main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The All-New All-Different Marvel Comics Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by a star war, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Quick maths you’ve lost, but as individual battles go, you are up against a donk of a herald.

Cubby style this bout - for pride

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    cubman987 likes this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Never Forget:
    [​IMG]

cubman987 and Darth Punk like this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I managed to pack and now I'm in the first class lounge eating lobster cocktail

Suck it, Kang and Cap!

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I had a lobster roll the other day.

Anyways, sorry, been busy. Will look at the matchups tonight, but it’s cool if everyone wants to move on too.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Sorry, I’ll get something up for Kang today. After typing up that Cap match I needed a break, lol.

6. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    That's okay. At least for me, odds of judging tomorrow are pretty low.

7. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Let’s all have a lobster break

dp4m, Jordan1Kenobi and heels1785 like this.
  8. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Punk's buyin!
    I want some of those Red Lobster biscuits.
    Which... Doesn't sound like a bad idea soon...

heels1785 and Darth Punk like this.
  9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    WARNING: CONTAINS LOBSTERS

10. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Kang the Conqueror (prepared) vs. Terrax the Tamer

A.k.a. A prepared time travelling genius vs. A dumb brute

Strength

Terrax is stronger, yes, but Kang is still right up there as far as Avengers villains go. The strength difference is not big enough for the match to come down to that.

Let's start with Kang's shields. They're very, very strong. In fact, they're strong enough to stop multiple blows from Mjolnir. I have no idea why Kang was just standing there letting Thor hit him repeatedly, but it didn't do anything. Impressive. You showed that Terrax's axe is powerful, but Mjolnir is equally (or maybe even more) powerful than his axe. So unless Kang just stands there letting Terraz go round after round on him, I din't see how he's gonna penetrate his shield. Hell, Silver Surfer's blast couldn't even penetrate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this is impressive. His shield takes multiple hits from a ****** off Thor and it doesn't even break. Somehow Kang gets past it and gains the upperhand in the fight using one of his gagdets. Even the mighty Thor has a lot of trouble dealing with Kang.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take away his shield and armour, a full on punch from Hulking does absolutely nothing.
    [​IMG]

Skills and reflexes

One thing Kang has a big advantage on over Terrax is skill. Kang is a trained swordsman with great athletic ability and reflexes (he also knows Kang foo). You can see these skills in play in the above example. After he takes the hit from Hulking, he instantly dodges Stature's attack while getting a critical hit of his own in, and then on the next panel he instantly deflects multiple throwing stars with his sword. He's also been able to catch Cap's shield at point blank range. His suit also has a built in system that alerts him of danger allowing him to dodge incoming attacks.

Terrax on the other hand is not a good fighter. His solution is to just smash stuff. I can see him getting really frustrated with Kang's shields and tech, giving Kang opportunities to take the dumb brute down.

Technology, intelligence and prep time

Now are we forgetting his prep time? I can't even begin to explain what Kang can do with prep. Doctor Doom envy's Kang's tech because of how advanced it is. He's been to many futures and has everything you could ever imagine. His base is like Toys R Us, but for evil tech.

Does Kang get to build robots and bring them into battle? I don't see why he wouldn't, because that's what he's done before. It's like Iron Man being allowed his Hulk Buster armour with prep time. Look at Growing Man for example. He built that robot and it was able to go toe-to-toe with Thor, Hercules and Iron Man, etc. He's also created other robots that have defeated the Avengers while he stood back and watched. Kang may be a challenge on his own for Terrax, but add other creations to the mix and he's going to be overwhelmed. I'm not saying he needs the robots with the amount of other tech he has, but if they're an option, then I thought I'd bring it up.

Forgetting all of his other equipment that he doesn't usually have on him, his suit is packed full of gadgets. His built in lasers are very powerful, being able to take down Thor (as seen a couple of examples above). Hercules threw a large piece of machinery at him but Kang simply destroyed it by lifting his hand.

[​IMG]

He's able to remove weapons from the battlefield for a time. Kang's shields are down? Terrax's axe is flying towards him? No problemo.

[​IMG]

I'm a bit iffy on this stuff myself, because I don't think it'd be fair, but he can mess with time a lot. In a fight with Cap (Woo, more Cap feats! Hulking and Thor can't even scratch Kang, but as you'll see below Cap's able to smash his damn suit.)... But as I was saying, in a fight with Cap he's able to banish him from the current time and send him way back where he won't be a problem. He doesn't have to warm up or anything. He wanted Cap gone and off he went. He's done this on multiple occasions. He's also got a gadget that can send himself back in time. If he knows he's messing up, back in time he goes and using those superhuman reflexes of his, he can quickly correct himself. Sending himself back in time in the middle of an intense battle may not be the smartest thing to do, so he may be able to alter this time travel tech to work more efficiently in battle with his prep time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Terrax is a Herald, but he's not the strongest one. We've already seen Kang tank a blast from Silver Surfer, but using a handy laser pistol he was able to knock him back and burn through his skin. Ouch.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Inspector gadget over here has a lot more up his sleeve. He's got other guns that've taken down the Avengers. He's got bombs strong enough to blow up cities. He's got a molecular expander capable of growing any object to enormous size, which he's used to almost squash Cap with his own shield, so how about doing that with Terrax's axe? Oh, and he also has a machine that lets him fight as a giant hologram where he's capable of firing city levelling blasts.

[​IMG]

Kang is a genius. He's one of the best characters to have prepared because of the arsenal he's capable of creating and using. Not only is he a technical genius, but a tactical genius as well. Terrax on the other hand couldn't even solve Big Shaq's maths problems. So tell me, at the end of the day, does an unprepared Terrax bring enough to the table with his strength alone to be able to beat a prepared Kang with all his skills, abilities and tech combined? I don't think so. there's just too damn much Kang can do.

Now get me some lobster!

heels1785 and Darth Punk like this.
  11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
  12. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Oh. Um. Nah. I no longer want lobster.

Juliet316 and Darth Punk like this.
  13. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    ONE PAUNNNNCH

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    BEST SHOW EVA

15. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Let’s light this candle...

Godzilla vs. Silver Surfer
    One can trash cities, the other can trash planets
    Dr. Doom (prep) vs. Drax The Destroyer
    Hela vs. Captain America (prep)
    You went down swinging (about three seconds into the fight).
    Terrax vs. Kang the Conqueror (prep)I’m going with Kang, because of him having prep. He’s taken on heralds before, he has proven to have weaponry to hurt heralds, and as far as I know, with prep he can pick up a weapon from somewhere in space and time that can incapacitate Terrax. In summary, prep edge wins this for Kang.

Monica Rambeau vs. Black Widow (forfeit)
    Amadeus Cho (prep) vs. Gamora
    I would have liked to have heard something on this. A good Gamora argument could have swung me. I’m always hearing about how she’s considered the deadliest female in the galaxy or something. Anyway, my gut was, and still is that Hulk Cho with prep has what it takes.
    Rocket Raccoon (prep) vs. Yondu
    Again, would have liked a case made for either
    Ghost Rider (Blaze) vs. Luke Cage (prep)
    Yeah, just no

Spider-Gwen (forfeit) vs. Hulk
    Miguel O'Hara (2099) (prep) vs. Blue Marvel (double prep)
    Pretty sure double prep is wasteful - effective, but a little overkill
    Jessica Drew (forfeit) vs. Red Thunder (forfeit) [is that a draw?] Yes, I do believe it’s a draw
    Eddie Brock (Venom) vs. Firelord
    You’re no fun anymore, cubby

Fin Fang Foom vs. Dazzler (forfeit)
    Graviton vs. Black Panther (prepped) let’s just say, the weight of Inty’s argument pinned this for the win.
    Wonder Man vs. She-Hulk (forfeit)
    Squirrel Girl vs. Hank Pym (prepped) Yeah, about how I judge Squirrel Girl - she’s not going to just turn up and win.

16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Sorry, I wanted to but this week has been crazy busy for me

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Sorry dude. It would have most likely been just for kicks

18. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Godzilla vs. Silver Surfer
    One can trash cities, the other can trash planets

Dr. Doom (prep) vs. Drax The Destroyer
    Assuming this is smart Drax. Dumb Drax is way better and probably wins.

Hela vs. Captain America (prep)
    You went down swinging (about three seconds into the fight).

Terrax vs. Kang the Conqueror (prep)
    Still going to take Terrax because I have yet to see Kang actually come close to KOing anyone in that league. They both have high and low showings and good durability but aside from BFR I think Terrax has the ability to finish better than Kang.

Monica Rambeau vs. Black Widow (forfeit)

Amadeus Cho (prep) vs. Gamora
    I don't think any Gamora argument would swing me.

Rocket Raccoon (prep) vs. Yondu
    Again, would have liked a case made for either

Ghost Rider (Blaze) vs. Luke Cage (prep)
    Yeah, just no

Spider-Gwen (forfeit) vs. Hulk

Miguel O'Hara (2099) (prep) vs. Blue Marvel (double prep)
    Pretty sure double prep is wasteful - effective, but a little overkill

Jessica Drew (forfeit) vs. Red Thunder (forfeit) [is that a draw?] Yes, I do believe it’s a draw

Eddie Brock (Venom) vs. Firelord
    You’re no fun anymore, cubby

Fin Fang Foom vs. Dazzler (forfeit)

Graviton vs. Black Panther (prepped)
    So who wins goes right to the heart of the what it means to be prepped and what it can do. One of the elite preps in the draft vs. Someone completely OP, but who, unlike Terrax, falls apart from time to time. But he's also way stronger than Terrax by miles.

So, what can BP do?

Option 1- Take away Gravy's powers. He's done it with the power cosmic. But this isn't a force that Graviton "has." It is at this point an integral part of who he is. I think that'd make it much more difficult to do that. 1/10 that happens very quickly.

Option 2- Give himself immunity to Gravy's powers. (can we just call him Gravy now? Mashing opponents like potatoes?). Um... I mean not impossible but I haven't seen anything like it so I'm not counting on it. 1/20.

Option 3- Some sort of biochemical weapon. I mean Gravy Man has shields. Even gas is affected by gravity. Unlikely again. 1/15

Option 4- Psionic weapon? It's plausible but these genius types never seem to do it. Magneto did. I assume BP could but I don't know how likely it is. 1/7.

Option 5- Cheap Teleport attack. I mean, Thor distracted Graviton and got him with essentially a serum. It's plausible T'Challa could do the same with THEATRICALITY AND DECEPTION. I don't know that Graviton is initiated. Then again, if Graviton leaves the forcefield up like he should, it still may not matter. 1/6 again.

So I don't think BP's prep alone is sufficient, even with 24 hours. He'd have to either get the forcefield down or reverse it in on Graviton somehow. He has some magic too so that helps in some manner. Plus he's a great military mind and he has a forest to work with for stealth. And Graviton does tend to lower the field when he shouldn't. Then again, Graviton if he would use his powers correctly all the time would be pretty well invincible for this draft. So can BP last long enough for Gravy Train to make a mistake and open himself up to attack? It probably depends on if he's in a Black Panther comic or someone else's. This is a hard fight for BP because it's tough to hard-counter Graviton. Yet it's something in which if he can extend it, Gravy will make a mistake.

So... I dunno, BP is sort of a Mary Sue but a peak-written Graviton is very hard to ambush and there's no team to help. Thor beating him with a drug imo was the writers basically saying "crap we made a guy too strong and now we have to come up with something stupid to beat him. Graviton doesn't have to lose here. So, Graviton wins.

Wonder Man
    vs. She-Hulk (forfeit)

Squirrel Girl vs. Hank Pym (prepped) Yeah, about how I judge Squirrel Girl - she always turns up and wins. #TurntUp #Lit #OnSqueek

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Darth Punk likes this.
  19. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    On squeek... omg lol.

20. Leroy Jenkins Jr

Leroy Jenkins Jr Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    Lol didnt excpect that and yeah im still trying to make better arguments but im not very good at it right now....and im a bit busy at the moment to put in a real argument for either.....also fyi i picked squirrel girl, doorman, and hindslight lad for the lols more than anything else just to see if i could legitimately argue a win for them

21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I feel the GM’s represent their character. If a match is 60/40 on paper, (I could even go 65/35), and there’s a compelling argument made for the underdog, and little or no case made for the favourite, I like to think the characters go into the fight that way too.

Obviously some matches - like Hela vs Cap (prep) are too mismatched for me to fairly judge Cap the winner, but that argument made me feel the GM had decided to go down fighting and (literally) be carried off the field on his shield. Also, it entertained me, but crucially it had me dwell a little longer over my decision in a “what if?” kind of way.

I appreciate work and real life play a part in what we can give to the game, but that variance should even out for everyone over the three months we usually play these things.

@a star war need you to tie-break please.
    Terrax vs Kang the Conqueror (prep)
    Graviton vs. Black Panther (prep)
    Squirrel Girl vs. Hank Pym (prep)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yak. Your probabilities for BP to win this add up to 52.6%. I demand you declare me the victor, based solely on your own probabilistic outcomes.

And if you're seriously wondering how he's going to take down Graviton, maybe the same way he took down Thanos? (yes, temporarily) (but that kind of initial takedown is more than enough to swing this)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Hokage_Kalar likes this.
  23. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    So, there was absolutely no next scan to see the endgame for Thanos. I assume he broke out.
    On the other hand, it did seem to be some sort of mind-affecting device which I forgot he ever used. Likeliness is now significantly higher than 1/7. That actually probably would work and I haven't seen Graviton resist something like that. Sure, I'll flop to Black Panther.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  25. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Ok so just have to vote for Kang and what the heck if we look at editorial intent with Squirrel Girl Hank is well within her grasp. So there you go.So does that leave us with any teams? Let me tabulate the scores and standings back in a bit.