main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto THE FINAL Adventures In Post-Production

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darvin11, Mar 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darvin11

Darvin11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2001
    Hi Guys,

Well, I got fired today, or more correctly, "asked to leave", for posting my irregular missives about the vagaries of the film industry and the lowly trials and tribulations of an assistant.

Hoist upon my own petard as it were.

While it is a shame, this experience has taught me some important things--

--when working 10- 12 hour days, but actually only doing stuff for 4 hours, message boards are a horrible lure.

--cover your tracks better

--trust no one, even with people who you believe burgeoning friendships may be forming.

MOST IMPORTANTLY--

--I do not want to be a part of this cold, greedy, egotistical and infinitely parnoid industry.

The manipulations and machinations within even the "small fish in a small pond" aspects of the canadian film industry are at once sad and yet laughable. There is a reason why it is such a inclusive and mysterious industry. I have said it before I am sure and I will say it again, there is no glamour in the movies.

The thing is, though, there is the occasional nice person who doesn't believe they are changing the world with the work and realizes its just grownups playing make believe with obscene amounts of money.

Perspective is everything, my friends, remember that if you are all rich and famous one day. Remember that what we do is not who we are.

Onwards and forwards though, and I will be attending the april movie night, so look for me, buy me a drink and we can chat about--

--stuff.

I very much enjoyed my time with Mr. Yu and his wife, as well as the editor, Mr. Wu. They are good people and, while I am sure Mr. Yu will never again want to hear or read my name, he is a talented man who should be allowed to make the movies he wants to make.

If only because he is good at it.

When the movie is released I do encourage you all to see it, as I will, if only because it is very entertaining.

Below is a an unfinished post that was the smoking gun in fact.

<Adventures in Post Production Part 4>

<How did you all like the oscar's? Short and <boring baby. What a waste.
    <
    <On to more important things--
    <
    <Well, last week left with my thwarted <attempts to meet Samuel L. again However I <did meet Meatloaf and he was very nice, <thought no amount of ADR in the world will <make his performance better. None. It is <that bad. He is only in the beginning and <the end of the movie and he almost, but not <quite, ruins it.
    <
    <[section edited for personal reasons}

Following is a message by an anoymous someone who kindly left some advice after the incomplete post. Certain parts have been edited for reasons I won't get into at this time.

>Robin,
    >
    >You need to not do this. It is quite >unprofessional and if anyone knew that you >were talking about the movie in such a >manner [edited] you?d be out of here. >Especially mentioning the[edited]which >nobody needs to know about
    >and you?re not even supposed to know about. >This conduct is un-befitting of a member of >a film?s crew. When hired on, there is >assumed that you will maintain a certain >amount of integrity where the film and its >progress is concerned.

>Follow my advice. Don?t say anything else.

In my defense I offer only this, I was told about the [edited] by a fellow office mate first, and by the 2nd Unit Director later. So much for something I wasn't supposed to know about and never shared, even to this hard-to-find-used-by-the-same-few-people-message-board. What information I might have had was limited at best.

Good thing I never contacted Aint-It-Cool-News where more than 50 people might read it, huh?

Oh well. These are the lessons we learn.

I hope you have enjoyed this small look into the Canadian film industry, kids.

I know I did.

Signing off,

Robin T.
    The very last post with this heading.

2. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    agh -- they asked you to leave?!
    Man, sorry to hear that. I for one have been enjoying these posts immensely. We always get to hear what life is like from the actor's or the director's point of view, but rarely do we ever get a glimpse at what it is *really* like.

Looking forward to seeing you again at the upcoming movie night.

3. Darvin11

Darvin11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2001
    You are a most kind and generous man, and I am looking foward to movie night too.

We can discuss further then.

Robin T.

4. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    The Mr. YuWu's need a talking to. You should be known for you talent not for posting to very small board of people who are your friends in RL. I hope that they at least let you explain yorself. Shouldn't they be worrying about REAL things that may affect the production? Even if the movie was a stinker we'd still have a movie night to see it to support you. Hell, there was a movie night to see Battlefield Earth...ick. If you can't bitch and moan to you friends, who can you tell?
    We'll see you there Robin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.