main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 317: Ghosts of Mortis Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm going to have to wait for the additional episodes that build upon the Mortis concepts that Filoni mentioned, at this point. I don't agree with a lot of what has been said, but there are multiple ways I can see things interpreted, so until we get more answers I'm not going to keep fighting as hard as I have been.

There is a vagueness about exactly what the Prophecy says. Yoda even mentions the possibility of it being misread.

The Son says the he is Sith, but yet not Sith. He is representative of the Dark Side, but since the Mortis trilogy also mirrors the events of Episodes I-VI, in some ways he may also represent the Sith. Also, there are some things that don't exactly mirror the movies though, like the "Dark Side" (Son) saying that both the Jedi and Sith will be destroyed, whereas it was the Dark Side (hate, anger, revenge) that destroyed the Jedi, but the Light Side (love, redemption) that destroyed the Sith. Or the Father, who represents Balance killing himself to weaken the Son. I don't see a parallel to that. When the Force was out of Balance (balance "killed"), the Sith got stronger and stronger, they didn't weaken.

Some of the events draw parallels to the movies, but some seem to have to do solely with a unique relationship of the three beings on Mortis.

I mean the Father has Anakin literally bring both the "Light Side" and "Dark Side" to their knees. What's that representative of (if anything)? I could say it represents the decimation of the Jedi and Sith Orders, but then again maybe it's nothing, and isn't meant to parallel anything. Maybe the Prophecy WAS misread, and the destruction of the Jedi was included in the Balance of the Force, but that the Jedi in their prejudice against the Sith read things in a way that it made sense to their viewpoint. That's a possibility, but I can't really prove it either way. I mean, I doubt the prophecy refers to the "Sith" by name, since as far as anyone knew, they had "been extinct for a millennium," yet the Jedi were apparently still open to the idea that the Force was out of balance. The Sith did end up being a cause for it, but if the prophecy names the "Sith" directly, you would think there would be an inherent contradiction.

I can also see somewhat of a Daughter = Jedi, Father = Republic, and Son = Sith parallel at times (again, not consistent throughout the whole arc). For instance, the Republic was stagnant and weakening (dying) and the Sith were going to exploit this to take control and restore "peace" (the Son wants to kill the Father and "restore balance"), and Jedi - who were initially reluctant to fight - ultimately fight and die to save the Republic from evil (the Daughter's sacrifice). And then the rise to power of the Son (Empire) causes the weaker individuals like Anakin and Obi-Wan (Rebellion) to rise up and fight for the ideals of the Father (Republic).

Of course that doesn't work 100%, since the Sith never "truly loved" the Jedi, and the execution of the Jedi wasn't some accident. But like I've said, the "Force Wielders" bring their own flavor to the imagery that has no parallel in the PT or OT.

Also note that the Father says that too much light or dark would destroy the universe as Anakin knows it. And he mentions that part of the point of keeping his children on Mortis is to prevent individuals from trying to exploit their power, and cites the Sith as "but one" group that would aim to do so. That really makes me think that it is implied that the Jedi are another, if not THE other, but that they don't realize that having that kind of power is not a good thing. The Light Side would not cause death and destruction, but might be harmful in other ways. If anything, the selflessness, passiveness, and inaction of the Daughter pretty much allowed the Son to become a threat and disrupt the balance. So, that passiveness and inaction might be what is harmful in itself, or it may be that without the aggressive impulse of the Dark Side, there could be no defense against evil.

Anyway, I'm not really trying to prove anything in this post, other than to sh

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Warning warning wall of text coming (text will also include bashing of Mortis)

Because it's fun to bash it :p ..... Well seriously? I try to figure out what is so great in it- by far i haven't made any progress- i just don't understand why i love the saga:-B and hate this arc- if this arc is parallel of the saga what is wrong with it - why i feel like this is pure cr*p and still saga works with me- it's mysterious really....

how is it possible if it is supposedly same story:confused: ...... yes i have an issue with this and apparently you are personally irritated by it- just as you offer your opinions i offer mine- my opinions just are very negative since i find this arc huge disappointment.... anyway i guess i channel my frustration towards this stuff to discussion it's kinda relieving i guess- sorry for being such a jerk:p

Really? Have i said something like that..... no i've tried to find these parallels there i didn't just condemn it as 'just a crap'...... but anyway i identify working parallel i had :oops: reaction when i understand it doesn't work perfectly- we cannot condemn anything as crap or poorly written if we made up patches to fill the plotholes- that is what you're doing every time we discuss about Mortis half of your argumentation is based only on your opinion- in fact your interpretetion is many times better than actual episodes have been what comes to explaining these concepts and their relationships.....

I'm interested in those things if you ask me- why i would talk so much about it if i wouldn't be interested- thing is that i find entire saga to be metaphorical story i see no purpose for these metaphors of metaphors..... I am hugely disappointed to Mortis it could've been so much more and it was such a bad arc..... thing is that i almost started liking it when Altar of Mortis came out and Ghosts was extremely great disappointment......

Well Lucas seems to change his mind anyway besides i never saw that confirmation either- where he says that it's "untrue"?
    But some things are confirmed like Mortis being parallel and Anakin being the Chosen One....

Why to make things more complicated than they are?- if bringing the balance means just killing the sith there is no need for any talk about balance or dark shroud it's simple enough to say kill the sith- no possibility of misunderstanding no ned to say "you need to find yourself"- if really it all means just "kill the bad guy" At the end of the day it's all so damn simple even on Mortis- Daughter is dead- so son must die also.......
    i'm fine with simple story that is well made- saga is like that..... i don't think we needed any parallel at all but obvious parallel would've been better with me- if Mortis is parallel of the saga why it is so different- why to make parallel to be the story that is differen

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Sigh. I give up.

4. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    There's no way to discuss the matter in depth without a "wall of text."

It's not like I can say, "parallels, lol," and everyone knows what I'm talking about.

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    On the contrary, writing in concise yet strong arguments only serves to make you the better individual.

Size matters not.

6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    A 12 page paper can be concise, it if covers a topic that novels can be written about. To go through and argue the implications of Mortis on the prophecy by analyzing imagery, that cannot be done "concisely" in a single paragraph, unless I post one analysis, wait for a response, post another, repeat, repeat, repeat. This isn't a chatroom and I don't have time for it. I'll throw my entire argument out there, and if someone wants to respond or disagree, that's up to them. Then I can come back hours later and address any responses.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    That is what small and insignificant persons like to think:p

Nah seriously it is hard to write short and strong arguments about complicated things- not even to mention i write about them using foreign language- yes playing that card again:p but really- try to have conversation in foreign language- not that easy isn't it- especially when language if totally different than your own- german for example is very close to english compared to finnish..... however i've learnt to partially think in english- these forums are useful after all:p-

Well back to Mortis..... if Daughter's death symbolises creation of the dark shroud by the Sith- Phil still haven't explained what exactly Daughter symbolises- i like more about one complete, coherent parallel but parallels in Mortis are not coherent they are randomly placed in this story "now Daughter symbolises jedi, now light side, now balance, now Padmé, now Ahsoka, now she just is herself without symbolising anything...."

It's confirmed that Daughter symbolises light side at least partially- it is her nature to do what is selfless while Son will do what is selfish- this works i like this thing and that sentence- but is her all deeds in the story selfless then.... i don't really see her sacrifice as 100 percent selfless- she saved her father- father she loved (attachment[face_shame_on_you] ) and condemned entire universe to darkness- isn't that what Anakin does as well when love for Padmé makes him to condemn entire universe- isn't that evil, selfish love?- Saving the life of the loved one and risking lives of millions for it- exception is that Daughter dies while Anakin lives.... well in ROTJ situation is more similar though when Anakin dies yet i don't think his deed when he kills Palpy was 100 percent selfless either- it was his son- his flesh and blood- saving him was not totally selfless it was also partially selfish.....perhaps it was balanced them- at least it did much more good than bad- but Daughter's deed did more bad than good....

so are we about to believe that good and bad are not same as dark and light- probably so- yet Ghosts of Mortis makes mention of "good and bad" is it just a blunder then?

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Swash, I do understand your attempts however I still think you may be missing the point. I?m going to attempt to summarize.

The basic premise is that the Dark and Light are part of the natural metaphysical Force as embodied by the Daughter, Son and Father. Evidently however, when the Son is corrupted by intelligent attributes, such as Vanity (a ?corrupted? by the Sith, if you will), and he falls to the Dark Side which ultimately causes him to set in motion an imbalance. Balance is restored by Anakin Skywalker.

At the end of the day the metaphors we see in this arc are individual. To me, they make perfect sense, however to you it is apparent not so much. You may say I am overcomplicating everything however Star Wars, if it is to be understood and appreciate entirely, must be viewed deeply and underneath stereographic levels.

Also, it was confirmed by Stover and Lucas in regards to the ROTS Novelisation that Anakin could have fulfilled the prophecy in ROTS... meaning free will dictates the path to your destiny.

If you like I can answer all your questions about metaphors, etc, however I have a feeling you won?t accept my point of view.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I must say that my appreciation towards the George and his saga lowered a bit because of Mortis:( I'm disappointed to this trilogy and i don't think this was even close to possibilities they had- i like all six movies and ROTS novelization was awesome but this stuff was not- I feel insulted as a fan that they give us such a unentertaining story and unepic conclusion:mad: that supposedly is so great saga-parallel - Ghosts of Mortis really was poor- i watched it again and it just felt so lame......

I don't like it when you have that "like Mortis or don't like Star Wars"-attitude- Mortis may've been parallel of the saga but it was not a good one- maybe i've understood the saga 'wrong' but honestly i like my interpretetion better than this stuff- it's not like i want to see only explosions and not philosophical stuff but really Mortis had not much actually reasonable comments- i like some wisdoms like Father's lines about balance of dark and light and it's not like Mortis would totally conflict with my vision of the saga either- but i was seriously expecting to have "Wow this is awesome story" feeling i had when watching movies- damn i sometimes cry when watching saga i'm so damn nerd:-B in fact Altar of Mortis had few moments when i felt like "this is actually working" and i had fun when watching this- Daughter's death and Ahsoka's resurrection were nicely done..... but Ghosts? I-)

I mean seriously supposed climax was such bad and Vader-vision felt lame and obvious and i felt like :oops: instead of feeling like =P~
    Mortis didn't end with a bang like i expected but it just......faded away

I guess I feel about Mortis like many does about prequels.....

It's not like i totally missed all parallels either- i believe we had discussion after Overlords came out and I said Daughter will die first and you and many were like "no no no you don't get their parallels".... I think there was certain irony there.....

anyway they have quite a mess there what comes to Mortis-parallels but i seriously think Son and Daughter's relationship was not reasonable- it would've made better sense to me if Son wouldn't love his sister- since he does what's the point of Father to keep the balance- if Son and Daughter are not threat to each other- there is balance without balance-keeper- it feels like Overlords is not working with other episodes it looks like Son tries to kill Daughter with that rock slide..... yet he always loved her and hated just the Father.....it doesn't feel coherent- as working coherent story i would like it much more...

tell me what Son's love towards Daughter represents?

I can see certain parallel to Anakin killing Padmé yes but Padmé's death was not the problem what comes to the balance of the Force.......
    Imbalance was caused by Daughter's death- who or what died (literally or symbolically) for imbalance in the galaxy?
    If Sith cause imbalance by existing it would've been better to have similarly something on Mortis that would cause imbalance only by existing it would've been much better parallel- Anakin would've to slay the beast and save the world......

Also what Dagger represents and why on Mortis they kill Son with a lightsaber? Really if Son would've been also killed by the dagger- it was there for Anakin to use- it would've automatically raised my appreciation towards inner logic of this arc if Dagger is the only weapon to kill these things- now it was not.... what was point of the dagger if it's just a weapon with cool blade that appears from a smoke.... after all it was just like any other weapon.....

Daughter's line about the dagger is that "one who wields the blade will be able to control my brother" really? Apparently not since Obi-Wan seems to be unable to control the Son even with the dagger- Ahsoka cannot(ok she is under influence of Son so she wouldn't try to) and Son cannot really control even himself.... what about Father- he has dagger in Ghosts and yet he cannot stop or control the Son.... that line is bull**** since dagger c

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
  11. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Please do not quote Swashbucklingjedi's GIANT-WALL-OF-TEXT. Many bothans have died attempting to read it.
    Swash has made his distaste for the Mortis trilogy well known, but given the amount of discussion generated over that trilogy, it is undoubtedly a very significant and very important part of TCW...and of Star Wars.

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    well considering how much discussion Gha Nackht's fart generated i wouldn't say amount of discussion is automatically same as importance- it just tells Mortis was something that has strong effect to the fanbase- positive or negative

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I would argue that the fart definitely had a colossal impact on the fanbase.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Please do not put words in my mouth. I never said that but rather, on the contrary, I said a rather opposite statement.

Again, I don?t recall ever saying this.

Really, I have addressed this many times as have others. Go check.

Yes however that is not what you were arguing. You have just agreed with my opinion and eliminated your own on the previous matter...

That is because he is directly referencing the metaphor. You have to view the death of the Daughter as the moment the Light is eclipsed by the Dark which does not necessarily mean the moment the Jedi are destroyed.

At the end of the day this makes sense to me. It might not to you ? and that is fine ? however at the same time I believe it makes perfect sense (this is different than my previous outlines):

The Harmony: This is nature, this is the Jedi without the Sith. This is with no balance. The Force at its natural harmony.

Test of the Chosen One: To me this is simply a demonstration of the Chosen One?s place rather than anything metaphorical within the story. It is to basically outline what the Chosen One is.

Son falls to the Dark Side: This is a metaphor for the rise of Vanity within humanity. The natural dark within us corrupts and inevitably consumes us as it does the Son. Within the ?real universe? this is likely the point where the Force is ?polluted? by the Sith and begins the process of moving towards imbalance, as seen by the Son?s attempts to move it to this point through his pursuit of power (notably indirectly).

Daughters Death: This is the moment the Force is thrown into imbalance, demonstrated within the ?real galaxy? as the moment (this is unspecific although implied) the Sith rise and the Dark Shroud begins to truly envelop (this is not specifically seen in the story, but rather is an elusive point where the scales are tipped into imbalance). Subsequently, when imbalance occurs, war escalates and the Sith grow in power as the Father describes.

Imbalance: This state is one of unnatural imbalance. The Son (Dark Side) has risen to an unnatural state because of the qualities of the Sith (Vanity, etc) thus eclipsing the Light (death of Daughter). All the whilst the Father (the one who stands against the rising Sith) and Anakin (only one who can restore balance) sit within this state. Thus a ?real galaxy? parallel for this would be the Sith in unprecedented positions of power (Chancellor, Confederate Head of State) being represented by the Son, within the context of chaos (The Clone Wars, Dark Times) while the Father represents the Jedi (those who stand against the more powerful Son) and Anakin is the Chosen One (he who is destined to destroy the Son). So basically this period would be the Clone Wars and Dark Times and stretches across most of the next few stages...

The Fall of Anakin: In the time and place of greatest Darkness (Well of the Dark Side) the Chosen One is tempted by the over powerful Dark Side in the Sith (Son, and Palpatine). He is shown a vision of his future and, us

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well that was impression i had- i never said you said it -you just seem to have that attitude....

Well that may be so- it was someone else i guess.... but few comments back you said
    I never had any reasonable explanation to this dilemma if Son loses his supernatural powers if Father dies- still Father wants Anakin to take his place?- why.... how did Anakin know lightsaber affects to Son.... just doesn't work with my logic....
    This should've been explained in the episode- it was not.....

Not addressed in any way- Father says nothing like jedi are good- jedi are right- jedi are harmony nothing about jedi being good was not said- it was said Anakin is more than a jedi and that sith are not good..... where was confirmation that jedi are right?

Wait a minute i missed the scene in Rotj where Luke commits suicide:confused:

Father kills himself to make Son powerless while Luke refuse to fight i don't see clear parallel there- Father's suicide was more like Vader's one- Vader killed himself by touching Palpatine and he knew it he also made Palpy weaker by killing himself as well- Father's sacrifice for me represented unepic version of Vader's deed not Luke's..... if Father would've been surrendered and asked Anakin to help it would've worked now it didn't....

Well it was actually pretty close that i nearly started to like this arc when Altar came out but Ghosts ruined it all- Father vs. Son duel was missing and backstabbing should've happened with dagger not with lightsaber- vision and mindtap thing were lame as well as Ahsoka's shuttlerepairs and Anakin's irrational way to turn the dark side to prevent him from turning to the dark side8-} Qui-Gon's pointless advice as well...... If Anakin simply does wrong in ROTS- why they didn't stop it why they removed Anakin's vision instead of letting him to remember so he wouldn't never turn bad.... that makes no sense in-universe but out-of universe they created a problem and they had to solve it- how can ROTS-ROTJ happen if Anakin knows right and wrong- how he still chooses wrong?

I still say that jedi were part of the problem- i don't like PT-jedi's approach towards the Force- dark side is obviously feared and i don't like this "it's just evil" thing- if it exists there it's not just simply evil- it has purpose...... but there were two ways to solve the jedi-problem in the Fo

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Understandably you missed what I was saying here; sorry for that. I didn?t mean that the Jedi are right but merely that they exist without causing imbalance (yes, this is confirmed) through their symbolic relationship. The Harmony is nature without the cancer of the Sith... that?s what I meant. The natural Force.

This is an understandable point. I put it down to the metaphorical story telling firstly; it serves a point of Anakin?s place in the galaxy. Secondly I think it is likely only self-sacrifice (i.e. not natural death) will take the powers of the children... that?s my explanation anyway.

Firstly he heard the Father say that the Son?s power would be taken away. Secondly it is all about that moment where Anakin will just know what to do... like killing Palpatine. When the moment arrives he will know.

Again, the metaphor is not meant to be a literal re-telling. The parrale between Luke and the Father is their self-sacrifice (throwing away his defences, falling on his sword). Subsequently this took away the Son/Palpatine?s power (by ultimately turning Vader to the Light, and taking the Son?s power). Like I said I see that final scene as the ROTJ duel primarily overlayed with other metaphors...

I think it is clear they are a problem... however not a problem in the way they needed to be eliminated. The Sith needed to be destroyed not the Jedi. The Jedi existing and actions did not cause imbalance and as such Anakin could have restored balance in ROTS. The Jedi?s problem is their blindness... because of dogma.

Because the no-one is all wise. Ultimately Yoda and Obi-Wan do not see the possibility that Luke can redeem Anakin... does not necessarily mean a contradiction, but rather demonstrates Luke?s key place in the Saga. For only he can truly be the catalyst for the Prophecy to be fulfilled and only Anakin can fulfil it.

Regarding the rest of your post and opinions I think I finally see your point. Ultimately I think, at the end of the day, you see the metaphors which I am describing however you simply don?t like the way they were executed. That?s your personal opinion and that?s fine... I think it boils down to your personal opinions on the illustration of the metaphors.

I liked them personally... but other people understandably don?t.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    ^ There is several other ways we can see parallels in Mortis-arc than your interpretetion- i think you're making it far too complicated- yet none of the ways are "perfect parallel" it has several inaccuracies anyway- something on Mortis don't perfectly mirror something in saga.... well i guess i'm too perfectionist then- since i want to see perfect parallel or not parallels at all:p ...
    but since some may like imperfect parallels as well..... i will offer alternate way to interpret Mortis- not perfect but well....
    I will comment my own interpretetion at same time as well.....

i hope you don't think i'm totally scizophrenic:p .....
    It can also be that my interpretetion is even more complicated..... and warning wall of text is coming.....

What if Mortis is not only representing SW-universe and the Force as a whole- but also a single soul- in this case mainly Anakin's soul but same logic could work with all sentient beings... "Luminous beings are we -not this crude matter" this makes easier to understand things since understanding concepts like metaphysical energyfield is hard but understanding oneself- well maybe that's even harder :p anyway i would say Force (which is pretty much same as life) is as we know dualistic there is selfish, malevolent dark side and selfless benevolent light side....

I thought it was rather strange that many said they didn't realise this before Mortis i definitely did- ESB says this clearly there is two sides- there is no Force and Dark Force or anything- dark side is part of the Force and another part is light side naturally.....
    Father, Daughter, Son.... there is a trinity- one who is above other two as loving and caring but also controlling and restraining Father- well we can see this same in the Force- user of the Force could be considered to take role of the Father while Daughter=light side and Son=dark side.... haha this may be totally "heretic" way to see this[face_laugh] but i dunno it feels somewhat working now so i go along....
    We can also think that there is some kind of God or Gods controlling the Force as "father" of these two sides...but that has not much to do with SW-philosophy- it's pretty religion-neutral after all let's leave this totally open for interpretetion..... It was confirmed by George these Overlords are not Gods of the Force not it's source or creator.....

We could also see that one soul has three sides- one who supports darkness and one who supports light and then this one who tries to keep them from ruining everything..... woah sounds a bit like Freud's psychoanalysis Id, Ego and Super-Ego... well better not to mess up this stuff it may not be a good combination...

Too much dark or too much light..... (Instead of quoting Father i'll quote Padmé from Bombad Jedi) "That's not good!"

So that's the keeping oneself in balance -thing is what everyone tries to do- even though few succeed perfectly it seems.... it may be that one who balances oneself when dying can do this ghosting-thing but i don't think it's essential to be a ghost- Qui-Gon were need to helpBen and Yoda and Ben, Yoda and Anakin were needed to help Luke but i don't like idea they live forever as ghosts i think at some point they leave to the netherworld where they belong..... but Anakin has this special mission because he is the Chosen One- he must bring balance to the entire Force not only to his own soul- I wouldn't say someone's interpretetion of Anakin balancing himself being the same as balancing Force was not completely wrong after all- only way Anakin can balance himself is that he fulfills his destiny as the Chosen One so he brought himself to balance by bringing Force back to the balance.......

So we can see that Overlords represent Anakin- while they are incarnations of the different aspects of the Force- Anakin is pure incarnation of the Force- much like all those 3 put together
    This may be wrong way to look at it "Well if it works....":p

So does Anakin have t

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the context of whether or not Anakin is the Chosen One. This merely establishes that the Jedi ( like all mortals ) experience doubt as a result of their lack of omniscience. We know from Anakin's ultimate fulfillment of the prophecy that it was not misread in the sense addressed by the ROTS scene in question.

If the destruction of the Jedi is included in the balance of the Force, the Force is not balanced at the end of ROTJ, because the Jedi Order lives on in the form of Luke. The destruction of the Jedi being included in the balance of the Force would also conflict with Stover's statement that Anakin could have fulfilled the prophecy in the Chancellor's office in ROTS.

19. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Yoda saying the Prophecy could have been misread after it has now been conclusively proven that Anakin is the Chosen One is one of the many reasons I have grown to hate Mortis.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, I think the idea is that Anakin could still fail. I don't think Mortis provides a guarantee of his future.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You can always just close your eyes, plug your ears and go "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" like I do.

Besides, Mortis doesn't prove anything and there is still no in-universe proof that the Chosen One even exists.

22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

^lolcwutididthar :p

In all srsness though, Mortis was just a group hallucination Anakin and co. had smokin' that Dagobah Green in the cockpit. So, yeah, it doesn't prove anything.

23. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    LOL. Butthurt.

Seriously though. Really? An abstract, metaphorical interpretation of the force causes you to lose all hope and faith in the Saga? Frankly, that says more about you and your intellect than it does GL.

24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    There was nothing in the prophecy that mentioned Anakin by name. They were going by signs, a high midichlorian count and the belief that he was conceived by the Force. Obi-Wan asks if he is the chosen one, and if the Chosen One is meant to bring balance to the Force, and Yoda questions that by throwing out the possibility that the prophecy may have been "misread" and Mace nodded along. Qui-Gon was convinced Anakin would bring balance to the Force as the Chosen One, and the exhange between Mace, Yoda, and Obi-Wan implies that they question the very role of the Chosen One.

If in some holy book there is mention that a prophet will come bearing a message, and that he can be recognized because he will be abused, spit upon, and have one of his eyes plucked out, those signs don't have anything to do with the message he will bring, but they are actions that must be inflicted to recognize him as indeed being the prophet whose arrival was foretold. Hypothetically, if there was mention that the Jedi Order will be destroyed, such an action may not be an essential act in balancing the Force, but may still be an action the Chosen One takes as is (possibly) prophesized. It could be that the Chosen One is destined to destroy the Sith, but not before taking actions X, Y, and Z first, even if X-Z have nothing directly related to bringing balance.

But again, I see the Mortis Trilogy and do not see anything to imply that Dark Side = bad, Light Side = good. Instead I see the message that too much of either is bad and both are essential. The Sith follow the Dark Side and the Sith are bad and disrupt the balance. To tie that back into what the Father says, it seems because there is "too much dark (side)" in the Sith. But the Father explicitly says that the opposite is true too, and that too much Light (side) can destroy the Galaxy as it is. And given that the Jedi are all about avoiding the Dark Side, it just seems to me that the whole comment about Light Side being a bad thing really only applies to the Jedi, since non-Force users aren't a factor, and the Jedi are really the only Light Side faction. There's no point in really stressing the harm of too much Light Side or keeping the Daughter on Mortis if the Jedi already have their act together.

At any rate, Luke's generally regarded as founding a New Jedi Order. The old one, if not actually destroyed" was still crippled enough to warrant the symbolic founding of a new one.

On a completely different note, it was confirmed by Filoni that the characters will discuss Mortis further but no to each other. I would love to see Anakin turn to Palpatine for general guidance on what path to take. There's really no telling how the Sith view the prophecy. Would Palpatine balk at the idea of a Chosen One as nonsense, or does Palpatine believe that Anakin is the Chosen One but is trying to steer Anakin away from his destiny, or does Palpatine have a different interpretation of the prophecy all together?

25. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    The way I see it, the point of Mortis is not that it's a parallel to the saga, or the saga in a nutshell.

The point is that you need to recognize these parallels in order to understand the story's hidden messages. If you start looking for these parallels, you'll notice that there are some that do not directly mirror events we have seen in the saga, but they tell you something about the saga you previously didn't know (or could only suspect).

So in other words, going with the idea that every element in Mortis is a parallel to / metaphor for something in the saga, you'll learn some new things about the saga.

Example: Father (embodiment of the Force) brought Anakin to Mortis in order to preserve the balance.

Meaning: The will of the Force brought Anakin into the world, created Anakin to preserve the balance.

Secrets revealed!