main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars vs. Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth-Lutgerous, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Explain please.

2. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Yeah, I don't get this either.

3. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    He ripped of JW's score and wanted to compose ROTS? That's what I'm getting, but I trust Gneral Kenobi can explain.

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Palpatine to Anakin aboard the Invisible Hand:

"It is only natural. He cut off your arm and you wanted revenge."

I was making a joke. Get it now?

5. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Star Wars Ep.IV,in particular.

John Williams is just the hands-down master as far as providing accurate musical commentary
    as well as coming up with textures that would make it seem that the movie could never exist without the score and vice-versa.
    It takes someone with just the flat out gift of music to comment on how dry it is on Tatooine
    using winds and percussion.It also takes someone with intelligent ears to be able to make winds and strings seem as much a part of the sounds of X-Wings taking off from the 4th Moon as the sound FX itself.

I just don't hear a lot of "genius" in todays scores like I do with Star Wars.I hear a lot of budgets and foreshortened work schedules and certainly,more than enough "scores by committee".

Maybe what I'm really getting at here is,where is the next "John Williams"....?

6. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    If you took a person who has never seen either LOTR nor SW, I think they would like LOTR better. BUT SW music fits the SW films much better than how LOTR music fits the LOTR films. Therefore as a score, SW is better but for music in general, LOTR is better. When I listen to LOTR, I keep thinking "now where in the movie did this piece come in"? But with SW, u instantly recognize which scene or which character the piece is about.

7. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    "When I listen to LOTR, I keep thinking "now where in the movie did this piece come in"?"

This site should prove most helpful to you.

[face_peace]
    ttbk

8. Madakast

Madakast Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    I suppose that depends entirely upon how often you listen to the music. While I like SW music better than LOTR, I listen to it from time to time and know where in the movies the music can be found. My favorite piece is from ROTK when Frodo and company are passing Minas Morgul. Still, it's not nearly as enjoyable as "The Asteroid Field" from ESB or, more recently, "Battle of the Heroes."

9. VadorLover

VadorLover Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    this is tough for me
    i like them both but lets see
    Sw:
    better music (ilove orch.)
    seet in the future
    good acting
    great imaganation

lotr:
    music ok
    love dark-ish, old-ish style
    hotter actors
    classic

ok i still go with them both being equally awsome

10. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    This thread is focusing on the music, not how "hot" the actors are. ;)

11. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    OMG! No talking about hot actors or actresses in teh Music Forum!

Indeed, the point of this thread is to compare John Williams' music of SW to that of Howard Shore's in LOTR.

12. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    SW completely owns it.

13. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    I think Star Wars might be set before our current time. Perhaps even LOTR time.

14. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    OMG, did you see that shot that comes up before the Star Wars music starts?

It says "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away"!

But we get to listen to the wonderful music of both now in 2005!!

15. poker

poker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Both are incredible.

My PERSONAL opinion is that Star Wars is better.

16. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    hmmmm,

Both full sets (LOTR and SW) fill their respective roles very well. As an orchestration exercise i think the SW stuff shows a LOT more variation and harmonic knowledge (JW is pretty good at this!!). LOTR has a great use (overuse?) of Horns. Big and bombastic (and i happen to know multitracked).

As for a recording - despite the fact that LOTR uses very heavy multitracking the actual recordings are vastly inferior to SW. Heavily compressed and a pretty phasey sound (a lot of chorusing on the horns due to the multitracking). Abbey road (especially S1) has a much clearer sound than CTS.

So - overall - id plump for SW but i do like the massive horns (chorusy or not) in LOTR. Williams is a little more experienced and it shows

rising stars? in my eyes another composer named Jonny Williams. i work with him a lot at Abbey road. Just finished working on 24 with him and Sean Callery - with real orchestra - goodbye synths on 24 !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.