main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cinematography of TFA and beyond

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Hermi_Odle, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    hana_solo, that site has some bandwidth issues. Sometimes, reloading solves the issue.

2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Ricardo Funes

It's working! Thanks for the tip! This is a beauty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I guess this type of shot just reinforces what seems to be the general opinion around here, that JJ style is more closed in the characters, while Gareth likes to use more wide views.

But Gareth really knows how to do close shots too, I always remember Jyn's reaction to seeing her dad for the first time in so many years. That was brilliant, and of course Felicity acting skills helped a lot too.

Also, notice how perfectionist Gareth was, adding the blue reflection from Galen's hologram into Jyn's eyes:
    [​IMG]

Eternal_Jedi and Martoto77 like this.
  4. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Those Kylo shots are amazing, the outside perfectly reflecting the inside.

JJ does use wide angle shots. I posted a couple of the good ones earlier (Kylo and Rey in the interrogration room, Han and Rey on the Falcon with the map) and did so not because they were pretty, but because they showed that he does in fact use them. The biggest and most undeniable difference between TFA and RO is that Edwards' camera has much more of a hand-held feel and he frames a fair few shots in interesting new ways. Someone posted about how they felt that RO fits in visually with ANH, and while that's true for the designs and general feel, the film-making style is a world away from Lucas at that time. I may be wrong but I don't think Lucas has never done shot types like the following.

Going from troopers in darkenss to frame within a frame and then backlighting all of them. The reverse shot of this (extreme long shot) also isn't something that Lucas does very often.
    [​IMG]

Crowd scenes with people moving across frame in front and behind the subject (not going to count the droid and rhonta derriere in Mos Eisley).
    [​IMG]

Extreme close ups on weapons/hands.
    [​IMG]

And generally, frames within frames.
    [​IMG]

11-4D and Gigoran Monk like this.
  5. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Ricardo Funes I'm a big fan of reflections! Jyn and Galen holo reflection is wonderful. Also Rey and Kylo crossed sabers reflection.

redxavier Fantastic examples so well explained! Love wide shots because they are perfect for epic movies, give them scope. Also, frames within framses are just so interesting. Etc.

is why I love "symbolic" characters. The film-makers really put a lot of thought in visual presentation of symbolism of those characters so we get amazing shots like those.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I love this shot, the look on Poe's face, add this and build up with the music and arrival of Kylo..! Perfect!!!
    [​IMG]

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    probably mentioned this earlier but i love the shot with poe and lor san tekka that focuses on both back and forth. the shot changes focuses at least four times.

8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.