main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO SW Weekly Debate Thread!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by MiracleMets22, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiracleMets22

MiracleMets22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    Hey everyone,
    I had the idea to do this, and thought it would be cool. I know that the general forums have a deluge of SW topics, but I thought it would be neat to have a debate topic strictly SW of our own on our boards.

Here are the rules:

1 official topic per week- Either I will declare the topic or if there is a topic that others wish to discuss you can submit your topic to me by private message (to keep the thread as little as confusing as possible! :) ) Also....no DVD change debates as per request

The week's topic will start on Sunday and end on Saturday night.

Standard TOS rules are in place and I yield power for all that sort of stuff to our esteemed leaders on their good judgment

This thread will carry week to week i.e. no newly created thread each week

Be nice/enjoy the topic (If there is anything else, Dajuan or VoijaRisa can add or modify what I have here)

This week's topic shall run from now to next Sunday (this shall be the only one to run longer)

This Week's Topic: "Midi-Chlorians: Good, Bad or Dumb idea?"

2. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Good.

Well, that was easy. See you next week.

3. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Bad idea.

You weren't kidding, Tim. That was easy.

4. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Bad.

There was no reason for it and only served to destroy much of the wonderful mythology built up in the Star Wars universe.

5. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Terrible idea. No longer is the Force a "mystical energy field that surrounds us and binds us," now it's the equivalant of Spider-Man's superpowers. You'll notice that by AOTC, the concept of Midichlorians dropped completly off of the map...

6. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    I thought it was interesting but not well thought out. I read the Midichlorian Study on the main page a long time ago, but it didn't really clear things up for me.

I like that Anakin's father is basically the force itself. I DON'T like that this would imply that Luke is "lesser" in the force...genetics...mingling with lesser blood. I, myself, would like to believe that Luke is just as strong as Vader if not stronger (which is VERY debateable...so I'm expecting to get reemed for that). It just doesn't work out quite like I expected it would.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Bad idea, they really didn't explain much and took away from the mystique. The force is no longer an enegry field, but DNA. Zzzzzzzz

Lucas didn't even bring it up in the second movie. Yet another reason TPM stinks.

8. MiracleMets22

MiracleMets22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    Hmmm maybe a more controversial topic next time? I'm sure at some point it was, but looking at reaction to it here it doesn't seem like many have strong feelings beyond not liking it or liking it. If anyone was wondering (probably not) I thought it was pretty stupid. It totally went against things talked about in other EU series, especially the Jedi Academy trilogy with the Force Aura paddle sensor and Luke finding the "node" in the brain that produces the physical response. It was the unconscious reaction of latent force powers. THAT was much better....in that case, Lucas was an idiot...he should have used the Jedi Academy trilogy ideas.

9. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Well, in one of the NJO books (Can't remember which one, I'll find out when I get home) they are trying to find the Jedi, and they have sensors and such. I think the midichlorian count had something to do with that... It's kind of vague in my memory. Have to do more research.

Anyways, the Midi-Chlorian count never really interested me. I don't have an opinion one way or the other. Considering the Force is in everything... That's what Yoda said. ;) Why do we need to measure how much MidiChlorians something has? It's just kind of boring, I have to agree with Dajuan more about this subject.

TPM was a great movie, don't bash it so much! The only bad stuff was the gungans.

10. Sith-Kazar

Sith-Kazar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I liked them. I think you guys are getting confused. The midi-Chlorians are not what creates the force (at least that's my understanding) but an indicator of force potential. For instance, a person might have a genetic defect that is known for causing blood clots, it doesn't mean that the person has blood clots just that they have a higher liklyhood to.

11. Master_Nawibo_Ibonek

Master_Nawibo_Ibonek Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2004
    Not good or bad.
    I thought it was interesting but really had no effect on me except to know that Anakin had more than Yoda.

12. Maygin

Maygin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    I must admit, I generally liked the idea that we could measure an individuals Force strength. It made for a lot of interesting fan-fics. However I'd also have to agree that it does take away from mysticism that the force is an independent living thing... that it is in all things, but still is independent in that it thinks independently, guides, and loves. I don't know... am I way off here to anyone else?

I guess I like the idea that despite having a lesser midichlorian count than a Sith so to speak, a Jedi could still be more powerful in the Force because the Force doesn't simply come when called, it loves the good in things and will be there to help protect that good. [face_tired] ...right right, point is... I don't even know what my point is. GUNGANS SUCK!! :D

13. jedi-laurel

jedi-laurel Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2004
    I hated the whole midichlorian thing and how it led to the idea of Anikin then being a product of immaculate conception.
    BTW I liked the gungans. (I just couldn't stand Jake Lloyd)

14. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I must be weird for liking the midichlorian thing.

15. Master_Nawibo_Ibonek

Oct 23, 2004
    Medichlorians are independent living creatures they just choose who to inhabit and be symbants with.

16. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
    It really only served to show us that Anakin has the potential to be more powerful than any other Jedi, even Yoda.

It really is pointless, unless they mention something about it in ROTS concerning Palpatine or something.

17. Master_Nawibo_Ibonek

Oct 23, 2004
    I definitely agree as earlier mentioned.

18. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I understood it to be that they are in all living things, some people/aliens just have more than others.

Is there anyplace where it specifically said they choose who to inhabit themselves?

19. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    so what's the question for this week?

20. Maygin

Maygin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    Midichlorians... good, bad, downright scruff-lookin? What are your thoughts?

21. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah Bob, what's the new debate?

22. Master_Nawibo_Ibonek

Oct 23, 2004
    I agree a new debate.

23. Jengospride

Jengospride Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah...I'm not a big fan of the Midi-Chlorian theory. Like a lot of things about TPM it dumbs done the mystisym of the Force. One of the things I think is that it was an attempt at creating a scientific explanation to the force.

If you think about it, you could almost see that he was trying to make a relationship between the SW Universe and ours - is just me, or does the Midi-Chlorian theory kind of resemble mitochondria.

DO NOT get me started on the "immaculate conception" of Anakin!

Sorry, it was just dumb, dumb, dumb...And just like other things that he's done in both the prequels, special editions, and DVD editions it shoots holes in the work done by expanded universe authors.

24. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I'm not a big fan of the EU authors anyway so I can't say I care if GL shoots them full of holes. But when he puts holes in the OT and devalues the entire system of mythology that Star Wars is.... well.... then I have a problem. Especially when he used to claim the trilogy was all a retelling of the Heroic Cycle.

25. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    personally, I like the idea of Anakin's immaculate conception. I think it makes him seem even more important/powerful.

like Jon said though, I don't really care for much of the EU so I don't care that George ruined their stories. the only EU I like is the Thrawn trilogy. granted, AotC and the Caminoans kind of mess up the third book in that series, but that's not that big of a deal to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.