main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TECH] Mods Online Link

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Matrix, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "But we really don't have time for that, do we? In an emergency, someone could PM all of the mods that they want but as i clearly stated, its more than likely that the one you randomly pick to PM isn't online."

Yeah, we really can't waste the 10 seconds (20 on dial-up) that it'd take to click a profile to see if they're currently online or not. This is a matter of life or death! The fate of the world depends on saving 10 seconds while PMing a moderator about something on a Star Wars message board!

2. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Wow...

So is it like, a rule for all ex-mods to belittle the very system they used to uphold and defend, not to mention users who want to do their part to help out that same system?

At least Smuggler is looking for a way to help out the community, for which he should be commended.

3. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    Well Jeff, the user that cant waste the 20 seconds must think that they have to be the first person to PM the mod about the issue, or itll be unneccisary

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm not belittling the system, I'm belittling those who claim to want to help, yet can't waste 10 or 20 seconds to see if someone's a mod, or if they're online.

A mods online link would be nice, but we can't exactly do anything about it without zerosleep. We can all get along while holding hands and singing combayah, but it won't help features get added any quicker.

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Yeah, we really can't waste the 10 seconds (20 on dial-up) that it'd take to click a profile to see if they're currently online or not. This is a matter of life or death! The fate of the world depends on saving 10 seconds while PMing a moderator about something on a Star Wars message board!

Would you prefer that it be a Matrix message board, or better yet, a Lord of the Rings one?

You've complained about issues as much as anyone else has , i'm sure. Now come on, in an emergency, its better to get the thread to a mod as fast as possible. Not to beat anyone, just for the good of the forum.

If we even had this feature earlier, i wouldn't have stopped PMing mods about threads in these situations.

I'm not belittling the system, I'm belittling those who claim to want to help, yet can't waste 10 or 20 seconds to see if someone's a mod, or if they're online.

I'm sorry if didn't pass your examination.

A mods online link would be nice, but we can't exactly do anything about it without zerosleep. We can all get along while holding hands and singing combayah, but it won't help features get added any quicker.

Well, that's the word around the campfire, isn't it? But in case you didn't notice, we're in a debate here.

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I set up a great system in the 3SA which everyone said was helpful and they used it when we weren't around. All that has happened since then is the thread went unsticky. So what I'll do is make it sticky for a longer duration and have it added to the header. That list is ALL mods who can help in the 3SA when no 3SA mods are online, which is even rare since we've gone to 6 3SA mods. There are a lot of mods who can help, lots. And it's EXTREMELY rare that ALL of them are offline. You've got a link to their profile, an alphasort to tell you if they're online, and a link directly to set up a PM to them. It can't get any easier than that. So let me redo the thread and we should be okay.

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    So is it like, a rule for all ex-mods to belittle the very system they used to uphold and defend, not to mention users who want to do their part to help out that same system?

At least Smuggler is looking for a way to help out the community, for which he should be commended.

Yes, at least SoME is trying to suggest ways of improving things. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be allowed to point out the obvious flaws that exist in said ideas.

And as a by-the-way, back before I first became a mod even the links that currently exist in the headers weren't there. Yet even then myself and numerous others could get off PMs to at least 5 separate mods who had been online recently before even two posts had been made in troll threads.

So, is it something that would be useful and appreciated? Yes and yes again.

Is it something that is absolutely required as soon as inhumanly possible? No.

Is it something that any JC mod or admin can do something directly about? Nope.

Is it something that the JC mods, along with IGN, VN and Gameshark mods have all been asking zerosleep for over the past 6 months? Yep.

8. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    And as a by-the-way, back before I first became a mod even the links that currently exist in the headers weren't there. Yet even then myself and numerous others could get off PMs to at least 5 separate mods who had been online recently before even two posts had been made in troll threads.

Well yeah, except 3SA mods have said over and over again how much more frequent troll attacks have been in the past few months, compared to back in the day.

And this is a way of improving the system from as it existed before. Just because something was one way before doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be improved upon. Looks like Sape is taking some good steps in that direction.

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    And this is a way of improving the system from as it existed before. Just because something was one way before doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be improved upon.

Not saying that it shouldn't, but just that things that are out of the control of anyone here shouldn't be expected to occur on any time-frame that we'd like.

Well yeah, except 3SA mods have said over and over again how much more frequent troll attacks have been in the past few months, compared to back in the day.

All due respect to all of them, but with the exception of dehrian who hardly left the movie forums, none of them were around during some of the biggest troll attacks on the JC and JCC especially, which would make what currently happens in 3SA pale in comparison in relation to both the sheer numbers and the disgusting content therein.

10. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Nice idea though I brought this up about six months ago

anyways, I think just having a link in the header to the users online list is a good idea. At least it can help make things go faster and you don't have to hop through two boards to get there. If you want to know whose a mod or not, then hop through the profiles, ten to one you'll discover about five - six mods on each of their wuls memorize those people that way when you go searching through the users online list you'll know who to click on.

11. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Here's my idea:

You make a page in the header called "Moderators".

You list all of the mods on that page with the little "Online?" question.

Then you can go through the list looking for who's online.

Slow, but effective.

12. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    well not a bad idea, how about this, keep a direct link to an updated mods and admin page in the header of every board, and for the page list every mod, and have the page directly linked to the users online board. That way the user knows which user to click on I think thats fair

13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    I guess that Sape already implemented his idea in 3SA.

This thread is exactly what I was talking about.

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Acatully, I implemented that thread at least a month ago. I revised it today to remove the html and made the sticky last longer. I also submitted a request to get the thread placed in the header.

15. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Thank you Sapient its much appreciated :)

16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Acatully, I implemented that thread at least a month ago. I revised it today to remove the html and made the sticky last longer. I also submitted a request to get the thread placed in the header.

Oops. My wording was a bit misleading. I meant that you had already thought of it and used it too.

What we need is something like that in the header.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    well not a bad idea, how about this, keep a direct link to an updated mods and admin page in the header of every board, and for the page list every mod, and have the page directly linked to the users online board. That way the user knows which user to click on I think thats fair

Sounds like the best idea, given what we have to work with. The biggest problem is mods come and go at an almost alarming rate these days, and the list would need frequent updating. Not to rag on the administration, because I know they've got plenty of better things to do around the boards, but they haven't generally been very good at keeping informational threads and mod lists updated.

18. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
  19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I maintain that forum architecture thread in two places and it takes me remembering to update it in the Mod Squad and copying the html over to the Comms thread EVERYTIME ANY change occurs, be it color or mod changes. And even though I updated it last week, there are some notable changes missing I need to add this morning. That work is the kind of thing that really never gets seen being done, but it occurs ALL the time.

20. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Wow. That's a lot of work, Sape. :eek: Maybe you could all the names plain old bold so you wouldn't have to update every time someone changes their colors?

Anyway, if the list's being kept current, it would make a lot of sense to add online links to it. :)

21. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    It's not a great deal of work because nearly all mods tend to stay with a single color scheme....except Night4554 (he's so wacky and colorful) ;). I know there's some html Raven uses in the scripts that'll update the colors automatically. It works the way a mod's name changes color everywhere on the boards when a color change is made. I just have to find it and edit it in.

22. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    except Night4554

This is the reason I honest to god hate the whole "Your Colors have to be updated in the forum headers and the Comms thread, and 2 Mod Squad Threads, and the Info Thread and and and..." thing

I'm split betweeen not changing my colors and being unhappy with them and changing them and causing work for Sape and Raven. Sape has said "he can handle it" but (and it's not that he's being lazy, he's just getting annoyed with me) he doesn't keep up. I really really really wish he'd just stick my name in bold in the headers and the threads, but he doesn't.

¤Night

23. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It's good to hear you're doing something in the 3SA to stop emergencies there. If only other forum mods could be persuaded to make a similar thread...

24. Sith_Wench

Sith_Wench Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2004
    Thank you for doing this in the YJCC :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.