main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    The "Make America Great Again" slogan works for the Trump camp insomuch as it's a rallying cry for so-called "traditional values" amongst other things.

It also does acknowledge the fact that many uber patriotic types who blindly ignore the systemic failings that are all around them ignore,that the manner of governance has not been working for a long time.

How Trump would enable making America "great" again he has not elaborated on in any meaningful way from a policy settings POV.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I guess did. Honestly sorry if so. Do we have a transcript of the speech?

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

For Michelle though, why wouldn't that be true? She and her husband managed to ascend to the highest office in the land and broke down barriers. They managed to take advantage of every opportunity and encapsulate the American dream. And while things are political in so many areas, you need to also examine the accomplishments made in these past 8 years- affordable healthcare, Same sex unions legalized across the US, and the economy on the mend. Are there problems? Absolutely. But not to the 1984 fear mongering level that Trump has put forth. And for all the tragedy that has occurred in these past 8 years, there have been true examples of American greatness as heroes emerge and people band together in the face of hate. So yes, I can see why in her eyes, America is the greatest country on Earth. Others may not share that opinion, but for her, I can see how this is true. She has met truly inspiring people and seen the good and the bad up close. So I can definitely see how this would affect her opinion.

4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Well this couldn't look more different from last night LOL.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Oh god, that presidents mosaic breaking to reveal Hillary was the cheesiest thing I've seen in a while.

Rylo Ken and Ender Sai like this.
  6. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

No problem, here you go.

https://www.romper.com/p/transcript...-convention-speech-was-sweetly-personal-15119

7. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Very GOOD job. VERY AMAZING!!!

DNC blew RNC out of water!

SUCK ON IT, TRUMP FANS!!!!!!!

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    President Obama and Senator Kaine tomorrow, should be absolutely incredible.

But, as always, I'm most excited to see Biden. I hope he brings a chainsaw.

Yodaminch likes this.
  9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Josh Marshall noted that Bill seems fragile these days, and to me he looks genuinely old for the first time. He was considerably lower-wattage this time around than in 2012, when he was electric and filled with energy. I think this may be the last time he's able to do this at length, and I note that his speech was considerably shorter than the epic in 2012.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok, but at that level she's educated and has access to enormous resources. So, everything that she can see there in terms of a positive, she can find evidence from primary or secondary sources of places that have implemented those changes sooner and more comprehensively than America.

So whilst she may simply be saying how fortunate the Obamas are to have succeeded in so many regards against a system designed to keep them out, it does not speak to a great country. They succeeded in spite of structural efforts to keep them out.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Heart surgery and basically forced-veganism does that to a person.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's not a mosaic.

13. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Finally! An appeal to women voters!

I don't care that it's identity politics. It's optimistic identity politics vs. bigoted identity politics.

Break that glass ceiling! Make those female supporters cry with hope! Yay!

"When Trump becomes President, I want to be able to tell my children that I did everything to stop him."

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Could also be the campaign and travel that has been tough on him, even on a limited schedule. Having more help, namely the Obamas, in the general, will hopefully help him.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

C'mon, I loved that (we're about 6-7m behind on the TiVo...)... it was brilliant to demonstrate this really isn't politics-as-usual, since -- y'know -- not a dude.

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The surgery was in 2004, and I think he was already a vegan by 2012. I think it's more that he's just getting old, which to me makes HRC's apparent stamina all the more remarkable.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have not been able to watch, I'm going to try to catch up on footage tomorrow, but...good.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

He had a double-stent procedure after complaining of "chest pains" in 2010, which is considerably more recent and he's never really been as "vital" since then.

Yodaminch likes this.
  19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Really? I just watched a moment or two of the 2012 speech, and the difference is almost startling. He was in complete command there, and gave the impression that it could just as easily been him running for the presidency. Not so much tonight. It was great, but he's lost something to age if tonight is any indication. Your mileage may vary, of course, and perhaps he looked a bit lower-wattage to you in 2012. There just seems to be a big difference in four years' time.

Pensivia and Ender Sai like this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've reviewed the transcript. Allow me to be clearer. The work people do after college is wonderful. But she's running for the President of the United States.

When her campaign was in dire straits, and she was banking on African-Americans to win, how many times did she bring up her commitment to ending police brutality? How many of you all on these boards who supported Hillary Clinton stepped forward to say that you thought Sanders wasn't really addressing the needs of African-Americans, as compared to her? How many times did we have to hear how she "kicked off her campaign" with a speech about criminal justice reform? And now, before the primary is even over, what happened to this element that was supposedly so central to her campaign?

We'll see what happens over the rest of the convention. But I'm unimpressed with the degree to which she's sustained something that was supposedly so important to her.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Tell me, Jabba-wocky

What is the cut-off age for work that a person does so that it may be counted in some way? Is it 25? 35? Older than that?

Darth Nerdling and Ender Sai like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He looked old then too, but he had this spark. He's looked tired lately -- I remember seeing him earlier this year standing next to Hillary on a campaign stop somewhere, and he looked like a skeleton.

KnightWriter and Ender Sai like this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

http://gawker.com/mother-of-trayvon-martins-emotional-plea-this-is-abou-1784358426

Yeah. Totally unrelated to what you said.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Time for a response to everyone!

Yeah, it says a lot that Cruz didn't endorse Trump and was booed by his own supporters for it... And that Bernie was booed by his own supporters because he *did* endorse the candidate.

It's a well-accepted notion that Democrats usually win when the turnout is high. And this is because only 28% of Americans are Republicans. Think about that for a second. They should never be close to winning any major election, yet they do it all the time because their voters are loyal and active and pragmatic.

I'm not a Democrat. I don't give a **** about Democratic party unity. In fact, though I hope to God Hillary wins, I also hope this election is a turning point that leads to major restructuring of the parties. I'd like to see three or four parties realistically in it every year. (Really I'd prefer a parliamentary system, but that's not realistic... A valid third party at this stage might be).

As I've said, if you're not in a swing state, vote for who you want. Since I'm in CA, it's likely Hillary will win here. If it's close, I'll vote for her and encourage others to do the same. If she's clearly going to win, well then in that case I might vote for Gary Johnson. But I think it's dangerous to encourage people in swing states to vote for anyone other than Hillary for purely pragmatic reasons.

Not only did he have his whole VP pitch thing about them basically running the government instead of him, but several people who've left his campaign have in fact stated they are sure Trump didn't actually want to be President when he started. And he certainly still doesn't want the actual job.

But at this point, I think he wants the *title* of President. He always gets what he wants. He just wants to brag about winning. But while he may not govern day to day, I'm sure he will still make some extremely reckless executive orders.

But no, I don't think any part of him wants the actual job of President. And why would he? He's a billionaire who does nothing but brag and make money off his name and scamming people. Being POTUS is the hardest job in the world, by contrast.

Yeah, I was disappointed in him for not endorsing Hillary sooner. I was also disappointed that he didn't denounce some of the Bernie Bros more loudly.

But he's definitely earned back my respect. He's made me believe that, in spite of his plans being totally unrealistic, in his heart he really cares about what's best for the country. Which in this case is keeping Trump out.

Just you mentioning Biden is like a stab in the heart of this poor Biden supporter :(

I truly think if Biden were the nominee, this would be a cake walk instead of what I believe is a really dangerous nail biter election.

I mean, my life long conservative Republican father (who is not voting for Trump; he voted for Kasich) told me that if Biden were the candidate he'd vote for him easily. Whereas my father can't bring himself to vote for Hillary. I think Biden could have brought in more Republicans who hate Trump, more independents, and even more Bernie fans.

*sigh, followed by a sob*

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I just watched him speak from about a month ago then 2012. He's definitely looking older.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.