main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The fate of Phasma

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthOB1, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rancor Rider

Rancor Rider Jedi Padawan

Nov 26, 2015
    Her diminished and humiliated status hopefully sets the stage for a "Phasma's Revenge" scene with Finn.

2. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I feel like she shut down the shields too easily and with very little persuasion, I would expect a character like Phasma to not cooperate even with a gun to her head. :D

3. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014

Agreed, she did seem to back down pretty easily from conflict. Still debating whether I actually want to see more of her if her character is like that. Need some more ruthless badassery from her if she does appear in VIII.

Darth Formidious likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Fate of Phasma? Hopefully, some solid characterization after the joke she unfortunately became in TFA.

5. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I feel like no matter what Phasma does I'll continue to think of her as a coward for the lowering of the shields like that. I can't believe they messed up that scene that bad. Let's hope Rian Johnson is doing something great with her because I love the actress playing her. Even the lowly storm troopers should not let a shield down like that, let alone a captain. These soldiers are supposed to be indoctrinated from a young age. That was something odd about Finn too. Didn't feel convinced at all that he had been taken as a child and raised to be a soldier loyal for the FO. Hux was the only one that I felt was totally committed to the FO. He was absolutely fanatical as anyone raised in the FO would probably be.

Chunkydumb likes this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

That's why they should have switched places with her and Stormtrooper Steve. Makes sense a grunt might do that. But she has been so thoroughly indoctrinated you would think anyway.

7. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    In the Gwendolyn thread another user mentioned that she and Finn could have a romance, and it got me thinking that it really might be possible for her character to turn. She really wasn't very evil, yet the actress has done so much press AND she is on the poster for the film. Definitely possible that she could be a lead female.

8. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    I'll echo the sentiments somebody said in one of these threads. Phasma served two purposes: 1. To sell toys. 2. To shut up the critics that were complaining about the lack of female officers.

I guess technically the scene makes some sense as she's the only person that finn knows with access to the shields who's low enough on the food chain that you could kidnap them without raising many alarms but other then my stupid theory, her giving in so easily felt cheap.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Be patient...not every character has to be a complete badass at first.

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Again, I have no problem with her being cowardly. But, no film is perfect and this is one of my nitpicks.

11. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    No one really said that. We just hope she becomes one. Instead of her cowardly portrayal in TFA.

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah right now she really is a coward. It's an interesting potential arc for her character: all show with the armor but also into self preservation and not completely nuts.

Now she will likely want to exact some revenge on Finn for what i'm sure was some serious retribution at the hands of the FO for her cowardice in battle.

That's what I'd do anyway.

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    She got taken out by a freakin Wookiee and was threatened at gunpoint by two other people...it doesn't make her cowardly, it makes her smart because she'll get to fight another day...which I'm sure she will. At least they created a grudge situation when they next meet. I can't imagine she'll be this coward everyone is calling her the next time. It was all setting up her character for the next meeting. Besides all that, she probably figured it was only to allow them to escape with their ship after they found their friend and not some all out attack that would come later, so let's not think she was lowering the shields for anything but that. At least that's how I see it.

Sarge likes this.
  14. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    She WAS it and she was terrible. How can you have a positive outlook for that character after it was flubbed so badly.

Isn't her lowering of the shields something the First Order would execute you for? As I've said before Ep8 should being with her standing trial for treason..and possibly escaping and defecting. If she is able to stay in the First Order and maintain her status there is something seriously wrong with that military.

15. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Phasma was over marketed to draw in the feminist , girl power crowd... her character was pretty under used and actually pretty weak , as opposed to strong as she was marketed to be...

Her character played a minimal role, and lacked any real dimension. Most over hyped character of the film, easily.

16. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    It's hard to be patient when the only role that an over-hyped character serves in the film is to meekishly follow the orders of her former subordinate and then literally put in the trash as soon as she's done. I guess if they wanted to go more degrading they could've put her in a bikini while they did it. Because you know, Return of the Jedi.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Phate of Fasma. [face_laugh]

Well, I think that's funny.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    My fan theory is that she will be Cloned in Episode 8. Millions of Phasma Clonetroopers.

19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    She is a perfect villain for Finn to handle.

20. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    She was a foil (excuse the aluminium pun) to Finn and represented all that he hated and more ... I still think that she was put in this film to sell toys, but I will reserve judgement until I see where she goes after she gets out of whatever trash-compactor Finn and friends put her into.

Critics of Phasma's screen time have pointed out that Boba Fett (who I guess they were trying to emulate as far as iconic badass characters go), had a similarly limited screentime in ESB, however unlike Phasma, Fett actually had a very important role to play in the plot.

21. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    This is exactly what is confusing me as well. I was originally expecting her to be like a Boba Fett type character but after her performance (or lack of), it's debatable whether she should return. I find her roo intriguing to let her go though. She fascinates me. :D

22. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    So does the female alien that alerts the FO in Maz's castle and even more so, but she won't be back even though she should be !!!

23. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I don't think she will be in episode viii. I think they'll create a new character to lead the troopers. Or they might put the emphasis on the knights of Ren. Either way, Phasma is done.

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Well yes likely. But, they also had to get their butts out of there before it blew up. Bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Maybe they grabbed her on the way out and VIII will have her standing trial or being thrown out? Or maybe it shows her already thrown out and she's on the run and also trying to get to Finn.

Maybe she finds Finn and, for some reason, maybe the FO comes around looking for them both? So maybe they have to team up to escape?

JediRocks74, what they should do is decide Phasma is done and recast Gwen in another role as one of the Knights of Ren.

She's had the training. :)

25. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Phasma doesn't even put up a fight. It's as if she wants Starkiller base to be destroyed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.