main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "Enlighten Me, Master!" Newbie's Lounge...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Mistress_Renata, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Heh heh [face_mischief]

And the d6 system did allow for a lot of heroism when employed best
    (if you don't count that time when I used a Force point to bolster my Blaster skill from 9D to 18D to shoot a Dark Jedi and ended with a neat 16 result... [face_plain] )

2. Mercilor

Mercilor Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2002
    Ok, just received my WEG corebook in the mail, but it's the 1988 version =/ I know there's a 1992 version as well, and I've seen a few people selling what they list as a 1996 version...is this a third edition? How important is it that I buy a newer version? If very important, which should I buy?

Also, if anyone knows of a website that comprehensively lists all the WEG core/source/whatever books WITH ISBN #s, I would be most appreciative as it would help me greatly as I begin collecting a set =)

Once again, I'd just like to thank you guys for being so helpful to the newbs around here; it's a welcome relief =)

3. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
  4. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Second Ed, Revised and Expanded. That is the best main book from WEG.

5. LostMyself

LostMyself Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    i prefer weg
    first for the simple rules... some people say that a wokiee with a vibroaxe could kick a atat but i say that in the wotc system a hero could take a atat shot and not die...
    secondly for the exceptional star wars essence... weg have really captured what real is star wars.. and have brought it depth (eg criminal sector etc)... (at least if your group is more than just merceneries)
    weg is more star wars than the prequel triology

about wotc... its a system applyed to star wars... and wotc doesnt seem to have any ambitions to create something new... still, with some mean adjustments its playable...

6. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Yes, WEG StarWars was built around StarWars. While WOTC StarWars was StarWars altered to D&D.

7. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    Both the WEG d6 system and the WotC d20 systems have there good points and bad points. I played the WEG system from the time it came out up until about a year or so ago (when I was too busy with Real Life to get in any quality role playing). I picked up the WotC system a few months ago and I do like a lot of the mechanics (although I do have some problems on how certain things are handled). Overall, a good game depends on the GM having knowledge and confidence in the rule mechanics and the ability to make balanced modifications (i.e. house rules) when need be. I've seen some horrible game mechanics in other games but the games were enjoyable and fun because the GM knew the rules and had made modifications to compensate for sloppy mechanics.

Okay, I'm rambling... there was a point in there somewhere but my train of thought has suddenly become derailed.

8. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    I still caught it.

9. Midnightguard

Apr 3, 2002
    hehe... thanks Crimson, good to know that I can still get a point across. :)

10. Jedi_Hope

Jedi_Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    what's the differance between a Jedi counsalor and jedi gaurdian. I'm making a gungan and rolled

Int. 18
    wis 16
    str 14
    dex 14
    con 14
    chrs 10

this is the first charachter i made on my own and was wondering what I should make him/ it.

11. Midnightguard

Apr 3, 2002
    Jedi Counselors are primarily diplomats and negotiators seeking peaceful means to end conflicts (look at their class skills).

Jedi Guardians are more of the battle oriented members of the order, sort of like troubleshooters.

I guess it all depends on the style you more prefer, if your more interaction-oriented then go with a Counselor... more combat-oriented then go with the Guardian.

Hope this helps you out.

12. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    If you want a Jedi, those stats are better suited the Guardian class; the lack of a CHA bonus would be a major problem for a diplomat.

Midnightguard, great sig! One of my favorite quotes from my favorite comic book character. I love that girl.

13. Midnightguard

Apr 3, 2002
    Fingorfin - I'm big fan of Gaiman's works. Death is my favorite character of his... when it's my time to go, I hope it is she who comes to take me to the other side. ;)

14. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Any more questions Jedi_Hope?

15. Jedi_Hope

Jan 28, 2002
    yes would this be right? (P.E.)

Ti'lan Mochar male Jedi Gaurdian

STR 16
    DEX 14
    CON 15
    WIS 10
    INT 11
    CRS 10

EQUIPTMENT- Lightsaber, comlink

skills

battlemind
    climb
    telepithy
    computer use
    tumble
    craft [lightsaber]
    empathy
    enhanse ability
    Force Defense
    Force stealth
    friendship
    heal self
    jump
    Knowlage Jedi Lore
    Speak Lekku
    Speak Ryl
    Speak Basic

16. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I know what you mean.

Those stats look good, except that one does not exactly "speak" Lekku. ;)

17. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    What Figorfin means is it should be Speak Lekku (understand only).

18. Jedi_Hope

Jan 28, 2002
    why, he can use his lekku to "talk" too. Can't he?

19. Midnightguard

Apr 3, 2002
    I see, so it's Twi'lek you made up... that clarifies that. You said in your earlier post that you were making a Gungan, hence the apparent confusion.

20. Jedi_Hope

Jan 28, 2002
    what do I do when I gain a level?

21. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    When you gain the required amount of XP. What is your current level?

22. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    [Hope this doesn't double-post!]

Midnightguard, you make a good point about the systems. All gaming systems, whatever genre or dice, have their good and bad points. While I refuse to have to compute square roots to find out if I hit, I know there are those that hate the less realistic aspects of, say, FUDGE. The most important thing as a player is to trust your GM to make it interesting. (Not easy, mind you, but interesting.)

I'm in a 2nd Ed D&D game where basically I trust the DM to tell me what to roll and if I succeed, because there are too many rules for me to figure it out myself. Of course, I also trusted her with my character's background by making her an amnesiac, which I don't know how many other GMs I'd trust with that. :)

So, basically, for a newbie, it's a toss-up, though the WotC books are more accessible.

[Personally, I'm a die-hard WEG fan. ;)]

23. Jedi_Hope

Jan 28, 2002
    I know that, i'm level one. What do I do after I get the XP?

24. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    To reach level 2 you need 1000 XP. When you reach that point, your character will gain more vitality (based on your roll), more skill points, which you distribute as you see fit, and some bonus feats. Update your character accordingly and continue playing.

25. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Make sure you put ranks into skills that are useful in the campagain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.