main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA SW Unity/Chanel's b-day Celebration

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Tenken, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Hey everyone,
    If this is to go down then we have to start getting moving on this now. We need a venue, time and day (preferable on Feb 7th) and other logistical things I have not accounted for. I think we need to met up live at some point and really hammer out these details. Maybe even next weekend. Council members please check in and let's get cracking on this ground assualt.

2. Jedi_Droideka

Jedi_Droideka Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2003
    I can help if you guys need the extra help.

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I was going to talk to you about this, Ming. Eva said there's a place by PacBell Park. It's in an office building, and it's the whole 2nd floor. I believe she said it can hold up to 400 people. However, there's no furniture. We'd have to bring tables and chairs. I was thinking of borrowing some from my church. I think we should go down there to take a look at it. If anyone else has ideas for locations, please post ASAP!

4. Jedi_Droideka

Dec 8, 2003
    I can also bring Chiars if we need them.

5. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    wow... 400 people? That would mean then this event would also need to be cattered, which would typically prob be more expensive along with renting out the property than renting out a resturant facility. There's this place called New Delhi not too far away from the Metreon the Robery knows the management of. We scouted it a couple weeks ago and it looked REALLY nice. I think however they could only have about 50 people if I remember. Also we need fun ideas and activities. Ideas from everyone are welcome and I think the Council will have full reign to go through all of them.

6. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I believe the place itself would be free, and we'd just supply the food, chairs, decorations, etc.

7. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Free is good :)

8. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    what about potluck? everyone bring a dish, a dish large enough to feed 4-6 people. The singles and those working tight hours can stop by a supermarket or deli or Col Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco bell, etc., and bring an order. Maybe deli sandwiches? potluck is the best way out. Those on a tight budget can bring the chips or rolls. Someone can bring several cans of tuna. a jar or two of mayo. and a bowl and spoon/fork, and make tuna salad sandwiches. a couple boxes of mac/cheese? a few bottles of soda pop, paper plates/cups. plastic ware. Catering is so expensive, and with all of this coming after the holiday expenses, Chanel would not want you folks to go broke. It's the gathering of everyone, and sharing the love and friendship that SW has brought us all together.

9. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I considered that... Thanks for your council Mac. :) That would definetly cut down on cost though it wouldn't be as fancy... However, this is about community, so frag fancy!

For it is now that we have come to it: for all of our clubs and especially ours now. To celebrate honor, fellowship, and friendship of all us. Showing that we ARE TRULY a Force to be reckoned with in this world!
    Not for us alone... not for two or three clubs... BUT for every club in our region of space and even beyond, who has been devoted to the cause of Star Wars and that Chanel did love dearly... To stand together! FOR UNITY! FOR THE LIVING FORCE THAT BINDS US ALL! FOR CHANEL!!!!!!!
    (Why do I feel like I should be on a taun taun with a drawn ignited lightsaber about to go in a head to head charge against something? ?[face_plain] )

A pot luck would be cool since we could all par take in the things everyone would bring in contribute together which is symbolic. What does the Council think? It would take the pressure off us to organize food and everything and we could ask for a small cover charge for decorations, music, prizes, and other miscellanous expenses... I could make my mashed taters again... I think people like that since it was the only thing finished off the SFFF Christmas party. Though I never had too cook for 400 before... lol.

10. Jazmachine

Jazmachine Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 24, 2003
    what if each club that is planning on attending bring some sort of dishes to the Celebration. For instace, say the 501st GGG brings Italian food and each member from that club brings a different dish like spagetti, ravioli's, ect. And other clubs would bring a different type of food like BBQ, mexican, chinese, appetizers, and so on.

11. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I like that idea... this is great, keep the ideas coming guys!

12. Jedi_Droideka

Dec 8, 2003
    Well we could also have a Prayer for Chanel or a Forceful Prayer I suggest this as a moment of Silence to reconize Chanel and to thank her.

13. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I like the potluck idea. We could also have a sort of "roast" for Chanel, with people coming up and saying their favorite memories of her. I know several DJ's who can spin and have lighting equipment, too.

14. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Cool Matt let us know about the DJ and lighting. Maybe we can start sending out the news to the other clubs by the end this week.

A moment of silence is fine idea. Thing is I don't pray... It's just not my thing and I rather not get into why, maybe some other time... A roast would be cool as long as it's tasteful, I'm sure Qui Gon John will want to cut up some new material specialized for the Star Wars contingent...lol

15. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    One of our members hosts a radio show in Davis and a newer member works for Channel 3, maybe they could get together and work on the publicity and DJ-ing of this event with your people. I am up for cooking or bringing anything you might need. If my chickens are laying again at that time (they decided to take the winter off) I will bring my infamous deviled (or would it be Rebelled) eggs. :D

16. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I'm along the same boat as Ming on the moment of silence bit. But like him I don't pray, because of my perticular Buddhist folowings.

Although This is a great time to honor and cherish the memory of Chanel, let's not forget it's main goal is to bring many of the other clubs together. So activities should be focused on the theme of Unity or Unification.

So let's get back to the main stuff. Party Time :D

So far we have only scouted one location, and that is the New Delhi Restaurant on Ellis. I don't know the manager and owner as well as it sounds but they are pretty good people. It is a large dining area, and can actually hold about 100 people, plus has a full bar. Qui Gon John and I will be most happy about that. [face_mischief]

It's a cool place, but I want input from other council members about the location. And alternately, unless we have the spce that Matt was talking about, any public place and their accomadations must be taken into consideration.

So far, the plan is to have the celebration on Saturday, Feb 7th. I got no real problem with that. I sorta had something on my own, but that's not a big deal if I miss it. But if we have it in a public venue, be aware that it would be a Saturday night and we have to make sure that they can accomadate us comfortably -- especially for costume changes if needed. :D

Of the employees at New Delhi mentioned that Saturday nights with them at the beginning of January will probably be slow. They can set us up with a buffet which works out to about $10 per person. Add Tax and probably tip, that workd out to $15. They are closed on Sundays, but will open for functions, so we would have the run of the place to ourselves.

However, that is only one place that we've scouted. I want to look at other places. They should be easily accessible by public and private transportation.

The alternative, which is a potluck is great. But we still need a venue, and I doubt a restaurant will let us have a potluck there.

So Erick, Matt, and Ming, we need to get together and hash out details and plans. We are indeed getting close to the wire. But I look at it this way, I grew up a SF Giants fan and victories are never easy. ;)

And I'm rambling on.

harlock415 -- AIM and Yahoo IM

17. Jedi_Droideka

Dec 8, 2003
    Understood and same here just thought it would be nice lol.

18. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    A moment of silence is very appropriate. For those who pray, they can say their silent prayer. For those who do not pray, the silence is a moment of personal honor of her life with your own silent chant or just warm thoughts of love for her limited time with us on earth.

potluck can be food groups from the FFs or inidividual dishes for those ethnically diverse groups. Not everyone can afford to make whole casseroles or whatever, but whatever each person/group/FF brings, it is the coming together and partaking together as family, ohana. That is a Hawaiian potluck, a sharing of all, and for Chanel's roots, it would be very appropriate from a bowl of peanuts to a fancy casserole or meat dish. Ohana means family; family means no one is left behind or forgotten.

19. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Okay I'm back, so when can we possibly check out this place near PacBell Park? I'm liking this place that can have up to 400 people... and having a community pot luck thing. When can we scramble to investigate this prospect because we should be moving on this.

20. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    If we have finished our fanfilm by the time this event happens (highly unlikely but who knows) I would say let's have a screening. If not we can always show the SW movies if we have access to a TV or projector unit for DVD's.

21. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    That may be very doable actually... Hey Robert, any chance we can snag Sara's projector for a little while? Especially since the LOTR contigent will be honorary guest for this event I should think. Oh and the whole promotional thing via radio or even TV would be awesome Bridget! This colaborative effort is gonna rock! Chanel will be so proud... :)

OK everyone: people you know, contacts you have, friends who are in for this, favors that can be asked, oaths you have taken... Get them now... fulfill them now! Let's give Celebration 3 a run for it's credits!

Council, are we free to met up sometime this weekend so we can nail down some details?

22. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    ^ Yeah, im down to meet up. Where? When?

23. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Messages have been sent to my advertising people for them to keep an eye on this thread and offer any advice or help they can. Webmaster LDV says he will advertise on the SVRF site as well. Keep planning, we're right behind you!!

24. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    What Tionne just said. I would be more than happy and honored to place some advertisements for you on the SVRF. It gets alot more hits per day.

25. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    I used to live in Sacto, down by Meadowview near the old Highway Patrol Academy. That was a long, long time ago..... :)

good luck on your potluck. Know I am with you all in spirit. unless someone wins a lotto and gets me a ride on the next passing speeder. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.