main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

sw colector confessions; what's your worst secret?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by DAKAI_SERAKI, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BushiFox

BushiFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2002
    I don't think thats an accurate description. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone selling vintage star wars toys for the same price they paid for them. A scalper is a person that is selling something that is currently available in the retail market for above retail prices.

But, the way I see it, its supply and demand. If people are silly enough to pay scalper prices, I mean, it keeps the economy pumped up I reckon.

2. Orange_Sith

Orange_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2002
    i dont think so, scalpers arent even part of the economy, they are evil, just like brain.......

3. DAKAI_SERAKI

DAKAI_SERAKI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    I'm gonna kill brian one day lol

4. Clone_Commander_

Clone_Commander_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    We should all go to a store that a scalper owns and bend all the cards and packages.Teach them a lesson,then we could...

5. Droid_Runner

Droid_Runner Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    C_C, I bought some bent-card figures for a sweet, low price.... so bend (cards) at will!

Store I go to has good prices on older stuff, but recent AOTC items are double or triple what Walmart or TRU is selling at.... :confused:

6. _HothWampa_

_HothWampa_ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    ya i saw scalpers at the walmart buying all the action figures the other day and i ripped off some stickers on the count dooku, zam 12 inch figures... and then felt bad for the people that actually like to collect them MIB and MOC... so i won't do that again.. i promise :)

7. Droid_Runner

Droid_Runner Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    On second thought, don't bend cards, etc. -- just bend a scalper's ear/face instead! (heh,heh - just kiddin').

8. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Ohhhhhhh thats a scalper. WHY ARE THEY SO MEAN IT'S NOT FAIR! I say WOE BEGONE TO ALL SCAPLERS WHO CROSS MY PATH!

9. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I was perusing Toys R Us and spotted a Slave Princess Leia 12 inch figure. It was a very beautiful figure. But, I was still a little hesitant to buy it. I set it down and thought about it some more. Of course, I decided to buy it, but when I went back to get it....IT WAS GONE. Stupid me.

My shameful secret is....I gave a scalper $30 for the figure when I visited the mall where his kiosk is. Hell, it was probably the very same figure I put back on the TRU shelf weeks earlier.

This secret stuck with me for a long time. I carried the guilt. I finally decided to get rid of the figure. I gave it to my gf for x-mas last year. She loved it! She wants me to buy her the Zam Wessel 12-inch, now. WHAT HAVE I DONE????

10. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    I went to Toys R Us one day and found the 12inch Slave Leia with her top pulled up around her neck. [face_shocked] Now if it arrived that way or if some one opened the box and did I will never know.

11. Wally_Islam

Wally_Islam Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2002
    I returned almost all of my first night EP 2 figures (all of them except for Dooku, R2 and Yoda) about four months later lol

12. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    ^ I returned some I had duplicates of this month... only got $4.99 for them when I paid full price back in April. :(

13. Emperor_Joe

Aug 7, 2002
  14. Emperor_Joe

Aug 7, 2002
    Hello? Is any one there?

15. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Working at Target has, so far, given me no extra perks. I wanted some AOTC displays, but there are too many fans who work overnight and they grabbed them.

Also, it's a Target policy that we are not allowed to look through boxes in the back room for certain toys. In fact, at my stupid Target, we have people in our back room doing all the work now so we're not even allowed in some parts of the back room.

But if you're in Seattle, and somehow come upon a crappy little newly-painted Target in the "not so great" area, come on by and I'll see what I can do. Just ask for the Star Wars fan. They all know who that is. :D

JediFarfy

PS--If girls who don't like Star Wars can like guys who do like Star Wars, why can't guys who don't like Star Wars like girls that do like Star Wars?

Confusing, it is.

16. StarFett

StarFett Jedi Master star 2

May 28, 2002
    Lets see... I once hid my 12" Jango toy from my dad after my firend gave it to me as a gift. I'm still not sure why but I didn't want to talk to my dad about it becuase I knew he'd ask.
    Considering I hid it by setting it on top of the garbage can (that doubles as a table) then stacking papers on top it was not that hard to spot it and I was eventually asked.

Not exactly a collectors thing so muc has a toy/Jango craze thing but-
    When I went to get my nose surgery I brought along my Boba Fett graphic novel (the one with Barcooda) and a, at the time new, Jango Fett toy (the one with the jet pack that makes sounds). Once I woke up from the surgery I imediatly asked for my Jango Fett toy then procceeded to hit the button that made the sounds. Every once and a while I'd aim it at one of the nurses when it made a blaster sound.
    Was partially anoyed becuase they wouldn't let me get up. Not to mention I was sick of being at the hospital and wanted to go home.
    By the way I'm 19 so you can see how that must have looked for a nineteen year old to be playing with a toy.

Ah, toy fun!

17. Emperor_Joe

Aug 7, 2002
    Intersesting. Jedi Fary what happens when you come as a consumer and ask to see in the back? I supose so, Star Fett I suapose so.

18. Emperor_Joe

Aug 7, 2002
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

19. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    When I worked at TRU I would purposely bend cards of figures I knew scaplers would be after. :D

20. Emperor_Joe

Aug 7, 2002
    That was some clever there Riibu.

21. Emperor_Joe

Aug 7, 2002
    I mean that was some clever thinking there Riibu.

22. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    My deep, dark secret? I hid my TPM stuff from my sister for about a year. I would only take them out when she wasn't home or when she was asleep. Whenever I bought anything, I rushed home to hide it before she got home from work.

I shouldn't have been ashamed; I bought most of my stuff at half price! :D

23. Blix

Blix Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    I don't really have a secret. Most of my star wars figures are in a storage box at the moment since there isn't much space in my room to put them.

24. Emperor_Joe

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay then.

25. BushiFox

BushiFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2002
    OK. Tell me what a bad person I am. I worked at Toys R Us over this past holiday season part time to get a little extra spending cash. (I ended up spending chunks of my paycheck there, but, thats beside the point.) (***looks at his padme and vader unleashed and sighs***) Anyway. We got a shipment of Marvel Legends figures in, which, for those that have any interest in comic books, these are the most awesome action figures ever made. Ever. I mean, to scale hulk, thing, spiderman with 30 points of articulation. You can't go wrong. Anyway. I saw this dr. doom they had, and thought it looked cool, so I picked it up. This one had a robot face, and, as I was soon to find out was a variant. So, I paid 7 bucks for it, get home, look it up on Ebay and see it going for 30 bucks! I couldn't help myself. I immediately put it up for auction and it sold for like 38 dollars. The money was too much of a draw, and I rationalized it as it would pay for most of the toys I had already bought up to that point at TRU.

I'm evil. I couldn't help it. I did since then buy the regular dr. doom without the doombot face, and he sits on my hall of villains.

(Ok. Its not as bad as whoever that person was that took the box of 30 silver r2d2's and sold them for 600 dollars!!!!) (but, I still feel pangs of remorse for becoming a scalper.) *sigh*.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.