main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Case for Why The Force Awakens Will Be the Greatest Star Wars Movie Ever Made

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    That's exactly what Disney is intending though, isn't it? Or, restarting, if you will.

For my part, I am relying on this movie to get into SW again. And so far, it looks pretty damn promising. Do i think it'll knock the OT's socks off? No. Those movies had such a profound impact on me as a child that i don't think anything can top it. So when the PT came along and....well, disgraced my childhood (for lack of better wording), i totally lost interest in all of it. Again, it doesn't need to exceed the OT in my view but it damn well needs to show some backbone and smart storytelling coupled with a "less is more" approach.

yassir.khan likes this.
  2. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    And much of the PT fanbase wants TFA to fail with audiences so they can feel better about the PT getting bashed for over a decade. What's your point?

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The audience has said over and over again that they totally enjoy all 6 movies and therefore have made them among the most successful movies of all time. Places they still hold even many years after they were first released. As discussed on the box office thread each movie has been huge at the box office and by all objective measures of success from home video, TV and all levels of merchandise.

This audience as a whole are Star Wars "fans".

The divisions are nice and fun for we fans to argue about but that is simply taking the audience as a whole they dividing into fractions based on any one person's personal bias.

Which is fine and what fandom is all about. It's really no different from any other fandom especially long running ones with multiple incarnations like Doctor Who or Star Trek.

There will be no surprise when TFA does the same thing thanks to the original 6 movies building the base over 38 years that the new movies will stand upon then become part of going forward.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    [General audiences] totally enjoy all 6 movies [at some level of enjoyment. Pop cultural references about the prequels falling somewhere lower on the enjoyment scale and being perceived as an inferior product relative to the OT are widespread and long-lived, having endured for a decade to the extent that it is almost possible to find a positive mainstream media reference to the prequels.]

That would be my edit

HGST, Artoo-Dion , Heero_Yuy and 2 others like this.
  5. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    In this case, I trust the numbers, over anyone's personal experience visiting their local Walmart:

https://twitter.com/MikeKlimo/status/671799288398262273

The fact is TFA is not like a sequel to Fantastic 4 where they're struggling to get it made because the previous movie was so bad. It's not even in the category of Tron 3 or The Matrix franchise. There's a lot of hyperbole that goes around on the internet and I think it's important to make the distinction, or else the meme of these things all being equal catches on quickly. TFA is in a good position right now for success, after many years of PT. With Disney making a Star Wars movie a year, will the ST be able to say the same thing in 10 years? (I hope so, but definitely seems like they're prioritizing cashing in over anything else)

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't think this film has a chance to be the greatest, most beloved, SW movie. There's just too much nostalgia tied up in the originals to wade through.

Maybe one day when us originalists have become one with the Force, the new generation can get beyond that? But right now it's just not possible in my opinion. Too many memories.

Knightstalker137 likes this.
  7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The impact of these films won't be felt until the 10 year Olds who watched them grow up.

Force Smuggler and ShaneP like this.
  8. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002

Meh, you can do it. People said TNG Star Trek crew would never be as beloved as OG crew, but it basically has been.

I think this one doesn't have a chance moreso because it's simply setting the board for the other two movies in a lot of ways. That's the main reason.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I didn't hate the PT's, there were things I did like about them.

10. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    TFA Greatest Star Wars movie ever made.....uh yeahhh no lol.

11. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Star Trek has a heart that runs deeper than mere explosions, phasers and teleporters. Most early TV trek portrayed that. Most early films portrayed that. Then sales dwindled and they restarted/rebooted it (multiple times!) each losing some of the immeasurable essence that made Trek Trek. In the end we had a couple of films that superficially where fun and interesting, but after time has past - we realise the soul was not there. Not bad, just not... "Trek".

For Trek, swap Wars. JJ has done it again, and it's not his fault. Someone sold out for 4B silver pieces and we are now reaping what was sown.

12. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

Yeah your "numbers" show the prequels have only sold 58% as well as the original trilogy. Like I said, it's not that no one likes them, but your statistics pretty much proved my point. Over 40% of consumers opted skip the prequels.

13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be an absolutely fantastic film and this new trilogy will be the best trilogy of the Star Wars Saga.

[​IMG]

14. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I could see tfa being overall as entertaining as a new hope if not moreso. However, the first Star Wars and its sequels had truly amazing performances and a lot of heart in the story. They weren't perfect, but in some ways they were magical. I'm skeptical of this one being magical... Though I admit mission impossible 3 had some magical moments (another movie written by Abrams) so we'll see

15. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    The move really hinges on us liking the new leads, because the OT3 aren't going to be in the movies forever, so if audiences end up hating the new 3, it could cause internet backdraft.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    well, more than a few reviews are making the case for why The Force Awakens is the third best Star Wars movie ever made.

I can live with that.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Me too. I think even to be considered in the same league as the classic trilogy is high enough praise.

18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I have every expectation that this will be an absolutely spectacular film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.