main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Chocolate Factory Discussion (Willy Wonka (1971) and Charlie (2005))

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    This is kind of surreal.

I've met plenty of people who enjoyed CatCF. But I don't think I've ever met anyone who actually liked it more than WWatCF. Personally, I can't stand Charlie. It was the coupling of Corpse Bride and Charlie that turned me against Tim Burton. Plus seeing Batman Begins, and realizing how screwed up the original Batman films were when looking at them from a comic book fans point of view... Needless to say I have very little love for anything Burton makes. He's lost his touch, honestly.

I still love Nightmare Before Christmas though. Big Fish ain't bad...

And then there's Pee Wee.

2. digitalman2006

digitalman2006 Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2006
    I'm sorry but what does pee wee have anything to do with this? First you were speaking of Tim Burton and then you off on a little tangent. In other words you sort of lost me.

3. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Tim Burton has gone quite mediocre the last few years. There were hints in Sleepy Hollow, but that one turned out okay. Then he released that Planet of the Apes re-make and all bleh broke loose. He tried to make up for it with Big Fish, which had some decent parts but didn't work overall.

I have to say I was really looking forward to "Charlie..." before it came out even with my fondness of the original. The teaser trailer looked like a return to the "Batman Returns"-esque demented greatness. Well. . .

Just to note, I haven't seen Corpse Bride yet. I did like Nightmare before Christmas, so who knows. . .

4. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Uhm... Tim Burton made Pee Wees Big Adventure...?

5. digitalman2006

Mar 24, 2006
    Maybe. But I'm sure as heck aint talking about porky's if you know about Pee Wee Morris.

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I saw the WWatCF soundtrack over at Best Buy today and I was so tempted to buy it. I don't know what it is but the Oompa Loompa songs are pretty cool, even though they are morally based.

7. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    You get no. . . You get no. . . You get no comercials!

8. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Okay. Not maybe...

Tim Burton directed Pee Wees Big Adventure...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089791/

9. digitalman2006

Mar 24, 2006
    saw it, did'nt care for it. mr.burton really had a big flop with that movie; sad to say.

10. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    But Burton did have a success with CTTCF. 56m Opening Weekend. 206 Domestic. His biggest success in 15 years.

11. jediDaria

jediDaria Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2006
    Ok. Peolpe are making a big deal how the kids in the new one were changed. I don't like it. Mike Teeve being into video games instead of tv? That just makes vidoe games look bad, it should have been kept as tv.

I think Johny Deep is a great actor, but I hated his Wonka. I think Wonka should be more of magical and look at all this wonderous candy(like Gene Wilder's) not I'm a little creepy and I make candy cause my dad never let me have any.

The Oopa Lumpas don't seem like real peolpe casuse their all the some person. In the the first one their songs were just there and they fit. In the new one they were stage and I couldn't stand them.

In the orginal all the songs were great.
    I'v been told that the new one is not like the book. The orginal one's screenplay was written by Rhoald Dahl.

The only thing I liked about the new one is Veruca Salt, the girl who played her did a good job.

12. digitalman2006

Mar 24, 2006
    I agree about the music. I could'nt stand for it either because I'm not into that '70's retro disco garbage. Please throw away the glitter ball and hang the bell bottom pants plus 86 the platform shoes.

13. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I did not care for the Burton film. WW played by Depp had no warmth to the character what so ever. Most of the time Wonka was mean for the sake of being mean. Like when Wonka replies to Violet that he does not care who she is when introduced. Wilder's dark humor and sarcastic remarks were deserved by the children becuase they annoyed him, and acted like brats.

There was one moment in the new film that could have been special, but the movie reverted to the mean spirited wonka. It was when charlie says that candy does not have to have a point, thats why it's candy, or something like that.

The Wilder character was better, and the original film was also better in every way.

14. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    I like both. Depp and Wilder pull off Willy Wonka equally well.
    I enjoyed the back story about Willy Wonka.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.