main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Story wise: Do we really need a Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ray243, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Let's ask George's opinion. What do you think George?

"There's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story." George Lucas, ShoWest 2008

"I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..." George Lucas, Total Film Magazine 2008

Whatever George, bring on Episode VII [face_dancing]

2. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    This whole thread is looking a gift horse in the mouth. Do you think there shouldn't have been any more films in this universe after The Great Train Robbery?

3. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Well it be good to see on the bring screen what happens in the books.

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The Three-act structure is replete in STAR WARS. It is found within each Episode and each Trilogy. Without the third Trilogy, the Sequel Trilogy, the structure is incomplete. Therefore, the saga would be incomplete without its Third Act (Resolution). Lucas knew this, even when he said there would be no more. Whether "we need it" or not is moot. Clearly the story is incomplete.

Act I = Setup
    ACT II = Confrontation (Luke vs. Vader) "I am your Father" moment
    ACT III = Resolution/Payoff

[​IMG]

One Saga, Three Trilogies, Nine Episodes, 27 Acts in all. TPTB could replicate this model in the distant past. A Prequel Saga that could be tied in. Nine more films and then another Sequel Saga, making the total Episodes 27 (+ Standalones). Get to work Lucasfilm/Disney. I think they'll get their $4.05 Billion worth. What a bargain, in fact.

starocean90 likes this.
  5. DantooineOrBust

DantooineOrBust Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    Personally, this movie is less about the redemption of Annakin, or the journey of the Skywalkers, as it is about the redemption of Star Wars. I'm 42, and like most others SW fans on the planet of my age, I had an image of what the PT would look and feel like. Now I know Lucas is the 'creator' and it was his vision not mine, but he wiffed in every sense of the word. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe every soul working creatively on this movie (TFA) in particular is determined to make an action/adventure on par with any of the OT. I could care less if it fits everything into some 9 story arc. Lets face it, it is a space soap opera and it will never stop at 9. Ever. I would also not doubt if there were plans for a full 1-6 reboot after this arc is done.

6. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    I agree the series won't stop at 9. But if there ever is a reboot, I'm DONE!

EviL_eLF likes this.
  7. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm on board with never ending Star Wars and spin off films. But the idea of a Star Wars reboot makes my want to scream . . .

8. DantooineOrBust

DantooineOrBust Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    I know Hollywood enough to know they cannot resist the temptation of the reboot. It is just easy money. I think the only way it does not happen is if it was contractually spelled out that 1-6 could not be remade when he sold to Disney. And I know Lucas well enough to know, he probably did stipulate that.

9. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I know it will be good to have films of each character leading up to three movies as to the question of needing another trilogy yes indeed the novels are great but fans want to see on the big screen.

10. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    This.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We need SW like Ben Affleck needs acting lessons.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Do we need more films, no. They still have potential to be interesting, though. :)

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm curious as to how the sequel trilogy will re-contextualize the saga after it becomes a full nine episode arc. With just the OT, it was "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker." With the PT added onto it, it became "The Tragedy of Darth Vader." I wonder what the ST will turn it into.

14. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    This quote goes to the heart of the issue - it's a quote from a recent article about the plot:

Do you want to accept this or not?

If you don't want to accept this you're going to watch The Force Awakens and think " fun film, cool episode, great action, JJ did a great job updating the franchise, but I never bought into the idea of the Empire still being a threat to the good guys. Sorry, I enjoyed the story but I didn't believe the premise."

Or you can go:

"Okay, the Empire is back, fair enough. It's reasonable to assume some general or other Imperial elements escaped the fall of the Empire. Yeah, I can go with that."

Most fans will go with the second reaction because they want to see new Star Wars, in particular, Star Wars elements that remind them of the original trilogy. This is why the teaser trailer shows little that seems genuinely fresh. It's a stretch to imagine the alliance/New Republic still using 30 year old X-Wing Fighters. Realistically speaking (and accepting this is a made-up movie!), the X-Wings should have some major upgrade. I doubt they'd look the same.

If ep 7 has the same technology as episodes 4,5,6 I don't think they've exploited the 30 years time gap.

15. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I doubt a reboot/remake would ever happen with a new trilogy coming out and several spin offs.

16. Luke the Oneironaut

Luke the Oneironaut Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    I would have preferred no prequels, complete silence then a 2013 reboot.

For sequels, I would have preferred a nice 100-300 year buffer after Return of the Jedi. I'm hopeful they can make this new one work, though.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A trilogy set hundreds of years later would be awesome. Hope that Episode 9 or if they go to Episode 12 (being set a generation later I assume) will not be the end.

18. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I don't think a remake would work for Star Wars, it's too culturally significant...too engrained in pop culture. The only way they could do a reboot is to set it in a different time period and build from that.

Echo Base and Artoo-Dion like this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

This is perfect

We don't need another Saga but it could be interesting and I hope it is.

20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    We need an Act III to finish the story/saga.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

But the EU was awful. Sorry, I had to say it.

I liked TCW, but I was DONE with that era. Not nearly as much fun as Empire vs. rebels, IMO.

New Star Wars films please.

22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The X-wings aren't 30 years old... there are significant differences from the T-65 seen in the OT... that being said... you forget that Star Wars Tech advances at only 1% the rate WE advance, as they long ago hit a technological plateau and actual advancement is a rarity in the Star Wars universe now and has been for over 1,000 years. You only see design changes in how the tech is presented, not huge advancements on that tech.

23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    That still wouldn't be a reboot then either, it would just be a new story set in another time period.

A reboot would replay the adventures of Luke Skywalker. Anything OTHER than that cannot be called a reboot.

24. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    The new Disney movies will definitely be about all the new characters. I may see the disney saga maybe 20 years after all the dust has settled, im glad George is not affiliated with the Disney star wars movies.

25. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

The whole tech stagnation is possibly one the stupidest ideas the franchise came up with. It's creatively backwards because writers and artists are all trying to recreate the OT throughout the different time period. If the PT wasn't produced, we would end up with even less original art design in the EU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.