main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The 2016 Atlantic Hurricane season

Discussion in 'Community' started by Falcon, May 29, 2016.

1. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

what the hell is going on in the Atlantic Ocean this week? I'd be keeping a close eye on that tropical depression Twelve if I were me, which I most certainly am.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    It's been nothing but torrential downpour every day in Central Florida. Incredibly frustrating when it's just you and two small children--with you carrying all the junk they insist on taking with them everywhere. Wet socks have become part of my regular wardrobe.

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've solved the problem of the children's junk they insist on taking everywhere, by insisting they don't, and that I'm in charge. Tell them they can't take anything at all, and then be nice and allow one thing. When they try and negotiate, tell them it's one or none, their choice.

You know what, send your children to me. I will raise them.

tom, Ezio Skywalker and Rylo Ken like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is it looking worse than a usual hurricane season?

6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    there aren't any major hurricanes zooming around yet, so probably not. I'm very suspicious of 12, however, even though it's short term outlook doesn't make it look very dangerous.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

I've actually just started making them use backpacks instead of asking me to carry everything. :p

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Get a really really huge backpack and shove everything in it that your kids want. If there is any room left over, put one or both of the kids into the bag.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, flooding here in Charleston. My shuttle bus home is struggling through it.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We're actually in a drought in my part of New England, even the leftovers of Hermine barely amounted to any rain

11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

Twelve is still looking interesting. Strengthens into a hurricane, threads that needle between Cuba and Florida and unleashes hell in the GoM. or not.

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    as you can see, 12 is now tropical storm Karl, but it won't be heading into the GoM. It could threaten Bermuda as a category 2 hurricane by the weekend.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    When I see "12" I immediately assume Peter Capaldi is flying around the Atlantic yelling at everything to **** off.

14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    hurricane Matthew likely to become category 2 before landfall. a whole lot of uncertainty in track predictions. Could hit the east coast of the U.S. next week as a major hurricane or could also not do that.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Matthew was briefly a 5 before settling into a category 4, hope the good people of Jamaica and Haiti are not clobbered by this. The U.S. trajectory current skewers between South Carolina and Georgia.

Thankfully, the barometric pressure has remained steady at 945 this past day. I hope that increases (which will mean the storm is losing strength).

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I hope it either dies down before it gets to the US or it misses Florida - my sister lives in West Palm Beach..

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    and ditto for the folks in the Bahamas (as well as Florida and Georgia and the Carolinas). I know folks on that coast in FL too.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

Please not the yellow, blue or purple lines. I don't want to deal with NY/NJ people.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The storm's taking a generous sample platter of Greater Antilles and Bahamas. best wishes for everyone in Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, Guantanamo, etc. staying safe.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm sure those included in the "etc" take great heart from your well wishes, Ken.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Sometimes I do wonder whether all the 330 inhabitants of Long Cay and Crooked Island really take the time to read my posts on a daily basis.

Diggy likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We do.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Matthew was the third strongest storm ever recorded in Haiti. It's category 3 after brushing Cuba, will likely spin back up to category 4 and may find the sweet spot in the gap between Grand Bahamas and West Palm Beach as it heads north. Florida may or may not take a direct category 4 hit early Friday, but it will almost certainly get hurricane force winds and a lot of rain, and the rain may extend all the way up to the North Carolina coast by the end of the weekend. Perhaps it will be useful to remind the good people of North Carolina (Survey USA - Clinton +2 as of Tuesday) that FEMA is supported by Federal tax dollars.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My parents and sister are in eastern NC so I'm a little concerned. There is some talk of a Hugo repeat here but I'm not expecting it.

25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    It's supposed to weaken significantly as it moves north of West Palm Beach.