main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 2007 MLB Hall of Fame class

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It shall be announced this afternoon. I think it's rather obvious who isn't getting in on their first ballot.

2. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
  3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    No surprises there. I figured McGwire wouldn't get in this year. I expect Goose Gossage to finally make it in next year now though, as he was fairly close now, even with Ripken and Gwynn as locks ahead of him.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Nope, no surprises. Ripken came pretty close to the record, with 98.5% of the ballots. And I'd agree, Gossage probably makes it in next year.

Also, I think McGwire will do noticeably better next year, but still fall short before making it in sometime down the road.

5. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    Those two votes for Bobby Bonilla must have come from some sarcastic New York beatwriters.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    You know, I wonder how it feels to be on the HOF ballot and receive zero votes. On the one hand, do you feel honored to be on the ballot? Or are you insulted by the complete lack of votes?

7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I mirror other opinions. No real suprises. I don't think I would really care if I got any votes. I would just feel honoured to be on the ballot.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I really hope that a plagerism scandal unfolds surrounding one (or more) of the holier-than-thou voters who keep hashing the Steroid Era to death and witholding votes because of it.

mainly, because I love irony, and also because the steroid users, while cheating, were doing it without on-the-book punishment from MLB, and in some cases, I would theorize, with encouragement from some higher-ups in MLB.

9. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    At this point, I don't even care who's cheated and who hasn't. I just want the power out of the writer's hands - I'm sick and tired of that holier than thou attitude. They're not the caretakers of this game, I don't know why the responsibility of one of baseball's greatest honor rests in their hands. They're clearly biased (hello, Jim Rice) and I can't stand them anymore. Just let them keep me informed. I don't want their opinions. Let's let a panel of ex-players, managers, front office guys and owners decude who is in and out.

STOP THE MADNESS!!

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Let's let a panel of ex-players, managers, front office guys and owners decude who is in and out.

Sounds good. For the ex-players, I would suggest those that are in the Hall themselves.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Although you knew Gwynn, Ripken were going in, it's great to see them in the Hall of Fame. Also, I absoultely agree with Yodave on the issue of sports writers voting for the HOF. Sportswriters tend to be arrogant ****** anyway (although I admit I love to watch Around the Horn & PTI), but their control over the HOF voting is an unnecessary extension of their arrogance.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    yeah, I'd agree with that, too

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, some sportswriters can be fun to listen to (and laugh at, etc)... but I'd rather have people connected to the game voting.

That applies to more sports and issues than just the Baseball HOF, for that matter. All HOFs, MVP voting, etc.

14. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    8 writers failed to vote for Ripken with 2 of them leaving blank ballots. I don't understand the logic of this. Well I get the mini-protest of the 2 writers lame as it may be. However isn't Cal Ripken what everyone wants from the game? A man who got to play for the team he grew up with, excelled at all phases of the game, played everyday, didn't show people up, didn't argue with umps, stayed loyal to the team, 2 time MVP, 19 all star games, won a World Series & he was one of the few people that could go into any city where the other teams fans would cheer for him. What could those 6 writers be thinking of?

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Django, I was wondering that as well. At least 5 MVP awards? 10? Maybe they figured he'd get in anyways and didn't need their vote, but still.. why?

16. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Cal Ripken should have gotten 100% of the vote. As for McGwire I would have voted for him personally because he brought a lot of interest back into the sport. I think Mark needs to campaign for himself though because he has an awful lot of questions to answer.

17. WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2006
    I think it's a shame that all anyone can think to talk about on ESPN or write about on the blogs is Mark McGuire.

Here you have two of the greatest pure hitters in baseball history (arguably in the top ten, anyway), and maybe even two of the last guys to play their whole long careers with only one team (with the exception of Maybe Derek Jeter). Everyone should really focus on these two great ballplayers that did get inducted, and stop wasting all this time on McGuire.

It truly is a sad state of sports journalism when all the guys who voted for the HOF can talk about is who they didn't vote for.

18. PhilippLahm16

PhilippLahm16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2006
    You mena like the already existing old timer's committee?

The system is definitely flawed. Nobody hates Mike Lupica, for example, more than I do. Before he says another word about how McGuire doesn't belong, or is even allowed to cast his ballot leaving him off, he should be forced to refund every dime he earned on his book about McGuire and Sosa's home run race, and send letters to everyone who bought the book apologizing to them for helping sell the sham.

But there are also writers like Jerome Holzman, guys who love the game as much as anyone. I have no problem with him voting. For th record, he did not vote for McGuire this year, but says he probably will in the future -- not getting in on the first ballot is his punishment.

In the end, though, regardless of who votes, McGuire disgraced himself, and has no one else to blame but himself. I'd never vote for him.

And the real shame is that 2 guys who were absolute class, Gwynn and Rupkin, are getting completely overshadowed.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Fixed. ;)

20. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    Well, if we're playing the fixing game, I can't imagine Pujols will be going anywhere else for the forseeable future. Chipper Jones is a borderline hall of famer, and he's spent his whole career with one team as well.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Much as I'd like to see Chipper in the HOF, unless he has several more injury-free seasons (not looking likely after the last couple years) where performs up to his capabilities, its not likely.

22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Yea, I don't see Chipper making it.

But Pujols, unless he just forgets how to hit, I'd imagine that he's getting in. And I'd imagine that he's staying with the Cards as well...unless he wants to be traded.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Pujols is still way too young to really talk about him being with the same team his whole career. He might, he might not, but either way, he's too young to tell.

24. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    ...and still on that subject. In my mind Bernie Williams is a hall of famer he's been a Yankee his whole career. Mariano Rivera has been a Yankee his whole career.

On the subject of Cal and Tony. The focus should be all on them and not McGuire. Cal and Tony were both excellent ball players and are two very classy men.

I heard that Jose got so few of votes that he'll never be on another ballot. [face_laugh]

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

25. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Hold on a minute, if Bernie Williams is worthy, than Chipper Jones would be a shoe-in your book. They're pretty much in the same boat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.