main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Bendu

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Jul 17, 2016.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    And the Jedi want a universe where everybody is free and works together, which is no more natural, and I'd argue actually more unnatural since it requires learning tolerance and compromise.

The selfish, might makes right/Darwinism attitude of the Sith is grounded in self interest, which is entirely natural IMO.

One side is more instinctual and self serving, the other is more about understanding selflessness. Another duality.

Yoda states that things like fear, anger, and aggression are of the Dark Side. Those feelings are natural, the Dark Side is natural, why those that follow it would be unnatural is a leap in logic I'm not following.

Plus, the midi-chlorians reside in all living things, they allow for life to exist and one's connection to the Force. Negative emotions are of the Dark Side of the Force. I think it natural that sentients would inevitably discover the Dark Side and use it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    ikr, **** those guys, trying to make everyone tolerant and want to compromise.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I know you're joking, but to clarify what the Jedi want is a product of civilization, whereas the Sith are essentially social Darwinists.

My point there is that what is "natural" can be evil and what is "unnatural" can be good. Though what is good and evil can endlessly be debated, as to whether morality is absolute or relative, and if it is relative, should other moral codes that don't align with yours be tolerated.

But it's irrelevant to the greater point that within the scope of what is natural, I think there's enough evidence to make that case that it all is.

The Dark Side is an inalienable aspect of the Force. It may be in balance or out of balance with the light, but it always exists. The Force is a natural energy field generated by all living things.

Negative emotions are of the Dark Side and make one stronger in the Dark Side.

The Sith are a sect built around adherence to the Dark Side and the accumulation of power, which stems from the basic fear of loss.

The Jedi adhere to one side of the Force, the Sith to the other. They are in absolute opposition to each other and thus cannot coexist. Maz states that the Sith, Empire and First Order are all of the Dark Side and all are manifestations engaging in a fight that has gone on for over a thousand of years.

Despite the Sith being destroyed, another Dark Side entity merely takes their place.

The Sith are not some abomination. They are followers to a side of the Force and the Jedi follow the other, opposing side. When the Sith are destroyed, a new manifestation to represent the Dark Side arises and fills the vacuum.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Sith by default follow both sides of the Force(Palpatine attempted to initially lore Anakin in ROTS in the opera house), since they started out as Jedi Knights and Masters so they would've taken that knowledge and gained new knowledge by practicing new found ideas and abilities by harnessing their anger, hate, pain ect ect, stuff that was forbidden by the Jedi Order and their "narrow dogmatic view of the Force" and "all aspects" and "great mystery". Maul does something similar to Ezra on Malachor with "practice their beliefs". A new religion and philosophy was developed by these dark Jedi Knights or Lords whatever they called themselves before the Order of Bane(where its reduced to an order of just two beings at any give (life)time). But the Sith Order was born out've the Jedi Order, an inverted and shadowy reflection. Quite a few Jedi turned to the Sith again, Vos, Ventress, Anakin, Dooku and the the whole order was compromised including the Council.

The Bendu, appears to be more like the Mortis family, ambiguous, neither good nor bad, but a bit of both. But its too early tell though, is this Bendu his name or does he belong to a religion, or does he believe he is the religion and wants to be followed and worshiped as a kinda Force god. Maybe he's seducing Kanan by clouding his mind with different views . Am not sure how deep Rebels can be, as its mostly light hearted shorts that just teases and flirts with SW lore and name characters. This Bendu may indeed though turn out to be the main antagonist, as I think its a bit strange that only know he comes into play AFTER the Jedi's power has been broken and the rise of the Sith and Force as a religion is being suppressed and erased by the Sith and their atheist regime.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    According to one rumoured spoiler for Season three

The Bendu turns to the dark side (apparently)

6. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe he wants to be set free like The Son.

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I think in season 3 we will find out more on the Bendu and the Green Mists of Dathomir. With Filoni, both TCW and Rebels series has given us more canon force powers and more force philosophy than what we have gotten in the seven movies.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Very interesting sequence with Bendu this episode. How does he disappear as soon as Kanan and Ezra see Maul? Is Bendu a kind of force ghost?

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I hope not- he actually physically destroyed Kanan's sonic emitter thingy in the past episodes- ghosts shouldn't do physical things like that unless they like, possess someone.... Ok who knows what ghosts can do really.... Maybe he just left because he was not interested in their discussion. He may have also hid his presence from the Maul by using the Force who knows- he is mystical creature but I think he is no ghost
    I don't like that idea. TCW was not so great with it's Force "explanations" and Rebels is hardly better with it's overall bit more childish tone. Besides many force powers and philosophy were already created in EU/legends.

10. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I don't think we're going to ever get a full rundown on exactly what the Bendu is and what he can or can't do. In many ways he's just a personification of the Force outside of the Jedi and Sith divide and that just because those are two sects they are not the only two by any means. At the moment he seems right on the verge between a powerful and ancient (but completely natural) being and outright supernatural and I wouldn't want them to make it too conclusive either way.

11. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Bendu is Snoke.

Darth Basin likes this.
  12. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I often wonder if he is, or somehow related.

A curious facet, neither the giant krykna spiders or convorees where around when Maul was there and Bendu just vanished from plain sight. Maul seemed very curious & suspicious, " This is a strange place". I wonder what he was feeling and thinking.

13. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I have had some thoughts about this guy that I wanted to put out. I am more confused, I think that he may be some ancient species that was more prominent in the far past. Also, I am sure that there has to be more of them across all the different planets. It would be cool to meet more of them.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I have said this before elsewhere and it never seems to get noticed -- but to me the first thing to jump out by way of comparisons to previous mythos is that

The Bendu = Tom Bombadil

Especially the way he kind of laughed at the Holocron

I remember Gandalf and Galadriel didn't even want to touch the One Ring -- but Tom Bombadil considered it a trinket. Much in the same way that the Bendu held onto it and didn't much care one way or the other.

My only real problem with the Bendu - who is a character I like - is that he might be a corporeal being. I think he is manifesting on Attalon and likely one of these same apparitions like the others Father, Son, Daughter, the Mime Ladies, etc
    But none of them really care about the others existence as they have no reason to.

I'd like to one day see, because it is inevitable that Chopper Base will be abandoned, The Bendu reappear on some other world as an entirely different iteration of itself.

15. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Interesting theory. But Bendu hiding from Maul seems to indicate a fearful creature or an insidious one or both.

16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I never got the impression that the Bendu feared anything to be honest. At least from what we have seen of him thus far he doesn't seem to fearful of other force users. Maybe curious more so.

17. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Bendu would destroy Maul ;)

18. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015

Ffft, yeah, well, IF HE FELT SO MOTIVATED. Bendu's giving me the impression that the day he 100% helps Kanan and Ezra is like the day Thanos gets out of his chair. He's always there whenever Kanan and Ezra have a question, but then leaves / sends them away to deal with their problems on their own. I wonder if he keeps a mental tally on Kanan and Ezra, like "+8 you survived the Krykna, -10 you went through with that Holocron merge," etc. Is he trying to determine their worthiness for... um... something? Is this his form of entertainment? We know why Thrawn is observing the Ghost crew, but why is Bendu? The guy's gotta have some stake in the galaxy at large; else, I should think he'd hide from Kanan and Ezra, too. I'd welcome some character development for Bendu; to me, he's a potentially interesting character in danger of becoming a plot device.

19. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    I would love to see some interaction between Bendu and Master Yoda.

20. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I think you're giving Maul too much credit, there. I doubt Bendu is afraid of the likes of him, nor is his purpose on Atollon to hide.

21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Bendu is probably the wiser and more powerful of the two.

22. Knight of Wren

Knight of Wren Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 13, 2016
    Haven't totally developed the idea, but I've been wondering if perhaps the presence of a dark side user like Maul and light side users like Ezra and Kanan could have somehow "canceled out" the Bendu's presence, or something to that effect? Not really sure how it all would work exactly though, seeing as how the Bendu represents a neutral aspect of the force....

23. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul's credit is already proven and continues to be as he remains a very potent and powerful enigmatic Dark Side figure. Maul is fear, he's a weapon of destruction plain and simple. Bendu does nothing but hide and remain aloof on Atollon. I saw no Spiders going after Maul, wasnt like Bendu challenged anybody or somehow his powers kept Maul away from the planet or somehow rendered him powerless at the Rebel base. He quickly disappeared leaving Ezra and Kanan to their fates. I find more critical this heaping of credit to this new creature that so far as done really squat. Maybe Pretendalorian's theory is also a factor as its and interesting idea. Maul's darkness may of been too much for Bendu who retreated before the approaching darkness . Too much Dark Side is chaos after all.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    But how? Since Bendu is an actual creature.

25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015

Got no argument there. I am thinking the same thing myself.