main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    So, new movie out on Thursday.

I went to the Hoyts website to find out what time the sessions were and found they were apparently showing
    "Star Wars EpII Attack of the Clones" again instead, heh. Hopefully they fix that before Thursday.

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Can't say I'm all that excited about this movie. Has been all over TV here lately, but to be honest the animation doens't really 'do' it for me.

Probably won't see it in the theatre

3. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Hello all.

I saw it on Thursday night at Sylvia Park. There was only a small number of people in the cinema on oopening night, which doesn't seem to bode well. Personally, I enjoyed it. It's not life-changingly amazing or anything, but was a good, fun film. I don't quite understand the critical mauling it's getting ... when I was checked it was sitting on 34% on metacritic.com. Whilst I can see concede some of the points people are making, it just sorta feels like it's become really fashionable to hate (recent) Star Wars recently.

Anyone else seen it?

4. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I saw it Saturday morning at St Lukes. There was a decent crowd - mainly kids and parents. I think the problem is a lot of critics didn't realize that it's animated star wars tv in a movie theatre, rather than a new Star Wars movie.

I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the tv series. There's a few things I had issue with ... mainly surrounding Ahsoka's characterization, which I felt was a bit inconsistent, but I loved the Anakin/Obi-Wan banter.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I saw it on Sunday morning - first Star Wars movie I've been able to take the kids to. Was a bit sleepy after watching Olympics and Rugby Saturday night, and because of that it dragged in places (namely the same battle 3 times - no doubt one in each TV episode, if it was broken down into thirds).

And the kidnap plot was pretty silly, certainly no grand theme like the proper movies have, but I really like the art style and the animation (even if the clone voice actor had no idea how to 'do' Tem Morrison), and the movie was terrific fun in most places. I really like Ashoka too.

Absolutely looking forward to the TV series. Anyone know when it starts and if a NZ channel have the rights yet?

6. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    This is a user comment from the Time site. I don't necessairly agree, but it's damn funny ...

http://time-blog.com/nerd_world/2008/08/review_star_wars_the_clone_war.html?xid=rss-nerdworld

"Star Wars is like some girl you met at a party and thought was relly amazingly cool, and you snuck off and had sex on the golf course when no one was looking, and it was freakin' amazing and great. Then you went out on an actual date and it was even better than before. Then you go out again (We'll call this your third date, though the first time really wasn't one)and it's sort of frustrating and she's clearly not that into it, and she's saying the most nonsensical things, and in the end you don't get laid. Then she refuses to return your phone calls for an ungodly length of time, and you just know she's seeing some other guy. When you do finally get together again, not only do you not get laid, but she's boring and longwinded as hell, and won't stop talking about having kids. Date number five is better - you have some fun and have sex after a fashion - but it all seems forced somehow, and her horribly stagey angst keeps grinding things to a halt. On your sixth date, you do definitely get laid, and it's even pretty good, but by this point you've put so damn much effort into so little payoff that you find you've stopped caring, and don't want to see her again.

"Clone Wars" is kind of like when that same chick calls you out of the blue years later, clearly strung-out and asking for money, freaking the hell out of your current girlfriend or wife, and causing you to wonder just what the hell it was you saw in that boozy, pretentious, moneygrubbing skank in the first place.

And then you change your phone number."

7. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    According to SWNZ, TV3 are looking at getting rights to screen the series. If not, I'm sure it will be shown on the Cartoon Network on Sky.

8. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Meh. I am so over waiting for NZ TV networks to play shows. All my favourite US shows (Battlestar, Dexter, The Wire, The Office) are often literally years behind their US counterparts. I've given up. Now I just Bittorrent the shows when they air, and support them financially by buying the DVDs when they get released. Other than (ahem) Shortland Street, I don't really bother with broadcast TV any more.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    TV3 aren't too bad - heroes, LOST, Survivor, and especially The Daily Show (on C4) are all pretty close behind US screenings. The issue is the US has so many reruns mid-season, and holding back of new episodes for sweeps, that it must be hard to organise this for NZ audiences who are used to an uninterrupted season run.

But I've also been buying TV DVDs lately, Arrested Development, and the sharpest written US comedy in years - 30 Rock.

10. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    So you're saying 30 Rock is *better* than Arrested Development? I do not believe this is possible ...

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, 30 Rock is much funnier that AD - and AD is great.

12. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    That's interesting because I think "Arrested Development" is THE GREATEST TELEVISION COMEDY OF ALL TIME.

Has anyone watched "The Wire"? Amazing show.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I've heard good things about it. My friend in the JCC Knightwriter says it's better than the Sopranos, but I cannot fathom how.

Can lend you my 30 Rock Season 1 DVD if you like? Of course now you have unrealistic expectations...

14. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    The Wire is waaaaaaay better than The Sopranos. Honestly, it's incredible.

I'd like to see 30 Rock. And a catch-up is probably in order anyway.

15. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    *AHEM*

Anyways, Clone Wars?

Went and saw it for the second time on Sunday. I took my oldest son for his first big screen Star Wars experience the first time (my Dad took me to see Star Wars on first release when I was the same age). I'm with you JP. Kids love this, and it's fairly appropriate for "family viewing".

Personally, I thought the animation was fantastic and the action sequences every bit as good as the live action movies. Dialogue was a bit too "George Lucas" but what do you expect? The whole "Sky-Guy" and "Snips" thing grew a little tiresome and the Rotta the Hutt kidnapping plot a little too contrived.

Perfect setup for the small screen though. Bring it on!!

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Anyone going to (ahem) watch this series? I just downloaded the first two episodes and will watch them later today. Despite seemingly everyone hating the film, I'm quite looking forward to the series.

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The first two episodes are pretty cool. [face_whistling]

Watched them with my son (6) lats night. First episode is all Yoda and clonetroopers, and is a nice break from Anakin and Ahsoka after the movie.

Still can't get used to the mangled attempt at Tem Morrison's voice though. It's atrocious. Like and american trying to do an Australian accent. Poorly. Gah.

Anyone know when they shows are going to be broadcast in NZ?

18. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    How does Clone Wars get on my television?? [face_thinking]

First two episodes, brilliant. =D= Exceeded my expectations and rekindled my eldest son's interst in SW again (besides Lego SW video games).

Rocking animation. Hope Ventress shows us her "stuff" some more and doesn't end up just being Dooku's patsy...

19. Jeff_Fett

Jeff_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2002
    I cant wait to see this show it sounds awesome

20. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    Does anyone know when it is put on DVD?

Channel 10 over here is meant to be playing to series soon, have to keep track of when they will show it

if it is like any other decent progrmamme it will be late at night when nobody is awake to watch it so they can justify putting more australian content on at prime time, pity most of it is crap, i am not sure how much australian idol and you think you can dance i can take

and let not talk about the crappy police drama they have on, there are so many of them and they are crap

21. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    There's 22 episodes in the first season ... so, realistically, I wouldn't imagine that it wouldn't be out on DVD until the season finishes. Which would be early next year.

We don't have Sky, and I have *no* idea if it'll screen on free-to-air in New Zealand. The response to the film seemed really lacklustre here, so I wonder how much general interest there'd be. I feel OK about bittorrenting it, and then buying the DVD when it gets released locally. I am sick of so many NZ TV channels running TV series six months to a year behind their US release times. My currently favourite show, "Battlestar Galactica", is about six months behind the US. And the third season of "Heroes" has already started in the US and there's no sign of it here.

22. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    That's the way of the world though, I'm sure USA doesn't have all 3 seasons of Outrageous Fortune... or Australia for that matter.

It takes time for the sale boats to circumnavigate the globe with the TV reels don't ya know :p

23. Jeff_Fett

Jeff_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2002
    I got to see the first two episodes off Cartoon Network.
    AWESOME

24. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    They start over here on the 22nd of Nov, but i have to remember to get the remote off the kids at lunchtime

25. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    How's everyone enjoying it? The Duel of the Droids 2-parter was my favourite so far :) Best duel ever in Star Wars :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.