main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The future of Star Trek: Where would YOU boldly go??

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Pazuzu, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Trek needs a long hiatus... Hibernation might revive a horse that's being flogged to death.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Trek will definitely capitalize on the DVD market in the meantime. I just read over DVD ACTIVE that they're going to do a Klingon box set set for August. They've done a couple of these themed sets recently.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Their cheaper than getting the full season Trek DVDs at the $100+ prices they charge. I've got both the time travel and borg themed DVD sets.

A Klingon one will be cool. Problem is there are SO many Klingon themed episodes that it's going to be hard for Paraborg to pick the cream of the crop. I home Day of the Dove, Sins of the Father, and Redemption are all on that one.

4. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Only three things are known as of now:

1. Worf is on the cover

2. It'll be released August 1st.

3. The total running time is 686 minutes or 14 episodes

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Worf on the cover is always good!:)

14 eps hm? It'll interesting to see how many from each series is culled.

I'm surprised they didn't lump First ontact into the Borg themed one, as I feel due to them going in chronological order, it was essential to the timeline of the Borg Collective DVD (Before anybody yells at me, yes, I understand that it was catering to more the TV audience, but really they were going in chronological order rather than airdate order. Ergo First Contact should've been squeezed in there before Scorpion if they wanted a comprehensive history of the Borg)

6. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    The only Trek TV DVDs I own are three of the old single disc TOS DVDs. I might have to get some of these "Best Of" sets, as there's no way I'll be able to afford any of the season box sets anytime soon.

7. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    They've dropped the price on the first three seasons of both TNG and DS9 to $51.99, and the complete TNG to $380.96, which is about $54 a season. Not bad compared to where they used to be.

I might pick up the Klingon collection, and the Q collection comes out June 6. Huzzah.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    There's a Q Collection coming out soon? Cool!

EDIT: If there is another movie in the next millenium, would you like to see Q or A Q involved in it?

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I got season 1 3 6 and 7 of TNG

I'm still waiting for a price drop for 4 and 5. Glad Season 2 is down to 50 bucks though.

Even though these themed sets sound pretty cool, I don't think I'll buy them because I want all five series complete on DVD.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    You can get Best of Both Worlds in one go by getting the Borg box set. It was $37 bucks at Barnes and Noble.

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've already mentioned somewhere on this forum what I'd like to see... a movie set during the dying days of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Probably not going to happen onscreen, but who knows? Maybe in novel form?

13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Interesting

"Star Trek" franchise set for 2008 revival - paper
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters)

More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office lustre under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would centre on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million (24 million pounds) in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.

link

Should be interesting to see.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sounds like another go of the Starfleet Academy rumors. Think I'd rather have had that Romulan War one.

::hums::
    Starrr Trek babies, they'll make your dreams come true....Starr Trek babies, Scotty'll beam them up for youuu...

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I like Abrams though, he should do a decent job.

16. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Well I'm excited my first choice would have been Brian Singer to direct a movie set further in the future from TNG but my second choice is this, I mean come on a movie about Kirk & Spock not being interesting that is ILLOGICAL so I can't wait.

17. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Just as long as the film shows Kirk beating the Kobiashi Maru scenario. I've aways wanted to see that.

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I'll be seeing M:I3 to see if I like this director's style or not. I'm hoping for something fresh and takes us at least back to the days of TNG show.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Abrams is a good choice. i'm more concerned with the casting for the movie though

20. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    As much as I love the characters, I don't want to see the adventures of young Kirk and Spock. I'd rather see the formation of the Federation or the Romulan War (or both). In any case, I'm not sold on the validity of that report. Abrams would be an interesting choice, though.

=D= for the Muppet Babies reference.

21. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    how about an entirely japanese cast, filmed in japanese with subtitles ? ok, slightly surreal, but if it was done by an entirely japanese crew (director, writer, producer), and done in typically death-before-dishonour type japanese movie I think it would be awesome.

22. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    The selection of J.J. Abrams. . . great. Story? Meh.

I know, though, that a great director and script can make up for a questionable story. I'm looking forward to it.

23. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    We just have to trust JJ with the material. That guy doesn't mess around with his source material and when there's such a huge following of the product, he'll be true to it. Trust in JJ and believe in good things to come. ;)

24. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
  25. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    Not always the case. I remember reading about his Superman script. Krypton not blowing up, Kryptonian Lex Luthor, and Superman as would-be messiah to his home planet do not a true-to-source movie make. That said, I think he's a pretty skilled creative mind and that this is a different situation. Could work out well enough to get me to watch, especially since TOS is the only stuff that's ever been that appealing to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.