main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 15th EUC Starfighter Draft: Ace Errant

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Point Given , Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Well more like I don't think much of Anakin's accomplishments relative to where he's usually drafted which tends to be about the 4th round.

2. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Next up, the number 6

Better on Blu Ray Squadron (3) vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Squadron (2)

Zev Senesca vs Jhoram Bey

Yay Me! Starring Luke Skywalker! (2) vs Attachment is a Jedi Code Violation (3)

Lowbacca vs Nym

Trim's Team (1) vs The Integrity of Bruce Pearl (4)

Gavin Darklighter vs Jake Farrell

Red Rover, Red Rover, Please Send Cade Over (3) vs Mmm! Cheese (2)

Bela Hara vs Darth Caedus

Arguments leaning towards Zev, Lowie, Gavin, Darth Emo

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Leaning towards Jhoram, agreed on the rest.

4. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I won't be able to get arguments up until tomorrow evening, sorry.

5. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    That's ok, I'll give you time.

6. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    My arguments are pretty short. Jhoram has the same exact Rogue pedigree as Zev, except even better because he led the Squadron. Zev's got a couple of examples of skill, but his best was with Wedge Antilles a wingman, I believe. Jhoram has more experience, and while we're scarcer on the details (I think), we know he survived an entire war, including the battle of Mon Calamari where they had to face the new Predator-Class Tie fighters, which are faster, more maneuverable Interceptors...with shields and more guns.

7. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    NYJ is kind of like the Dirk of this draft. I'm just sayin'...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Gonna go with Jhoram

9. Dinkus_Mayhem

Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2006
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, will agree.

11. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Next up, the number 7

Better on Blu Ray Squadron (3) vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Squadron (3)

Myn Donos vs Anj Dahl

Yay Me! Starring Luke Skywalker! (3) vs Attachment is a Jedi Code Violation (3)

Krasov Hara trumped w/ Izal Waz & Tyria Sarkin (Forfeit) vs Darth Vader

Trim's Team (2) vs The Integrity of Bruce Pearl (4)

Boba Fett vs Wes Janson

Red Rover, Red Rover, Please Send Cade Over (3) vs Mmm! Cheese (3)

Ric Olie vs Gunn Yage

Myn, Vader, Janson, Arguments I don't like either of them...

And it's official, Bruce Pearl's integrity has finally gotten something besides NCAA investigations. (I doubt either of the judges will vote Fett over Janson)

12. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Agreed and going with Yage.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  14. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Next up, the number 3

Better on Blu Ray Squadron (4) vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Squadron (3)

Ooryl Qyrgg vs Pash Cracken

Yay Me! Starring Luke Skywalker! (3) vs Attachment is a Jedi Code Violation (4)

Luke Skywalker vs Tahiri Velia

Trim's Team (2) vs The Integrity of Bruce Pearl (5)

Turr Phennir vs Carth Onasi

Red Rover, Red Rover, Please Send Cade Over (3) vs Mmm! Cheese (4)

Garven Dreis vs Imperial Ace

Pash, Luke, Phennir, Dries

15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Agreed.

Looks like the championship is coming down to teams, as it should.

16. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    In fact three of the four matches are coming down to teams. I'm a bit tired from work today so it'll be tomorrow when I officially update the draft. However go ahead and start getting arguments up if you want.

17. Dinkus_Mayhem

May 4, 2006
    Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, Anakin Solo, Octa Ramis, Nym, Odd Ball, Ashoka Tano, Tahiri Veila

vs.

Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade Skywalker, Saba Sebatyne, Lando Calrissian, Lowbacca, Krasov Hara, Izal Waz, Tyria Sarkin

Ken didn't really put much of a team together, he has 2 superb individuals then a rather large drop off and almost no cohesion to speak of.

Luke's team has superb cohesion top to bottom, melding to boost that to even greater heights. My top 3 (Luke, Mara and Saba) are about as close a thing to career pilots as the Jedi have. Great skill, great leadership, great tactical advantages and great experience.

This team is greater than the sum of it's parts. The other team is really just a mess, especially since Vader and Anakin are leading....neither of them are known for being superb leaders and then add the cohesion bump in there and they really would be little more than a group of individuals trying to take down a real team.

18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    my only comment is that mara is nowhere near a good second pilot. at all.

19. Dinkus_Mayhem

May 4, 2006
    Yeah, ok. Thanks for sharing.

20. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Alright teams! I won't give my opinion now, partially I want the two GMs in the championship match to get their arguments up, but mostly I just got called to go into work in the morning and I need sleep.

Better on Blu Ray Squadron (4) vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Squadron (4)

Wedge Antilles, Ooryl Qyrgg, Aril Nunb, Myn Donos, Face Loran, Alinn Varth, Zev Senesca, Dak Ralter vs Tycho Celchu, Pash Cracken, Kasan Moor, Syal Antilles, Jhoram Bey, Anj Dahl, Vindoo "The Shooter" Barvel, Falynn Sandskimmer

Yay Me! Starring Luke Skywalker! (4) vs Attachment is a Jedi Code Violation (4)

Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade Skywalker, Saba Sebatyne, Lando Calrissian, Lowbacca, Krasov Hara, Izal Waz, Tyria Sarkin vs Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, Anakin Solo, Octa Ramis, Nym, Odd Ball, Ashoka Tano, Tahiri Veila

Trim's Team (3) vs The Integrity of Bruce Pearl (5)

No need for teams

Red Rover, Red Rover, Please Send Cade Over (4) vs Mmm! Cheese (4)

Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, Asyr Sei'lar, Tal'dira, Garven Dreis, Bela Hara, Ric Olie, Jek Porkins vs Maarek Stele, Darth Caedus, Lumiya, Nial Declann, Imperial Ace, Broak Vessery, Erisi Dlarit, Gunn Yage

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah waiting for arguments for the first two matches. Going with EKW in the third.

22. Dinkus_Mayhem

May 4, 2006
    I won't be posting anything.

23. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    I'll have an argument up a bit later

24. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Tycho < Wedge
    Pash > Ooryl
    Kasan > Aril

We've seen comparatively little of Nunb; Moor has just as much experience and was evaluated as being neck and neck with Wedge (by Luke Skywalker) as the best pilot in the Alliance.

Syal = Myn
    Bey > Face
    Yes, Face is hilarious. But this is a piloting match, not a stand up comedy match. Bey lead Rogue Squadron for like 7 years, during a war, and survived just fine.

Dahl > Varth

Varth has some assumed experience, but Dahl has just as much, during a war as well, and also made it to Rogue Leader once Bey got promoted. If Rogue Squadron is a meritocracy (which it is), that means a lot.

vindoo < Zev
    Falynn > Dak

Controversial, but Falynn is good. Only Kell scored higher than her in the training for Wraith Squadron, and she was already an ace before joining the squadron. Her lip involving Luke was why she was there; unlike others she had no problem with piloting and had actually been promoted before, twice. She was also good enough to barely lose to Wedge in that race, for what its worth.

So yeah. Wedge is the best pilot in the match, but Tycho is close, and then I have a strong edge through out the middle, even if you say Myn > Syal. Jhoram and Anj aren't as well known as the book folks on the other team, but just because they are comic characters doesn't mean they should be disregarded. You don't become Rogue Leader (or survive as it) without being a damn good pilot.

25. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Wedge > Tycho
    Ooryl < Pash
    Aril >= Kasan
    Bolded isn't stated in source. While their experience is similar, Aril is shown more in action. All we have on Kasan is the Luke quote, her status as an Imperial squad leader, and a bunch of ?I was there?s that don?t show what she did or how she did it. Aril, on the other hand, is actually shown flying in the x-wing novels. In what we do see of her, she impresses Corran Horn (who, being Corran, is difficult to impress, and has been flying with Wedge for 6 months before meeting Aril) and Wedge, flies most of the Bacta War against numerically superior forces whilst having very limited back-up.

Myn > Syal
    Face = Jhoram
    Alinn =< Anj

I?ll be the first to admit that I didn?t follow Legacy very much. However, we know very little on exactly what Jhoram and Anj did in the wars they flew in. We don?t know much beyond the fact that they flew in Stazi?s fleet, which was fighting a hit-and-run style war (until Legacy started picking up). What concrete information we do have from Legacy is very little in regards to their flying abilities. We don?t see much of their flying abilities and how exactly their battles played out. Face and Alinn, though, we do have a rather large amount of seen info from (Face more so than Alinn). Dismissing them so casually ignores their remarkable flying skills and large amount of experience. Face flew the whole Zsinj campaign, against dangerous enemy forces that downed other, ?better?, pilots (Janson, Hobbie, Asyr). Alinn survived the initial encounters with the Vong (a ridiculous affair; Rogue Squadron lost 12 pilots in 3 battles, 6 at Dantooine). Face then is reactivated as a pilot and flies at least the second half of the YV war. (For those needing them again, I can repost my previous Face and Alinn args)

Zev > ?The Shooter?
    Dak > Falynn
    I thought Kell scored 0 :p
    Dak?s flying career is much more substantial and longer than Falynn?s, which is why I think that Dak will best her (again, I can re-post args for Dak if need be)

Comments:
    Comparision: I think that both squads are very evenly matched and most of the match-ups are really close. Skill is maybe slightly to NYJ and experience slightly to me, but it?s very even between them.

Force: Nope :p

Shown vs Rep: Here?s one of the key dividing factors between our two squadrons: a good portion of NYJ?s pilots rely on their rep to get them through, whereas mine tend to have more of their experience shown. Ooryl, Aril, Myn, Face, and Alinn have more shown and consistent pieces of combat shown in detail than Pash, Kasan, Jhoram, and Anj do (I?m not saying that they?re better because they?re in more ?mainstream? pieces, but rather that since they are, there are more examples of specific actions and skill while flying than for others).

Cohesion: Here we have (imo) the big deciding factor between our otherwise very even teams. Breakdown:
    Wedge- flown extensively with Ooryl, Aril, Face, Myn, Zev, and Dak (all but Alinn)
    Ooryl- flown extensively with Wedge, Aril, Myn in Rogue Squadron, and Face during Zsinj campaign
    Aril- with Wedge and Ooryl
    Myn- extensively with Wedge, Ooryl, Face
    Face- extensively with Wedge and Myn, Ooryl during Zsinj
    Alinn- no one :(
    Zev- extensively with Wedge and Dak
    Dak- extensively with Wedge and Zev

Tycho- with Pash, Kasan, and Syal
    Pash- with Tycho
    Kasan- with Tycho?
    Syal- with Tycho (notice the trend: beyond Tycho, not much flying experience with the other squad-members. I think the Lonely from the team name fits this squad very well)
    Jhoram- Anj
    Anj- Jhoram (Different time frame- while not a problem, also no bonus with the rest of the squad)
    ?The shooter?- Whoa! Imperial die-hard hero on a Rebel team? Odd to be (very) kind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.