shot at writing a novel someday. I just didn't think it would be the first novelization, because they're trying to make the movie family-friendly. Not like The Insider or Pulp Fiction. That's all I meant.

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

The trailer, notably, only uses the LFL logo and I'd put money on the film doing likewise and only having the Disney castle at the end. The poster doesn't, as some speculated, have "Disney's" over the banner, and the one Disney person who was working on this has had his work jettisoned.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003

I'm sorry 4Dot my man -- I'm not sure what you're getting at. Star Wars is Disney's and my original point was that why would they use Stover's talents at writing dark/gritty-inner-turmoil-etc (which he's great at) on a film like TFA, which they've been marketing with a much lighter tone? Clearly Abrams/Kennedy/etc are trying to bring back the OT vibe, and someone like ADF is a good fit for that position, and so I don't think it's a surprise that Stover didn't get the gig. But that doesn't mean he won't get something else down the line.

12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm not disagreeing. I just bristle at the suggestion that Disney purchasing LFL will have some immediate, dramatic and tangible on what the films themselves feel like any more than if Warners or whoever had done the same thing. If anything LFL look to have been left largely to their own devices. As for the tone of the piece... it's got some interesting elements like...

*actual legitimate TFA spoilers of actual actualness*

*I'm not kidding*

Finn suffering from the trauma of having to kill civilians and seeing a comrade bite the dust (and having a chunder as a result), Luke's students being massacred, etc. Not entirely sunshine/lolipops/rainbows contingent.

But yeah, I get the feeling that we're hung up on a technicality.

[​IMG]

Play on.

13. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Yeah, it was a joke. I'm not a big fan of the show, despite (because of?) watching it to the end. But I can't point to any particularly objectionable work of his on the show.

Note that that was before Mindor was finished. I'm pretty sure he swore off Star Wars at that point.

14. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Why do people keep saying this? He's written three Star Wars books: Star Wars, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and The Approaching Storm. Out of those, the only one that's a novelization is the only one he's ghost written. George Lucas didn't put his name on any other novels. Am I missing something? I even double checked on the Wook.

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I like that this thread has a tangential Stover discussion running in the background.

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005

At any rate, being credited with the story for Star Trek: The Motion Picture probably trumps the ignominy of losing credit for the Star Wars book.

I'm going to pitch a coffee table book: Alan Dean Foster's Credits and How to Interpret Them

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Yes, he does have two non-novelization Star Wars novels (Splinter & Storm) under his belt but he wrote the original "Star Wars" novelization and he doesn't have a credit for it, so I think it's nice that he'll get to do a bona-fide novelization for "Force Awakens" and have his name on the cover this time.

18. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    It's interesting to me that later editions of the first Star Wars novelization still list George Lucas as the author, even though if you open to the first page of the introduction by Lucas and he says himself in the second sentence that Alan Dean Foster actually wrote the novel. Not that it really matters, but it is odd to me.

I'm a fan of Foster. I haven't read The Approaching Storm but I've read Star Wars (or "A New Hope," or "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker." This book has too many titles) and Splinter of the Mind's Eye and I thoroughly enjoyed both books, continuity errors and creepy brother-sister romantic feelings and all.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I liked The Approaching Storm and I'm joined by literally no-one else in the known universe on that front.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Up until I read this thread I had only heard good things about The Approaching Storm...

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 26X Wacky Wednesday/23x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    Dig around a bit - you'll find a few other fans of it here. I certainly think it doesn't deserve the amount of dislike heaped on it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Approaching Storm is almost universally disliked from what I have heard, at least around here. I wouldn't know, because I haven't ever tried to read it.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    . . . where?

24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm okay with Alan Dean Foster doing this, you know Splinter of the Minds Eye was a good little book there, and his movie novelization was not bad. Approaching Storm was different, as a tie in novel and alleged prequel to AOTC it could have been a bit better, when compared to Luceno's LOE novel. Still, I'm glad that at least we get a movie novelization. I would hate for tradition to be broken and have an empty adult movie book for TFA. Now to the other point that Bariss made, the fact is no matter what, Disney own Lucasfilm, and everything since the purchase of the property has been about returning back to the OT. You can argue what you want here on the PT, but, from different interviews and comments made, it is like everyone is moving way from the prequels. No pun intended, but that is what they are advertising. This has been the main strategy and on the book side of things, with the exception of Luceno, JJM, and the new Kemp book, it doesn't look like we are going to see Zahn, Stover, or some of the others. Christie Golden landed the clone wars novel gig and I pray that one is good or we will never hear the end of it. Even the first season of Rebels has music from the OT mixed in, but nothing on the PT.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Other than Luceno, JJM, and Kemp we are getting no Zahn, Stover, Luceno, JJM, or Kemp? Am I missing something or is the complaint that Zahn and Stover are not amongst the first seven authors announced?