main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The anti-Star Wars media bias continues!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Durwood, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Amen, Shelley.

Thanks. :)

2. Mapper

Mapper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    I can understand how you feel. All the bashing that goes on here can drive people crazy.

The reason I think the LOTR is discussed so much here is that right now we are kind of in a Star Wars downtime. The movie is out and over with at least until the DVD comes. And it is about 8 or 9 months before we start to get any real news on EP. III. And in the mean time we try to compare the two series.

3. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I believe lucas has even said that Jackson doesn't do things the hollywood way, that's why he made such a "Good Movie" in Fotr, that's right God said that someone else made a good movie other than his own creations! gasp!

I read that. Good for George for showing he has much more class than any of the media people who slam him to high heaven. Lucas-bashers in the media and on message boards have to resort to saying "he's only pretending to be polite and modest." They want him to be the egotistical jerk they claim he is, and when he isn't, they get even nastier.

As for the whole wizard throwout character of Gandalf, Alec Gusiness character of Obi-Wan is based on largely on Gandalf, I don't seem to recall anyone bitching about him.

You're mixing up what I said about "throwaway characters" and the Wizard Smackdown. Gandalf is not one of the throwaway characters at all; in fact, he was my favorite. I was referring to the Wizard Smackdown between Gandalf and Sarumen, which I found downright embarrassing, and I know that if Lucas had included anything like that in one of his movies, the same critics who were slavering over it in FOTR would have ripped him to shreds.

4. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001

The reason I think the LOTR is discussed so much here is that right now we are kind of in a Star Wars downtime. The movie is out and over with at least until the DVD comes. And it is about 8 or 9 months before we start to get any real news on EP. III. And in the mean time we try to compare the two series.

I understand what you're saying. However--though I personally dislike the EU immensely, for the most part, the EU forums seem to be a gathering of people who really like the books and want to discuss them. Any bashing is usually confined to one or two threads. If someone complains about the EU, they are asked, "Why spend your time on it if you don't like it?" People seem to be capable of holding on interesting conversations without "EU bashers" coming in.

The movie forums seem to be a place for people to come and rip the movies, and Lucas, apart, with bashers dominating nearly every thread. And if someone complains, it's, "These forums would be boring without bashers."

5. Mapper

May 17, 2002
    I have no answer for why people post about movies and such that they hate. All I know is that is goes on everywhere about everything. For the first couple of months I hated reading anything here because of the bashers. But after a while I just didn't care. They aren't going to leave, and nothing they say is going to change my mind, so for the most part I ignore them. All I know is in November, I will buy AOTC on DVD and enjoy every minute of it.

Actually I do know why bashers come here. Theforce.net is probably the biggest and most well known Star Wars fan site. That in turn makes it the biggest target for those who don't like Star Wars.

6. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    All i will say is overall BOTH trilogy kickass ! :D

I feel bad for people who like one over the other. :(

oh well your loss :)

7. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Wow, I definately agree with every last one of Shelley 's posts. George Lucas and Star Wars are bashed entirely too much on these here Star Wars message boards. I don't understand why someone would waste their time discussing how much they hate the PT or GL when then could stay over in the OT forums and talk about how much they like those movies. Sure, it's their prerogative, but can't these people find something more productive to do with their lives?

8. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I was referring to the Wizard Smackdown between Gandalf and Sarumen, which I found downright embarrassing, and I know that if Lucas had included anything like that in one of his movies, the same critics who were slavering over it in FOTR would have ripped him to shreds.

You mean like the Yoda duel? ;)

:p

Well, I can't speak for all bashers, certainly, but, being a Star Wars fan, and by that I mean someone who likes the general idea of Star Wars and the OT, I like to discuss the various flaws and virtues of the prequel movies. I like to discuss how it was done, how it could have been done, the advantages and disadvantages of these different ways, etc. In other words, I want to DISCUSS.

9. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    That's the difference between you ElfStar and the typical basher. You sound open-minded, but what I would define as a typical basher comes into a PT forum and basically says "The PT sucks and you're an idiot if you like it".
    We're here to discuss, but sometimes I get sick of people always focusing on the negative.

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes, Elfstar, these forums are for discussion.

However, it seems to me that for most bashers, they just come in here to complain and bash--not just the movies, but Lucas himself. And a good number of them seem to like some other movie series more.

I don't understand why the EU forums are dominated by people who like the books--not all of the books, of course, but a majority of them--while the movie forums are dominated by people who hate more SW movies than they like and have no respect for George Lucas.

And please don't tell me that's not the case. I have seen any number of bashers talk about how ANH and ESB (the only SW movies they like, and some only like ESB) are good because Lucas rode the coattails of and surrounded himself with talented people who "stood up to him"; and all the rest suck because he got rid of all the talented, "brave" people and is surrounded by "yes men."

Lucas doesn't deserve any credit for what's good in SW, and all the blame for what's bad in it, according to these bashers. They alternate between "Lucas does nothing but wander around the set with a dumb look on his face" to "Lucas is involved with everything instead of delegating it to talented people, and that's why the prequels suck."

Lucas gets cut no slack. And I mean NONE. (Meanwhile other directors get cut all kinds of slack.) If you like the prequels, you have no taste and would love anything Lucas gave you--you think they are perfect, no matter how many (hundreds of) times you list what you didn't like about them. If you praise or defend Lucas, you're a "mindless Lucas worshipper." I have seen almost no worship of Lucas on these boards. But interestingly, I've seen plenty of worship of Peter Jackson.

Finally, I simply don't understand why people who hate the prequels and adore LOTR don't simply go over to TORn. I like SW better than LOTR. That's why I'm on a SW board, not hanging around on TORn saying how great the prequels are and how much better I like them than LOTR.

11. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't actually think most bashers are like that. And I don't think most gushers blindly praise Lucas. I think what happens is people overreact to others opinions, which causes the other person to overreact in turn, and ends up making both gusher and basher alike looking foolish. I'm certainly not immune from this always, but I think if people would give others the benefit of the doubt more often we'd have a lot less problems.

12. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Well, I'm afraid I can't "prove" that FotR has more heart, since that's obviously something that comes down to personal preferance. I simply think FotR has more heart than the prequels.

---But you can; in the way the director uses the cameras to capture the actors at close range, by the way the actors deliver the line, by having real environments to wander in, by creating tension at the right places...

13. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Actually I do know why bashers come here. Theforce.net is probably the biggest and most well known Star Wars fan site. That in turn makes it the biggest target for those who don't like Star Wars.

Yes, you're right. And that includes the media, which looks at this site and assumes it speaks for all SW fans. It takes its cue from the basher-heavy movie forums and assumes that most SW fans hated the prequels, which isn't true at all.

14. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    But you can; in the way the director uses the cameras to capture the actors at close range,

You mean where the director zooms in on Ian McKellen's nose hairs?

by the way the actors deliver the line,

Cate Blanchett, aka Galadriel on Thorazine. The two indistinguishable hobbit tagalongs who were irritatingly cutesy. Viggo Mortenson brooding handsomely but not being anything spectacular. Sean Bean's overacting. Sean Astin mistaking an Irish? English? whatever accent for lovable goofiness. Elijah Wood not changing his facial expression or tone of voice throughout the entire movie.

I thought Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, and, surprisingly, Liv Tyler were all good. I also thought Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, Christopher Lee, and Frank Oz were all good in AOTC.

by having real environments to wander in,

How is that superior? Besides, FOTR is set on Earth, albeit Middle Earth. SW is set on any number of different planets. And the actors seemed to do just fine even when the environments were entirely CGI, which very few of them were.

by creating tension at the right places...

What tension?

15. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    I found the buildup to the fight in the mine quite tense, for one. Actually, that whole sequence is my favorite in the film, followed closely by the opening battle and the Shire.

16. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I didn't. I thought it dragged on interminably. Just have the damn fight, already! And it went on much too long.

17. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Elijah Wood not changing his facial expression or tone of voice throughout the entire movie.

You know I've already proven you wrong on that. Most of the other stuff you spouted is just your personal preference.

I don't know, I didn't think AOTC was that bad, but I didn't think it was that great either. Unfortunately that instantly gets me labelled as a basher. See the problem here?

18. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "I have no answer for why people post about movies and such that they hate."

you should ask shelley, just about every post from shelley is some kind of anti-FOTR hatred.

and then shelley asks why people post their negative opinions about sw on a sw board.

tell me shelley, why do you feel the need to repeatedly bash FOTR on a star wars board?

at least the people who dont like the sw installments have come to the right place to express themselves.

re the topic, the anti-star wars media bias certainly didnt seem to be around for the se releases... no, they are only "biased" when you dont agree with them. but guess what, when it comes to the PT it not only the media that didnt like them. MANY sw fans are pretty unhappy with the films too. i guess they have some kind of anti-star wars bias?

give me a break.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Man I tell you, I would hate to have any of your collective hangups.

20. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    if you were referring to me, why is it a hangup to want to express your feelings about a movie?

some of you take this way too seriously.

21. Mapper

May 17, 2002
    They have a troll...

wait, never mind its just DrEvazan.

:D

22. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    you should ask shelley, just about every post from shelley is some kind of anti-FOTR hatred.

And just about every post from DrEvazan is either SW hatred or directed at me. Or both.

tell me shelley, why do you feel the need to repeatedly bash FOTR on a star wars board?

Because I see it elevated above SW on a SW board, and I don't think it deserves to be. I don't go to LOTR boards and ruin everyone's discussions with "God, what's wrong with you, LOTR sucks! If you had any taste, you'd leave for SW! Peter Jackson has no talent, he just rode the coattails of talented people!"

at least the people who dont like the sw installments have come to the right place to express themselves.

How is this the "right" place? Considering how EU bashing is not welcome on the EU forums, why is it that movie forums are overrun with people who hate, despise, and loathe more than half the SW movies, and who viciously bash Lucas himself, and who act all superior to people who (gasp!) like the movies?

re the topic, the anti-star wars media bias certainly didnt seem to be around for the se releases... no, they are only "biased" when you dont agree with them.

The anti-SW bias is not directed at the OT. Not anymore. During the mid-80s, before the OT achieved "classic" status, there were some snarks here and there. It is directed at the prequels. In fact, the media uses the OT to bash the prequels.

but guess what, when it comes to the PT it not only the media that didnt like them. MANY sw fans are pretty unhappy with the films too.

And many more are perfectly happy with them. Not that you'd know it by the bashers who dominate these boards with their hatred, thus driving people who like the movies away. I have met many people who left these forums because they were sick of the bashing, the hatred, and the elevation of other movies above SW. And I know there are many more.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I would think the people who can't enjoy themselves while watching a SW or LOTR film are the ones who take it too seriously.

I am just glad I don't have problems like that.

24. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
  25. DarthJerm

DarthJerm Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2001
    I'm a long time lurker, and an occasional poster.
    Lord Of the Rings is awesome. One of the best movies, ever, period.
    George Lucas...well let's just say that he created my favorite films of all time. He's bashed out of sheer jealousy. Episode I was not as good as the other films, but, really, who cares. Any faults with I were made up for with II. November 12 will be a day long remembered. 2 great movies to watch on DVD...too bad I probably won't be able to really get into either set until 2 days later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.