main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Anakin Solo Discussion Thread, v2.0 (Spoilers Allowed; Please See Thread Rules)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    The point of Anakin today? Reveal the profound hidden message! There are some people who really, truly, deeply, emotionally, fervently and passionately, despise Anakin Skywalker-Darth Vader-Anakin 'force ghost' Skywalker. Anakin Solo got to stand in as a substitute sacrifice for grandpa. There was no way to unredeem Skywalker, but his similarly talented and skilled namesake could be slain and kept from becoming one with the force as they felt his grandpa should have been - in an undeserved fashion only in reverse. Evil I tell ya! :mad:. Except that it didn't work. Skywalker remains redeemed and off partying with the best of the Jedi and all they managed to do was kill a Solo and upset a portion of their fanbase including those who thought it was cool to have a NJO link to the past. [face_beatup]

2. EvieSolo

EvieSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    o_O Distracted? *takes a look at the girl, too*

*glances back at silly looking Ewok in uniform; blinks* Nope, sorry. [face_mischief]

[face_talk_hand]

[face_plain] We may be talking about very different things here... Or you've been lying about your 'ship all along... o_O

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    What's 'presonally'? :p

Well, there are about three current spoiler threads on Tahiri. Once you read Revelation without the meds, maybe you can join in on that topic? :p

That's a very twisted analysis. :D I'm not sure if they were capable of that much thought - but if they are, I can see the plot-decision as an attempt to write-out the character-driven legacy of the Darth Vader of the Star Wars Trilogy in order to clear the decks for the whiny, supposedly "sympathetic", brat of the Prequel movies...

Do the powers-that-be actually expect us to like characters like Jacen and Haydenkin? Do they realise how compromised and unpopular Luke Skywalker has become? [face_laugh]

Or will they actually surprise us all with a 'reveal' in Invincible? :eek:

*looks from the girl to Evie and back again, blinking rapidly*

See! That's the real Tahiri! The Grand Admiral had every right to be worried! :p

o_O Distracted? *takes a look at the Ewok, too*

That's a 'yes', then? :D

Perhaps Tahiri flow-walked back and triggered Anakin's dreams in Conquest? [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

4. MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN

MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    Hey I never thought of that but it is very possible.

If they really wanted to please the pro-return fans they should have him somehow come back in Legacy. It would be fun to see Cade and Anakin as partners or even better if they were enemies.

5. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I don't think DH will want a real hero (even one who is their own creation) to steal the limelight from their angsty anti-hero. I mean, who would want the miserable wretch of a Skywalker to continue his Hamlet act when Anakin could just push him aside, take control of the surviving Jedi and lead them to victory? Emo pretty boy Cade may please the eyes of many, but as a main hero he is something of a dud so far.

If they would bring Anakin back - and bringing him back is never too late - then as I see it, it should happen either in Invincible (I think it's more likely that asteroid an will hit Earth and wipeout the civilization before the release of the novel than Anakin making a return in Invincible) or in a new book that would put his resurrection soon after SbS and hide it from his family.

6. Jikit

Jikit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    Jedi Master Secret has something to say. I believe that this thread is still alive so that means that PEOPLE STILL CARE!!!!! If you have given up and left the cause then may God haver mercy on your soul. I can honestly say that I haven't read a star wars book since SbS because I was HEART BROKEN!!!!

But I've keep in touch with what's goin on from time to time and I know that that B**** animal lover has gone to the dark side and he's taken Anakins woman with him. I honestly don't think Anakin is gone I just think that they are going to use him when sales are down and then BAM everyone will suddenly buy the issue when the bring him back to life. Mark my words it will happen. Ben and Anakin vs Jacen.

7. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    So within the current storyline, what are some possibilities Anakin could be resurrected in a believable way?

8. Jikit

Jun 28, 2005
    50% Chance if we get a ****ty writer. Changes jump to about a 76% with alright writer. If we gett a GREAT WRITER who loves Anakin Solo (yes you have to have a fan to do him justice) then chances jump to 90%.

With Jacen going to the dark side and Ben needing a master it would be perfect time for Anakin took come back. Plus the New Sith Order is coming for blood.

9. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    I could almost see it, but I think that Anakin without Tahiri is... a partnership of two characters, more so than any other relationship I can think of in the entire Star Wars mythos... with the possible exception of Artoo/Threepio...

;)

She defines him. As I've said before, I fear they would separate them for "impact" or out of some editorial cynicism, if they do bring him back. Star Wars deserves happy endings!

Define "believable"? There are plenty of ways it could be done - Force-ghost and clone is the obvious one. But, as someone already said, there aren't very many authors I would trust to do it... :p

- The Imperial Ewok

10. Jikit

Jun 28, 2005
    I mean I can even see Anakin coming back as himself. I want him to but I'd rather there be more build up before he comes back. Because like all great things he will return probably with vengance. Mean look at what Jacen has done he has destroyed everything that Anakin worked to protect. He's takin away his love. Ben has a reason because Jacen took his mother.

Jacen took Anakins
    Woman
    Postion in the books
    His power
    His legacy
    And must importantly his Galaxy.

With Jacen and The New Sith Order I have to say.

Anakin will must likely come back in 1-5 years depending on how the story goes because wither the authors want to admit it or not. Anakin just so happens to be the must powerful Good Jedi left with Ben coming a close second. I'm not being a fan boy. But in the EU Anakin Solo is basically just waiting for the perfect story to be resurrected in

11. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Jacen also took his ship :p

12. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    I agree! :D

So, to pick up the discussion from fanboyskywalker's thread Is Anakin Solo coming back -- how could they do it realistically?, as it's been locked by the Mods...

There are several ways they could bring back Anakin Solo, within the parameters of established Star Wars storytelling:

1.) Never dead - we only have Anakin's own POV of how serious his injury was, and then his sudden disappearance in the Force; and we know that Vergere can both heal powerful Force-sensitives with her tears, and hide them in the Force.

2.) Revived by the Yuuzhan Vong - a Vader-like transformation, although it wouldn't necessarily destroy his physical or spiritual humanity.

3.) Force-ghost reborn in new body - perhaps his katra is bonded with to his lightsaber or something.

4.) Flow-walking changes the past - Jacen and/or Tahiri does something to the timeline that means Anakin never died at Myrkr.

Also from that thread:

I think the basic problem is that he was the character who caught the audience's imagination, and who represented hope in the series - and it wasn't just because they'd planned the story that way: Salvatore was running to catch up after they changed the story-arc (I suspect he was originally meant to kill Jacen at Sernpidal), while Stackpole wrote Anakin the way he did to try and persuade the editors not to get rid of the character.

I felt that the series still had potential at that point, and that the actual impact of Star by Star was played out well; but while there have been some good and even great novels (I loved Exile and Inferno) they've not really recaptured the optimism since then - not really with any consistency, anyway.

I also think that people could accept a "Sith" Anakin, if he was written mainly as a human being, rather than a slave of ideology - Bane without the malice and descent into dogma, for example; just a Force-user who couldn't make the move to become a Jedi?

"Sith" is really just an insulting term for "Jedi who doesn't follow the rules", showing them still as prisoners of the Jedi mindset.

If Anakin could break that mental prison, the colour of his lightsaber wouldn't matter! [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

13. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Edit: i shoulda read rules first. My bad. i got nothing.

14. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I think there are lots of viable ways of bringing Anakin back. I would prefer the "never dead" route, but a clone or resurrection through flow-walking miracle would work for me too. At this point, I would take pretty much anything. I would even accept a solid, certain appearance as a Force Ghost from him.

Thrawn McEwok wrotes that Anakin represented hope and there is little optimism to be found in the current novels. But isn't this what DR was and is after? Anakin was killed because he represented hope in NJO. He was killed, because the hope had to be killed. The LotF books are not intended to be optimistic. There are no real happy, optimistic moments in the entire series, which is quite an achievement - I need to raise my hat to that. I'm accused of being too negative, but it's DR and it's authors in later NJO, DN and LotF who are the real, uncrowned masters of negativity.

Anakin represents all the positive things that DR don't want in it's novels. DR doesn't want any hope mixed in the misery it is selling. All the cool kids are emos in DR's neighbourhood, it seems. Even a Force Ghost Anakin would be a symbol of hope, he would be a light in the darkness of DR's cosmos. So he can't appear as a resurrected Force Ghost, NJO's very own JC of N. In flesh or in spirit he would shatter the cozy little trainwreck that DR has build of it's novels and put Ben the Boy Wonder in shadow for the rest of that character's lifetime.

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Okay, I'd like to actually offer a serious suggestion for how this thread might....

Help Bring Anakin Solo back

If people really want to bring back Anakin Solo, I think a good option wouldn't be to go to Del Ray but to write letters to Dark Horse comics. Dark Horse comics is a much smaller publication and they also have a significantly larger leeway over their particular portion of the EU in Legacy. I think that given Jon Ostrander still inhabits this place from time to time and Randey Stradley listens on the Dark Horse boards, it's much more likely that they would be the ones to in fact help with an Anakin resurrection.

While I don't know if petitions ever work in this day and age, I think a good option is to genuinely write physical letters to the Dark Horse comics.

"Legacy"
    c/o Dark Horse Comics
    10956 SE Main Street
    Milwaukie, OR

For the sake of this thread, I actually believe that fans who want a ressurection should C&P their letters they write in online then print up and sign into this thread and then say that they have actually sent a physical copy to the publishers (or at least have said as much to the people of Dark Horse comics). These letters should express the following sentiments as well:

1. That you would like Anakin Solo to return in the Legacy comic book series. Specifying a physical resurrection or a spiritual appearance.

2. That you would buy not only the Trade Paperback of a work that he appears but the physical issues as well.

3. That it would encourage you to buy more of the product in turn.

There are numerous ways for Anakin Solo to return that might well be used. Darth Krayt could use Sith alchemy in hopes of creating a new Skywalker to brainwash and control, Anakin's lightsaber might be "haunted" and the spirit of the man passes into the next holder of it, or some Force miracle might occur with the misue of an ancient Jedi relic on Myrkyr.

The chances of Anakin Solo returning in the current books is almost neglible but that's not necessarilly the case in Legacy comics. I think that we have a chance to make our voices heard and I'm willing to devote the time and effort to writing a letter, buying the postage stamp, and mailing it.

How about you?

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    sounds like an interesting idea. Anakin would do well in comic format.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah, I doubt he'll displace Cade and it may only be a one-shot issue but that would open the ground up for MORE appearances later on.

18. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    I agree that a great idea. :D

19. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Great plan. I don't think whether Legacy is the right place for Anakin, but bravo for coming up with this!=D=

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I wouldn't want him to displace Cade. It would be nice if Cade helped his kinsman adapt to the new era and maybe team up from time to time.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, Anakin can become Cade's Char Aznable. Dueling and mentoring at once!

22. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Yeah at THE LEAST we should have a force ghost anakin show up. Can't he come back with some cool info on the Force like Qui-Gon did between episode 1 and 3 where he was figuring out how to come back from the great beyond, which he shared with Yoda? That would at least imply that Anakin was kind of still going and doing great things.

I'm not keen on the clone idea. But if they do it let's hope they make it a struggle for Anakin to accept the fact that he is a duplicate. Make him earn it for the reader so it doesnt feel like a stunt. It's not my fav idea though. I'd rather have a force ghost or the real deal.

I hope the next series revolves around Anakin coming back. Hey, the brought back Boba due to fan demand! Though I wonder if that was more Veitch or LFL's doing? And while we're talking about bringing back Anakin, someone bring back Veitch, too. lol. though i get the sense relations between him and LFL are strained or something??

23. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    I think they were - they were trying to create a NEW hope, called Jacen Solo?

I'm in. If anyone's interested, I might knock up a quick guide to letter-writing (key pieces of advice: if you think you need advice, then PLAN what to say, and KEEP IT SIMPLE on the page).

One thing I would add, though, is that I don't think Anakin is complete without Tahiri. To bring Anakin back, but take away his other half, wouldn't be much better than the situation we have already.

I don't think that would work for me. :mad:

- The Imperial Ewok

24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I think that Anakin would be fine without Tahiri, and would deal with her loss much better than Tahiri has done with losing Anakin.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Also, let's face it, I think that we'd be probably asking WAYYYyyyy too much to have a 16 year old resurrected (though if he's resurrected in flashback, he'd be a much more reasonable 24 year old) getting with a 30 year from 100 years past. Neo-Anakin would have the benefit of also a new love interest potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.