main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Aesthetic of the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheGhostOfZero, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well, at least it had porgs.

Also if that is the case do you think Endor is to Earthy?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. Walk those steps and you will feel Luke was entirely justified in going there to die. He had no intention of that until he reached the top and then recognized that he never wanted to make that trip again. "I came here... and decided to die here".

CEB and TCF-1138 like this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I had no idea - I figured it was just miniatures and matte paintings. That's awesome!

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Nobody does "monastic" like the Irish. Everything the Jedi would ever be attracted to is on our isolationist inward-looking island. Ancient libraries, island monasteries... if you seek to have nothing to do with your fellow man, we can meet your needs in Eire.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I was pretty disappointed with the "aesthetics" again if I'm honest but it did feel like they put a *little* more effort into try to make something new and original in terms of Canto Bight and also Crait.

Still waiting to see an environment in these films that totally blows my mind like many of the PT environments but we certainly moved in the right direction from TFA to TLJ.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Count Yubnub and QuangoFett like this.
  6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Completely disagree - On multiple points.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    That's one of my favorite parts. IMO, the PT was too aesthetically disconnected from the OT for my tastes. The ST DOES feel like an extension of the OT galaxy for me, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Lulu Mars, PymParticles and Avnar like this.
  8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I agree with Lulu 1000% [face_laugh]

9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Which is fair enough. I grew up with the OT, and I wanted more stories with that look and feel. The PT didn't do that for me, though there is stuff in it I like. So it's just a matter of personal preference.

redxavier, MS1, Lulu Mars and 2 others like this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I love how this trilogy looks. The planets, the redesigned X-Wings, A-Wings, TIE Fighters, stormtroopers, the new Star Destroyers, Kylo's TIE Silencer and his lightsaber, the Praetorian Guards, the AT-M6s, the Ski Speeders, it all looks consistent with the universe depicted in the original films, both the new designs and the updates of the old. Whereas the PT (as many new and frequently fantastic designs as there were in those films) didn't look/feel like that world but 32-19 years prior, this does look like the world of the OT but thirty years further down the line.

The only thing that feels out of place is Canto Bight (which I love and I really wish we spent more time there), but that was sort of the point. It juxtaposed the opulence and excess of this tiny little oasis against all the frontier worlds you spend most of your time on in IV-VIII; even Cloud City feels blue collar in comparison. The rich war profiteers literally carved out an artificial paradise for themselves on a barren wasteland planet. The location itself was a literalization of what they were doing to the Galaxy as a whole, which was a nice way of integrating the design into the theme.

I do wish there were more aliens from the older films, but so far I really like the new designs they've come up with, so it mostly evens out. Especially the porgs. I freaking love the porgs.

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I also love porgs! [face_love] They’re kind of like birds gone ewok.
    I have a soft spot for the fathiers, too. So huge and powerful! And that sadness in their eyes... They might have overdone that a little bit, but I don’t mind.
    The vulptices are just gorgeous!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    PymParticles likes this.
  12. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    In terms of costume design there are some things I love and some I don't. For example, I love the Guavians but the Kanjiclub don't do it for me. On the other hand, the creature design has been superb. Sidano Ithano is one of my favourite looking designs ever, and other guys like Unkar Plutt and Sarco Plank look really interesting to me. The Abednedo are possibly my new favourite race too. They all fit into Star Wars really well, and they all feel very real. I guess to a certain extent there could be more colours involved, but that's really my only criticism.

For locations, there hasn't been somewhere I haven't liked. Even Canto Bight delighted me.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  13. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    I know a number of fans have a problem with this thing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it. I think the Y-Wing has been replaced considering how old and unreliable they were after the Clone Wars. IIRC, the last we heard of Y-Wings in canon was that their manufacturer sold off their remaining stock to the Rebellion.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  14. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I know Rian is a big David Lynch fan. The Snoke throne room was definitely inspired by the Black Lodge's red room in Twin Peaks--you have the same bright red walls, dark floor. On his instagram, he makes references to Lynch's work. And he cast Laura Dern.

15. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I think the form of the bomber was a really cool vehicle design. Like a not-aerodynamic B-17 or B-29.

Maybe a space-based bomber shouldn't have free falling gravity bombs though. Also, who thought up that trigger mechanism?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Shaak Ti and TheLastHaterOfZero like this.
  16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    You mean the exact throne room that had literal pits of doom in it? And nothing else other than a magnifying glass?

17. ByteSizeRick

ByteSizeRick Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    I honestly don't remember pits of doom in that room, so if they are there, I apologize. I meant more that the room itself felt like a soundstage. One that could "exist" in real life as opposed to the prequel spaces. I think I prefer the more "fairy tale" look and coloring of the prequels, to be honest, and would love to see that variety and "pop" brought up to modern visual effects standards.

{Quantum/MIDI} and BlurryUFOs like this.
  18. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yes, haha, Kylo toses a PG into one of the pits. I have no idea why they'd be there, but I'll admit I did think it was cool. :p

I can understand what you mean by that. I have no idea how much they're spending on the ST, but the money is definitely on screen in the sets.

19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I honestly might be a bigger fan of Snoke's throne room than the Emperor's.

Krueger and jaqen like this.
  20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
  21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    “David Lynch” was actually my first thought when I saw Holdo and got a taste of her personality.
    RJ is quirky and I like that!

22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    ha! Yeah, Force Projection is how I would have left if I had the chance. If Luke had come back physically he’d have probably had to go down on his bottom, step by step

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I don’t dislike Snoke’s room, but Palpatine’s is better in my opinion. It’s just too classic.

Avnar likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Now I'm sad we never got to see that scene.

25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah, I don't have any major critiques of Palpatine's throne room, but I do get a better sense of spacial orientation in Snoke's boudoir. And that red!