main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Taking my first step into a much larger world.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Sithman, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Before I go any further, let me just say that I know I've been a total loser and I haven't attended a Chicago Force event in like 1,000 generations (or was it 1,000 years, George?). I apologize. It's awful. I miss you guys and I still read these boards as often as possible, even if I don't post much. I hope everyone is doing fabulously. :)

Okay, on to business:

Several months ago, just after graduating college in December 2007, I applied to join the Peace Corps. My reasons for doing so would take a few paragraphs to explain, so I won't cover that in this initial post.

Anyways, the past several months have been spent filling out government forms, acquiring my passport, writing application essays, gathering letters of recommendation, scheduling doctor appointments, getting immunized (I fainted flat out on the doctor's table when they drew blood), and generally slogging through the lengthy Peace Corps application process. Some weeks were spent just waiting for a phone call or a letter in the mail from the Peace Corps. I called those times the "doldrums" (look it up in your Book of Nautical Terms). But then there were some days when the winds of change blew with particular force and a dozen things concerning my application would happen at once.

About two weeks ago, the the phone rang. It was the Peace Corps. They were calling to inform me that I had been accepted as a Peace Corps volunteer to serve in the Republic of South Africa. More shockingly, they told me that I would be departing on --get this-- July 15th! So, in exactly one month I'll hop on a plane to South Africa where I'll live for 2 years and 3 months. Peace Corps volunteers don't receive "leave" like military servicemen, so I'll be gone for the entire 27 months. I'll be back on September 11, 2010.

I'll be primarily working with the public school system in South Africa, which is currently undergoing a major revamp to educate the black community, which, of course, due to apartheid, did not receive the same quality of education (if any) that the white population had access to for many years. I'll also be working with the government and NGOs to promote HIV/AIDS awareness for obvious reasons.

I'll be living one of the rural impoverished areas of South Africa--not one of the modern cities like Johannesburg or Pretoria or Cape Town. I won't have internet access. I most likely won't even have access to electricity on a regular basis. However, there is good ol' snail mail. The South Africa postal service, however, especially in the rural area, is atrocious. Letters will take 6 - 9 weeks to arrive. But if you all want to write me ever (you know, maybe to tell me whether or not the new Clone Wars movie sucks), let me know and we'll work it out.

Anyways, I'm going to try my friggin' darndest to make it out to the BBQ on July 12, but considering how close that is to my departure date, there's no guarantee. :(

Sithy

kevinmerkelz@gmail.com
    847-641-1138

(The above contact info is only good for the next month!)

2. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Good for you man. If I could go back to when I graduated, I would do the Peace Corps.

Jeez though 27 months? You are going to toatally miss the the special editions of the prequels when George needs to buy a new racecar. Then again, you may be way ahead by leaving the country.

If I dont see ya before then, Have a great time in Africa. If ya got internet access, you gotta take pics.

Congrats man.

3. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    That is unbelievably awesome, man!=D=

My wife and I have actually been researching teaching abroad recently. I actually read through the Peace Corps website and testimonials. You're in for 2 years that will probably be the single most rewarding AND difficult thing you'll ever do! I know we've only had a handful of conversations in the years we've known each other, but let me say that I am indeed proud to know you, man! What you'll be working for and what you'll accomplish in the end is far more than most of the people in our lives will ever even attempt, so bravo Kevin! Make friends, work hard, LIVE humble, and bring back some stories to share! I wish you safe journeys, rewards from your labors, and many happy memories, Kev!

Dream Big, Live Small, Change the world...one person at a time!

4. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Way to go, Sithy! Go out and change the world. Hope you can make it to the picnic, but it's understandable if you can't.

Phil

5. Rogue4809

Rogue4809 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2003
    Kevin, I'm so proud of you!

I cannot think of anything more exciting and terrifying at the same time.

Good luck and have fun. God's speed.

-Laura

6. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Simply FANTASTIC!

So, send us (post) the links when you start
    the STAR WARS club in your new location:)

7. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Good luck and godspeed, our young apprentice. Spread the good word of Chicago Force.

8. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    QFT.

It's probably been a couple years since we last talked via this board, Sithy, but this is an extremely admirable act on your part (and the type of thing that is much needed in today's world). Congratulations, and best of luck. =D=

9. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Sithy, this is so incredible and amazing. I think it's courageous that you've made this choice and are following through on it. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and know you'll absolutely make a difference over there.

10. doc4converse

doc4converse Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    You are truly inspirational! Congratulations!

We will definitely need an addresss to send you CARE Packages!

:cool: [face_peace]

11. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Everyone: Thanks so much for the kind words. It's encouraging to hear them from you guys. :) Also, I just learned that I'm actually flying out on July 12th now, so I'll definitely be unable to attend the BBQ! :(

Now the really daunting quandary: Do I pack my Jar Jar Binks mask and give it to my host community as a gift? :p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    No JarJar mask, remember you're a member of the PEACE Corps.
    Seriously, congrats. I'm proud of what you're doing.

(and to think that when we first met you, you were just a little weirdo hiding in the bushes.)

MTFBWY

13. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I want a pic of some of the locals with CF shirts. I do have extras laying around.

14. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Good luck, Sithy, and take care of yourself!

Matt

15. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Best of luck Sithman...
    Enjoy your stay...
    work hard...
    learn lots...
    and
    come back!

And may the Force Be With You...
    Always...