main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

the actors

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by hempcollege, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hempcollege

hempcollege Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    the actors used in the first two movies are, for the most part, no name actors, exp. ewan mcgregor, hayden christianson. so why did liam neeson and sam l. jackson get parts?

2. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    George Probably wanted actors with experience. They seem to fit the role well.

3. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Liam Neeson isn't really a star. He's a great character actor.

4. JediCouncilBoy

JediCouncilBoy Jedi Master star 1

Jun 7, 2001
    I remeber reading an interview somewhere, I can't tell u exactly where though, it was a while back. Sam said on Oprah or somewhere, well they asked him what director he would like to work with , and he said George Lucas. And than his agent got them together or something. I'm almost 99% positve on this.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman were NOT no-name actors. Certainly they were not superstars but people knew who they were.

6. -diVe-

-diVe- Jedi Master

Jan 15, 2002
    In 1997, Ewan McGregor was not a household name. Trainspotting, which came out in 1995, definitely put him on the map, but he was far from a household name. I think Episode I, even though he had a small role, made him "famous."

I think Trainspotting was his best movie, besides The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

7. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman were NOT no-name actors. Certainly they were not superstars but people knew who they were."

Yes, these two were both in films before TPM, but nobody outside of the Scotland really knew who they were. I didn't know who they were. Star Wars made their careers.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

8. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Nobody outside of Scotland really knew who Natalie Portman were?

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes, these two were both in films before TPM, but nobody outside of the Scotland really knew who they were. I didn't know who they were. Star Wars made their careers.

No offense here Windy but maybe you were too young or something. My entire circle of friends knew who they were. And I almost find the statement that Star Wars "made" their careers to be offensive. Both of them would have had careers without Star Wars. Just as Harrison Ford would have. Certainly not with the high profile that they have WITH Star Wars, but they would have had careers.

And I never said they were household names, but they were NOT no-name actors. Ewan had made multiple films by that point and received critical acclaim for his acting. Most people who paid attention to film knew who he was. Natalie had made The Professional which was a moderate theatrical success and rented like MAD. Again, she received critical acclaim for her performance. People who paid attention to film knew who she was.

10. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Samual Jackson is just bad to the bone Jedi, and he looks it when he is on the council, I am sure George saw that in him. :cool:

11. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    "And I almost find the statement that Star Wars "made" their careers to be offensive. Both of them would have had careers without Star Wars. Just as Harrison Ford would have."

You see, I find this comment offensive. There are thousands of struggling actors out there who have just as much talent as a Harrison Ford or a Natalie Portman. The actors who become major stars are not any more talented than these struggling actors, they are just luckier. Any major film actor will tell you that he or she was simply in the right place at the right time. Believe it or not, it IS possible for a single movie or television show to propel an actor into stardom. Once an actor is a star, they are in demand and continue to get solid work. Star Wars obviously did this for Harrison, Natalie and Ewan. They each recieved many more parts and roles to play after their success in Star Wars. The movies may not have MADE their careers, but they certainly MADE their careers the kind of careers that they now enjoy.

too windy for spoilers!

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The movies may not have MADE their careers, but they certainly MADE their careers the kind of careers that they now enjoy.

See now that statement I agree with.

13. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Shut me down! Mods arguing with mods, how perverse!

I'm confused by the earlier statement that no one outside of Scotland knew who Ewan or Natalie were. Natalie Portman is not Scottish, is she? I was under the impression that she was American. Did I just misread something, or does Mace Windy think NP is Scottish? Is NP Scottish? Am I that ignorant? (No one answer that!!) :)

I'm so confused.

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    She's Jewish.

15. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I agree with Strilo that Portman would have had a career without SW. She'd already been in some major movies before TPM. But Ewan hadn't been in anything I'd heard of, so I don't know about him. He's talented enough, but like you said Mace, right time, right place ...

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think maybe "no one outside of the UK" would be a more accurate statement about Ewan. Because both Shallow Grave and Trainspotting were hits throughout the UK. Before SW ever happened, Ewan said he couldn't go anywhere in London without being recognized.

Star Wars has made Ewan a bit more of a bankable star here in the US. But honestly, not many people know him by name still. What's continued to get him roles is the fact that he's an amazing actor.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss MacGregor's emerging popularity in the US before TPM. While he wasn't A-list, his movies did make it across the pond and enjoyed some measure of popularity. :)

18. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    She's Jewish.

So, is she from Israel?

19. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    I should have said that no one outside of Scotland knew who Ewan was (an apparently, in the UK as well), and no one knew who Portman was in general.

Seriously, while Portman was in quite a few films before TPM, what percentage of the general public knew her by name? I am willing to guess that it was less than 5%

too windy for spoilers!

20. MA5Bergey

MA5Bergey Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    as for sam jackson, i remember hearing somewhere that jackson and lucas were already good friends, and thats why he cast him.

21. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    Jackson openly petitioned to be in the films. Whether or not he and George had a previous relationship, I don't know. To be honest, however, I don't see why they would have. George seems to be a very private person, and had not worked for quite some time. I'd imagine that while he was taking some time off, he wasn't cruising the Hollywood circuit.

too windy for spoilers!

22. DESTiNED_tO_FALL

DESTiNED_tO_FALL Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    1. Yes, Portman is from Isreal. Or at least her parents were from there.

2. I believe that most of the actors were not "no names" previous to the prequels. Christopher Lee has been around for generations. Same with Ian McDiarmid. Jimmy Smits was known from NYPD Blue for years, and I personally knew Natalie Portman from quite a few different films (Where the Heart Is, The Professional etc.) And then of course Samuel L. Jackson and Christensen (although he wasn't recognizable really until after Life as a House [greatest movie EVER by the way]).

23. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    George usually picks actors who, for the most part, are unknown.

Seen any other good Silas Carson movies?

But 5-10% of the Star Wars cast (as a whole) were well known actors when the movies came out.

Hamill, Ewan, Liam, Natile, JEJ, Samuel L. Jackson, Frank Oz, Alec Guinness, and the list continues.

24. tavis12

tavis12 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2005
    I should have said that no one outside of Scotland knew who Ewan was (an apparently, in the UK as well), and no one knew who Portman was in general.

Seriously, while Portman was in quite a few films before TPM, what percentage of the general public knew her by name? I am willing to guess that it was less than 5%

A sure fire way to sound like an ignorant a$$ is to use sweeping terms like "no one." The world is far larger than the U.S., and you should keep that in mind when you decide who has and who has not heard of someone or something.

Strilo edit: A sure fire way to get banned is to call someone an ignorant ass...

25. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Well George was looking for an actor that was highly respected in the acting community like an Alec Guinness, someone the other actors would have alot of repect for, so he picked Liam Neeson. Sam Jackson was on a TV interview and was asked what his dream role was and he said it was to be in a Star Wars movie, so Goerge gave him a call!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.