main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 50 Best Beatles Covers of All Time: 47. "Mother Nature's Son" by John Denver

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    By Josh Jackson
    The 50 Best Beatles Covers of All Time

"Few songwriters have been so thoroughly covered as Lennon/McCartney, and the diversity of Beatles covers is a tribute to the Liverpudlians unmatched mark on pop music.

As with the 50 Best Bob Dylan Covers of All Time, I?ve selected only one version of each song for our list, and each artist only appears once. I?ve also tried to limit the selections from any one album like the I Am Sam soundtrack or Rubber Soul anniversary tribute. And if I?ve missed your favorite Beatles cover, add it in the comments section?hopefully that just means there?s plenty for you to discover among the 50 that did make the cut (or you can use it as an opportunity to question my sanity).

50. Belarus ? ?Here, There And Everywhere?
    The recently defunct Swindon band recorded the first Beatles cover that would have been home on Grey?s Anatomy (not that there?s anything wrong with that; it?s lovely, really)."

Music Clip

My view of covers: if you can't add something to the mix, or be better than the original, don't bother.

The Beatles generally knew this, because their cover of "Twist and Shout" is definitive.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This could be a lot of fun. The thread, I mean, not this particular entry. I think the absolute best way to sum up how awful this cover of Here, There & Everywhere is to just say that it is completely generic. I think if you heard this version of the song without knowing its history, you'd just assume it was a fair to middling original tune and then you'd never think of it again. They lose all the distinctiveness and genius of the original.

3. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
  4. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    49. The Feelies ? ?Everybody?s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey?

"A full-on bar-rock-guitar onslaught every time they play it, the Feelies don?t even bother to with the mics when they scream the chorus."

Music Clip

Yes, incompetence is always an advantage...:p

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, to be fair, how else are you going to cover a song as stupid as this one? I enjoyed it; a high-energy, silly cover of a high-energy, silly song.

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Well, you have a point; it hardly deserves better.

7. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    48. Junior Parker ? ?Taxman?

Music Clip

"Mr. Blues? languid take was sampled by Cypress Hill for ?I Wanna Get High? but California won?t be taxing that anytime soon."

I hardly recognized it.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That's a great, groovy cover. Did you catch the name of that album? Love Ain't Nothing But a Business Goin' On. I may have to get into Junior Parker.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Great title, undoubtedly.

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    47. John Denver ? ?Mother Nature?s Son?

"When Denver sung this on his show in 1973, it sounded like The Beatles had written it specifically for him."

Music Clip

:p

11. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    At 1:13, Denver sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

But that's just me.