main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dawn of a Mary Sue.. The Bria Tharen HATERS club.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jewlmc, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Bel Iblis and Hal Horn got one piece didnt they?

2. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    A bunch of people stole parts of the Death Star plans. When all put together they completed a full schematic of the Death Star blueprints...

...Or something like that. :)

Every author wanted their character to be the hero that stole the Death Star plans :p

3. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    And Shada D'ukal and her partner, Karoly, didn't they have the task of guarding the super laser or something like that?

4. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Uh huh...about 20 different people stole the Death Star plans, and then they were assembled by the Rebels.

Nice EUxplanation.

Ranks up there with Greedo in TPM really being "Greedo the Elder," and Palpy cutting off Anakin's mechanical right hand and replacing it with yet another mechanical hand.

5. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Nice EUxplanation.

[face_laugh] !

At first glance, I thought that was a spelling error. Then I looked at it again [face_laugh]

6. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    After having read that list, I came to this conclusion:

Bria is a Mary Sue.

'Nuff said. :)

7. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Man, what a Mary Sue.
    Some people should go back to writing class.

Oh and does she really have red-gold hair, like someone else I hate in the EU?
    Someone tell me this!

8. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I've seen it called hyphenated hair...red-gold, or in the case of Thrawn (a Gary Stu), blue-black.

No one ever has brown hair. It's always red, red-gold, blonde, white, blue-black, whatever.

Notice in the movies, just about everyone save for Anakin and Luke has hair that's some shade of brown.

9. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Bria drives me crazy. Bria fans drive me crazier. Han and Leia were a far more interesting couple.

Excuse my newbie question but, What's a Mary Sue?

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
  11. Jedi15

Nov 7, 1999
    Excuse my newbie question but, What's a Mary Sue?

Here's a post by Doughreyme from the MJHC. It offers the best definition of a Mary Sue I've ever seen:

"Mary Sue" is the term used for a character who is either:
    1. A thinly-veiled fictional version of the author herself
    2. An original character who is the protagonist of the story

Not all "Mary Sues" are cardinal sins. If a good writer commits "Mary Sue", it can still be an entertaining, well-written story despite the above classifications. Examples of this are:
    The novel The Romulan Way by Diane Duane
    The episode "Lower Decks" of Star Trek: The Next Generation
    The character of Engineer Reg Barclay (Dwight Schultz)

However, on the whole, "Mary Sue" stories are written by new writers whose first idea for a story follow a pattern of self-insertion (acting out their personal fantasy vicariously through an original character), and their "Mary Sue" characters suffer from the following characteristics:

1. She's perfect. Literally. Everyone likes her, she can fix the warp core with a bobby pin and a smile regardless of whether or not she's an engineer, she's got an excellent singing voice, and she's psychic too...
    2. She's got violet eyes, martial arts training that makes Trinity from The Matrix look like Elmer Fudd, hair down to there, and is usually sleeping with or the daughter of someone we all know and love.

3. She's maverick, headstrong, stubborn, always wins in the end, and always shows "them" how her way is better.

Regarding gender: Mary Sue is not an exclusively female phenomenon. Harry Stu tends to be cocky, maverick, and has all the girls swooning while the captain admires him for his courage, daring, cunning, swashbuckling, computer hacking, and romantic abilities.

Mary Sue characters exist in canon (Wesley Crusher was Gene Roddenberry's Mary Sue, Janeway is Jeri Taylor's, and Seven of Nine is Brannon Braga's,) as well as professional Star Trek novels (Stone from Rock and a Hard Place and Calhoun from New Frontier are Peter David's contributions to the sub-genre). They vary in degree and are not always guilty of Mary Sue behaviour, but have exhibited enough signs to be deserving of the label.

12. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Thanks, that explains a lot. I now know the name for a bunch of really irritating characters. 8-} That perfect thing really gets under my skin...

13. Jedi15

Nov 7, 1999
    No problem. Glad to be of service. :)

14. Elori

Elori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    Just wanted to drop by and say that I don't like Bria. I thought she was a mary sue, got annoyed that she used some of the same lines that Leia used, etc. So, I don't like her :)

15. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    What got to me was how whiny she was. I loved the Han Solo trilogy-except for not finding out what happened to Han's parents!-but Bria got on my nerves.

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    I was glad when she left. And then she had the nerve to come back!

17. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    What the HECK is this thread about?

18. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Did you not read it or something or are you being sarcastic?

19. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Rich, you are a most impressive person ( ;)) but you should be able to figure out what this thread is about. :p

I hate bria. Ask Tara. We've been through many bria debates together. I don't doubt Glitter will pop up here sometime. Anyway, the passion with which I hate bria is unmatched. Absolutely despise her, as the list Tara posted shows. Anyway, I'll make a good post on this subject later, but I just wanted to stop by and say hello to all the other bria haters out there.

Notice bria is never capitalized... she does not deserve that. :p

20. Tara

Tara Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    Awww...I knew I could count on you Adi :D

I do have a question though-what happened that she was the reason Han said "I know" in ESB? Color me confused!

Eh, basically when Han tries to tell bria "I love you" (gag) but he can't get the words out, bria says "I know. I know...I love you too." which is an unsubtle implication that Han was harkening back to his and bria's declaration of love when he said "I know" to Leia. Talk about disrespect to the canon romance of Star Wars.

21. Tara

Tara Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    Here's what the author said about why Bria had to die:

Bria of course was slated to die from the beginning. We couldn't have old girlfriends from Han's past showing up, could we? Han had to be free to emotional attachments in order to start a relationship with Princess Leia.

One word: Ugh.

22. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    And the whole thing about Bria being the reason for "I know" in ESB was just insulting to the movies. Puh-leaze, talk about contrived ::rolleyes::

WHAT?!?!?! What in god's name are you talking about? What book is this in. I heard of Bria, I thought she was the black woman he hung with. What book is this? *Shreiks hyterically*

This makes me want to level Ireland: Land of the red hair. They really are evil. :p

23. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I believe that the passage about Mary Sue was written by Melyanna and reposted by Doughreyme. :) Just wanted to give credit where it was due.

Jae Angel

24. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Tiershon_Fett, bria appears in the Han Solo Trilogy. she's actually in all three books, The Paradise Snare, the Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn. I believe the whole 'I love you' thing is from PS though.

And speaking of that, it's ridiculous to think that he was thinking of bria. First off, ESB was filmed a good 15+ years before bria was created. Additionally, in the original draft, Han was supposed to say "I love you too" back to Leia. But during filming, it was decided that that line was not Han Solo-ish enough. So Harrison Ford played around with various lines during quite a few takes before it was decided on "I know" fitting perfectly with their relationship at the time. That line was specifically tailored for Han and Leia; I get annoyed when people try to suggest otherwise.

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    "I know" was brilliant, it fit so well for the pair. Why the heck did they go and spoil it for us? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.