main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 19th EUC Starfighter Draft: Thank You Aaron Allston

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Point Given , Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I think heels1785 and s65horsey should trade Han and Stele. Both would have an amazing top 3 due to that one trade.

2. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Except only Heels would have an amazing top 3

3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I would be excited to have a Solo top 3. Sure you take a small step back in terms of individual picks, but a huge step forward in terms of your picks working as an actual team.

Cohesion helped me a lot in the last draft.

4. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I wonder how my cohesion is going to go. . . I think I need to think about trading some more.

5. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm willin to listen to trades!

6. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Beard Power

1. Anakin Skywalker
    2. Jagged Fel
    3. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    4. Saba Sebatyne
    5. Lowbacca
    6. Octa Ramis
    7. Kyle Katarn
    8. Aayla Secura

I may consider a trade.

7. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm an old crabby pants who is stuck in her ways so I really dislike trades and don't think they ever come out fairly in my favor so I'm prolly good where I'm at.

Game of Pilots
    1. Jaina Solo
    2. Maarek Stele
    3. Jacen Solo
    4. Ooryl Qrygg
    5. Ace Azzameen
    6. Horton Salm
    7. Biggs Darklighter
    8. Lumiya

8. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    No Corran for you than! [face_shame_on_you]

9. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    The funny part is that I had another line written in my post and then deleted it. Since you commented here it is "If I could think of something fair to trade for Corran I'd do it in a heartbeat but I'm not going to diminish my team's power for him and anything else wouldn't be fair."

10. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    I would've accepted Ooryl. It is too late for you now to recant though. ;)

Runjedirun and s65horsey like this.
  11. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
  12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  13. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yep... not fair, mitth lost out there.

and i'd have said you'd be losing out for orryl as well.

14. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    I rather thought that the small drop in the force was adequet considering the boost to cohesion between Fel and Nuruodo. Not to mention the other force users I already have.

15. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    corran is just flat out better. i'm not even thinking about the force aspect of it, because it isn't that big of a deal.

and cohesion with one person doesn't really make up that kind of talent gap. at least not to me. your goal is to avoid teams, which means you need individual wins. corran is more likely to get you those wins than jagged. and honestly, his cohesion with other force users via melding is probably better cohesion than you'd get out of one link between jagged and shawnkyr.

admittedly, this is just my personal opinion about it.

16. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Considering you are a Judge, I will take this personal opinion deeply under advisement with future trades.

17. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm only one of three. i tend to favor more talented squads over the most cohesive ones. but i'm pretty sure other judges lean the other way, so hey.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

I already have an amazing top 3.

WHAT

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    you'd have a far more amazing top three.

vader stele is what i won with.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    True. But its nice having a fellow band of misfits out there, I'm interested to see how we fare.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm the other judge, and I say Jag is, bar none, the most consistently underrated pilot in the draft. Don't worry about it.

But I'm judging on ability, not percentage of X-wing novel facetime.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    that what you're suggesting i'm doing? o_O

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm suggesting it's an inherent bias that creeps in pretty much everywhere; naturally, we respond to what we see most of and have the most accumulated time with -- it certainly makes arguments easier. I think it's caused a lot of other pilots to get somewhat overlooked, though. I think you can put together an incredibly strong case for Jag, but it's not often done. It's just a matter of digging up the evidence.

Overall, I'd just be interested in seeing competitors taking a few more fliers on trying to make a strong case for Carth Onasi or Dash Rendar or somebody, who has only a few points of evidence but they're strong, rather than trying to get bottom-tier Wraiths with weak records of achievement but name recognition past Jedi with minimal cockpit time but name recognition and the Force. It's boring and safe, and I think there's a bigger payoff in relying on putting together good arguments, at least with me. Is Tyria Sarkin really a better pilot than General Crespin? The girl who didn't actually graduate from the academy is better than the accomplished general who trains A-wing squadrons? Yet she's off the board and he isn't. I'd respect taking a risk on Crespin, who you can argue is elite even if you can't conclusively prove it, over Tyria, who you can prove isn't elite. . . but at least she's a well-known quantity. As a judge, I'd just rather entertain a bold argument to ability than wade through a lot of reliance on the crutches of name recognition and "the Force = automatic elite pilot." I'd rather be surprised by a good argument than just see who can defer harder to conventional wisdom. It's more entertaining, and I respect the risk and the reliance on argument and well-chosen evidence.

Point Given and Mikaboshi like this.
  24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    you're going with the rep over seen argument there havac. the reason carth is NEVER drafted anymore is because you can not prove a single thing with him. people have tried, and you have nothing to work with. you see him fly the ebon hawk and land a freighter in the KOTOR comics. that's about all you have on carth. sure, he has a rep, but why should you respect something you never see? the same goes with crespin (who actually is drafted most of the time i would note), you just don't know what he's done. sure, he made general, but what feats does he have?

and we've very, very seriously gone over the force/elite pilot thing many, many times. the force doesn't make you an elite pilot, most of the OT jedi couldn't even fly. they had to rely on being transported around. but it does help with what is there. don't even open that can of worms again... it has caused all kinds of problems in the past, and i'm not touching it past this comment.

also, havac, at this point i have heard pretty much every argument for everyone that gets drafted. i've been through so many drafts that it's kind of sad to think about in some ways, but with these particular people i do know what i'm talking about. i know everything you can argue for jagged. i've had him, i've made those arguments in the past. you may underrate him, but i just don't see him as being even with corran. but i definitely don't rate corran as high as a lot of people. i'd put him high teens, but jagged is barely top 25 in my personal opinion. barely. i have read everything he's ever been present in, more than once actually. i've done the same with corran. i'm not making an uneducated statement, but jagged has just never really impressed me a lot. you saw him through a teenaged jaina's eyes a lot, especially when he was at his most impressive. a teenaged jaina thought he was cute, and just didn't have enough experience to really tell how good he was. as the war progressed, he wasn't as impressive. at least to me.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I thought everyone knew Carth > Ooryl :confused:

The Great No One likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.