main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Starling's Catch (Part One: 12/19)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Fluff-Slayer, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    Title: Starling's Catch
    Genre: Action/Adventure; drama; romance.
    Characters: Primarily OCs.
    Notes: This story has been in the works for a while, and I debated furiously with myself about which era to set it in. We eventually ended up back here, on my home board. [face_laugh] Summary and other stuff to come shortly.

[b]Prologue[/b]

?Chin up, padawan,? Kadri chided gently. She finished the last-minute tidying of Eirlys?s braid and then, as an afterthought, rested her hand briefly upon her student?s thin shoulder. [i]//Don?t forget your role. There is no room for timidity?this is a celebration, and you are a much-anticipated guest. It is an honor that we were invited.//[/i] The fingers tweaked her ear teasingly. [i]//Got me?//[/i]

Eirlys nodded, though she was certain that she would never be able to muster up enough enthusiasm for this party. Kadri?s hand dropped back to her side, and Eirlys bemoaned the loss of the comforting pressure. Her heart fluttered in her ribcage; her shielding tightened on impulse. [i]No nervousness,[/i] she reminded herself resolutely. [i]Hold your head up. Breathe. [/i]

The hatch opened. A nudge of her absent mind spurred her feet into movement, and soon the reassuring closeness of their gruff, kind pilot and their ship was gone. The sound of its leaving echoed in her already-ringing ears.

[i]No nervousness. No nervousness. For Force?s sake, don?t be nervous, you idiot! [/i]

It?s a little late for that, said a consoling voice within her, and the padawan nearly stumbled forward to bury her face in her master?s shoulder. Sheer will kept her walking normally.

[i]Just breathe?there's absolutely nothing to worry about.[/i]

[b]Chapter One[/b]

Two princesses stood in the averse shade of a peasant farmer?s trees, clothed in their resplendent royal attire and awaiting their guests. Had they been commoners, they might have been tempted to fidget restlessly; they had, after all, stood in precisely the same spot for more than an hour, and the day?s heat was close to reaching its fiery zenith.

As it was, exquisite noble breeding prevented them from fidgeting (even in those impractical, over-heavy dresses). They were forced to content themselves with waving their pretty, lacy fans and sipping the semi-cool drinks that the servants brought.

?The Jedi [i]are[/i] coming, aren?t they?? asked Tarela, the younger sister, at last.

?So Father tells me,? said Eudocia genially. ?He?s so excited. Their reception will be quite a spectacle.?

?Mm. Perhaps we had better send a servant to search out flaming wreckage.?

?Oh, now, none of that. I?m sure they?ll turn up soon.?

?I?m not.?

?That?s enough, Tarela.?

The warning, while mild, was not to be taken idly. One had no choice to obey her elders?even the very annoying older-sister type ones. Tarela bit her tongue against a sharp reply and returned to winnowing herself sedately, allowing her thoughts to wander to the dashing Sargon Feliks, whose magnificent hands she would much rather hold than her abhorrent, useless fan.

Eventually it occurred to her that Eudocia was speaking.

?I?m sorry, what??

?I said, do you see what I see??

Tarela followed her sibling?s gaze and struggled to make sense of the shapes she spied. None of their folk had especially wonderful eyesight, due perhaps to their planet?s harsh sun. ?I see [i]something[/i].? She squinted for a moment longer, then shrugged. ?It could be them. I can?t tell.?

?I think it is,? said Eudocia. ?There?s a middle-aged woman and a small girl. The younger looks to be about your age, Tarrie. Perhaps you?ll have a new friend.?

[i]I sincerely doubt that,[/i] thought the other, but she did not say it.

Their company had arrived.

?Welcome, honored guests,? called Eudocia with enthusiasm. Her face had lit with a smile, Tarela noted with disgust?just like their late mother, her sister was every inch the animated, theatrics-relishing hostess. ?I hope your journey was smooth!?

?U

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Really interesting start, milady! I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Layren

3. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    This has a really nice medieval/fantasy feel to it.
    You do a great job setting up your story.

I don't trust that sneaky sister princess.

:D Nice work!

4. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    Why is it that the only people I trust in this story are the Jedi? Oh wait, :D that's because Fluff_Slayer is writing this! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.